By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart Wii (Yes, Wii) sells 100k in the FY ending March 2019

Shaqazooloo0 said:
I still see it in the Amazon top 100 everytime I check so not surprised it's still selling. I have to wonder why people are still buying after the Wii died and was discontinued though...

Wii software sales sold over 1 million for FY2019, topping the Wii U's 850K for the same time period.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:
From about 2011 onward, I saw it as the normie Mario Kart. While I played Double Dash, DS, 7, 8, etc. so many people think of Mario Kart Wii. I don't see MK8D outselling it, but MK8D is doing insanely well for a port. I wouldn't have predicted it would be the best-selling game on Switch.

And that's really what it was. Mario Kart Wii was when they got the foundation for the series right. Calling it the normal Mario Kart, or the first modern Mario Kart would also be a fair description.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is also perhaps the main piece of software driving Switch sales right now. I work in an office, and we play Mario Kart 8 religiously at lunch no less than twice a week (and five times a week when the game was new) since it launched, others see us playing and want in, so they get a Switch. While this is my own anecdote, I can't imagine that this story is not a common one; perhaps a little different depending on the situation, like University campus hangouts or grade school recess waiting places/cafeterias (whatever kids do these days).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I still find it mind-blowing that new copies of this game are selling. With over 37 million units in the wild surely there are enough second hand copies floating around to meet any remaining demand? And who is buying them? Nintendo stopped manufacturing the Wii in 2013.