By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When was the last time the graphics of a game surprised you?

curl-6 said:
TranceformerFX said:

Thread Title: When Was The Last Time The Graphics Of A Game Surprised Title

Then what the f**k are we talking about? Graphically speaking, all of the games I've mentioned are better than Zelda/Mario.

Now, if you prefer Zelda's/Mario's "artistic" style - then more power to you. But preference doesn't trump fact. Now, if he had said "Coming from Skyward Sword, Breath of the Wild was what surprised me the most". But he didn't, so I only have assumptions at to what he's comparing Breath of the Wild/Odyssey to - which is why I named that list of games.

In addition to what Mzuzek said, "what surprised you the most" is fundamentally a question dependent on an individual's subjective perception. A game having more polygons and pixels may not necessarily mean it evoked a stronger response.

Then....are we going off of anecdotal experiences? "A game having more polygons and pixels may not necessarily mean it evoked a stronger response."

But what does feelings and emotional response have to with anything? Emotional attachment doesn't give an argument or opinion any more weight in your favor. If we're talking "visual response" then I even have a harder time of believing Breath of the Wild/Odyssey being more "visually responsive" than other games that have been released before it's time.

The reason why I brought up "artistic style" was because Breath of the Wild was incredibly artistic in it's graphic style. Alot like Borderlands let's say. But it's just not comparable to other games that's more viable for a "surprise" factor like the thread title implicits. And I was flabbergasted to his response is all. 

Around the Network
TranceformerFX said:
curl-6 said:

In addition to what Mzuzek said, "what surprised you the most" is fundamentally a question dependent on an individual's subjective perception. A game having more polygons and pixels may not necessarily mean it evoked a stronger response.

Then....are we going off of anecdotal experiences? "A game having more polygons and pixels may not necessarily mean it evoked a stronger response."

But what does feelings and emotional response have to with anything? Emotional attachment doesn't give an argument or opinion any more weight in your favor. If we're talking "visual response" then I even have a harder time of believing Breath of the Wild/Odyssey being more "visually responsive" than other games that have been released before it's time.

The reason why I brought up "artistic style" was because Breath of the Wild was incredibly artistic in it's graphic style. Alot like Borderlands let's say. But it's just not comparable to other games that's more viable for a "surprise" factor like the thread title implicits. And I was flabbergasted to his response is all. 

Feelings and emotional response have everything to do with it. Surprise is not an objective measurement, it's a feeling. What triggers it varies from person to person based on their own subjective perception.

Heck, maybe the poster simply doesn't game on PS4 and didn't play the games you listed.

curl-6 said:
TranceformerFX said:

Feelings and emotional response have everything to do with it. Surprise is not an objective measurement, it's a feeling. What triggers it varies from person to person based on their own subjective perception.

Heck, maybe the poster simply doesn't game on PS4 and didn't play the games you listed.

Then I guess my interpretation of what the OP had wrote as the headline is way off....

2014 when i played Ryse.. that game was a powerhouse and still holds up great today.
Star Citizen also wowed me recently.

The question was when was the as last time the graphics of a game surprised you. It was not which game has the best graphics. I agree, Breath of the wild was the genuinely last time I was surprised by its graphics. You cannot discount someone's opinion because you don't think its right. It's not about which graphics are best. 

Around the Network
TranceformerFX said:
IkePoR said:

Pixels aren't everything, friend.  

Then what the f**k are we talking about? Graphically speaking, all of the games I've mentioned are better than Zelda/Mario.

Now, if you prefer Zelda's/Mario's "artistic" style - then more power to you. But preference doesn't trump fact. Now, if he had said "Coming from Skyward Sword, Breath of the Wild was what surprised me the most". But he didn't, so I only have assumptions at to what he's comparing Breath of the Wild/Odyssey to - which is why I named that list of games.

The question was when was the as last time the graphics of a game surprised you. It was not which game has the best graphics. I agree, Breath of the wild was the genuinely last time I was surprised by its graphics. You cannot discount someone's opinion because you don't think its right. It's not about which graphics are best

TranceformerFX said:
IkePoR said:

TranceformerFX said:
IkePoR said:

The question was when was the as last time the graphics of a game surprised you. It was not which game has the best graphics. I agree, Breath of the wild was the genuinely last time I was surprised by its graphics. You cannot discount someone's opinion because you don't think its right. It's not about which graphics are best

shikamaru317 said:
CGI-Quality said:

It was considerably reduced in visual quality, yes. Was actually ironic, too, given that engine usually produces what it markets, meaning the issue rests solely in the hands of the developers and not a combo of both (as was the case with The Witcher III).

Well, at least Anthem's reveal gave us a sneak peak of what we can expect early next-gen Frostbite games to look like. Same goes for Witcher 3, I suspect that Witcher 4 (which seems to be coming in 2021) will look at least as good as Witcher 3 looked pre-downgrade. 

is witcher 4 sort of confirmed?

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

I have been surprised by most Sony exclusives.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Been surprised way more then i expected this gen. From the start of the witcher 3, all the way down to GOW, RE2, and DMC5.