By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart Wii (Yes, Wii) sells 100k in the FY ending March 2019

I remember when the game was five or six years old and it was still selling out during Christmas season. Saw desperate ads on Austin craigslist asking to buy used copy from someone for 60 dollars.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

Freaking amen. I never understood the hate it got, it's the best in the series after MK8 in my book.

SSSHHHH !! You gonna hurt DD fans sensibility if you continue like that.

We Double Dash fans are used to other people voicing incorrect opinions on the best MK ;P

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

curl-6 said:
killeryoshis said:
This is because Mario Kart Wii is awesome. At the time it was the best Mario Kart. I don't care what anyone else says.

Freaking amen. I never understood the hate it got, it's the best in the series after MK8 in my book.

That was because of "the casualz!!" Mario Kart Wii was criticised for being a casual game by many gamers, just like basically every other Wii game Nintendo published back then. Of course, every other Mario Kart game would qualify as "casual", too. But back then it was a big deal and people used it as an example to prove that the Wii wasn't for real gamers. I wrote the vgchartz review for the game and oh boy, the war was real.

Mar1217 said:
curl-6 said:

SSSHHHH !! You gonna hurt DD fans sensibility if you continue like that.

I lean DD and the nostalgia for the original SNES version, but loved the Wii version all the same and have no issues with those that liked that one best.

I was never a big fan of MKWii honestly. My favorites are MKDS, MK7, MK8(D), in that order.

But damn, 100k for a 10-yr-old twice-succeeded (arguably thrice-succeeded) game? That's intense.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
killeryoshis said:
This is because Mario Kart Wii is awesome. At the time it was the best Mario Kart. I don't care what anyone else says.

Let me read that book of yours

Doing better than a lot of launch games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

These news are making me upset. The Wii had some gems in it's library, and they weren't commercially successful; Fragile Dreams, The Last Story, The Crystal Bearers, Excitebots Trick Racing, etc. They died on release date, meanwhile Mario is out here selling 100k over a decade after release.

Kuksenkov said:
These news are making me upset. The Wii had some gems in it's library, and they weren't commercially successful; Fragile Dreams, The Last Story, The Crystal Bearers, Excitebots Trick Racing, etc. They died on release date, meanwhile Mario is out here selling 100k over a decade after release.

It is a shame that a lot of excellent Wii games got overlooked; I'd add the likes of Sin & Punishment Star Successor and Silent Hill Shattered Memories to that list. Still, I don't begrudge Mario Kart its success. It really did earn it, it bridged the new and traditional gamer demographics arguably better than any other game on the console. Its chaotic multiplayer mayhem was something almost anybody could sit back and enjoy on the couch with friends and family, from the blue ocean crowd brought in by Wii Sports to those who'd been gaming for decades.

SKMBlake said:
curl-6 said:

Let me read that book of yours

Ask me anything you like. ;)

From about 2011 onward, I saw it as the normie Mario Kart. While I played Double Dash, DS, 7, 8, etc. so many people think of Mario Kart Wii. I don't see MK8D outselling it, but MK8D is doing insanely well for a port. I wouldn't have predicted it would be the best-selling game on Switch.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima