By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Can Avengers: Endgame take the #1 spot beating Avatar? ...It just did !!!!

Will Avengers:Endgame beat Avatar?

Yes 68 80.00%

No 17 20.00%

Total:85
flashfire926 said:
Yes, without a doubt. It will probably get to 3 billion as well.

The real even battle is against TFA for domestic gross, tho.

Not a chance...it's having a very hard and slow time just passing Avatar right now. It just made what, $5.8 million domestically over last weekend down 39% from $8 million the previous. I expect this weekend to make half of $5.8 but if it now holds a steady $3-4 million, then yeah it will at least pass Avatar but no way in hell is it making like another $300 million at this rate.

I think worldwide over the week it went from $2715 to $2733....roughly $20 million increase. It significantly drops each weekend.

I didn't think it was going to top Avatar but I think now it could as long as it holds $3-4 million and around $10 million worldwide. As soon as it falls below $1 million a week it's over.

Around the Network
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

it won't mean anything when it does (as it seems)

this is the real list, and it won't even crack the top3

Highest-grossing films as of 2019 adjusted for inflation

1 Gone with the Wind $3,728,000,000 1939
2 Avatar $3,273,000,000 2009
3 Titanic $3,099,000,000 1997
4 Star Wars $3,061,000,000 1977
5 Avengers: Endgame film currently playing $2,733,401,768 2019
6 The Sound of Music $2,564,000,000 1965
7 E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial $2,503,000,000 1982
8 The Ten Commandments $2,370,000,000 1956
9 Doctor Zhivago $2,246,000,000 1965
10 Star Wars: The Force Awakens $2,215,000,000 2015

Yep, exactly....

Also, keep in mind with Gone with the Wind; that film was released in theaters like 7 times.

Shaunodon said:
Jumpin said:

And all of them are ancient (different time, different culture, very different industry) and not one of them is an action blockbuster; not particularly relevant comparisons since their impacts would be completely different than a film like Avatar. Films are more disposable entertainment these days; you look back at not just Psycho, but all of Hitchcock's films, and they're all classics, many took a while to gain cultural traction (Vertigo not until its remaster almost 3 decades later); but that's not particularly true about the last 15 years or so - oversaturation? The Internet? Who knows the reason. But usually what makes a film culturally relevant among new franchises is when the sequels or TV series comes out.

How about Inception. Released a year after Avatar, and based on the amount of times it's been ripped off, the amount of times it's referenced in jokes (mostly playing on the word Inception), the amount of times I've heard it's music or sound-effects used in youtube videos, memes etc., I'm willing to say it's had more of a cultural impact than Avatar. That's just one off the top of my head.

Inception, at least as far as Sci-fi related films did strike more of a chord with certain types of people who were impressed by the plot-mechanic heavy and twisty story. But in terms of pop culture references, I don't really think it was any more referenced than Avatar was (and perhaps fewer), if it did it wasn't significantly so. One of the similar breakthroughs it had was that it was criticized for being unoriginal by South Park (Avatar was said to be based on Dances with Wolves + Smurfs; inception was Nightmare on Elmstreet), and Avatar had a Simpsons THOH episode with Bart being an Avatar of the Blue Rigelians (I assume Inception did too, but I don't recall). I have not seen much or any references to Inception since around the time it came out.

Also, I am not aware of any film that has ripped off Inception.

But you do remind me of something (and it's a counterpoint against what I have written) with another Nolan film: The Interstellar black hole probably had the biggest cultural impact of any element of an independent sci-fi in recent times. I still see it frequently. But, unfortunately as a film, Interstellar has not been well regarded... Or at least not yet.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

thismeintiel said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Not really. There've been plenty of movies that are older, have had no follow up material and have had a much larger impact than Avatar did.

Plenty of films that have had sequels that still would have had a much larger impact than Avatar even without the sequels too.

Exactly. RoboCop, Predator, Alien, and Terminator are good examples. In the Alien and Terminator's case, they definitely blew up larger with the sequel, but they were already popular before it released and already made an impact on culture. Especially Arnold and his "I'll be back." Most kids couldn't even watch those films, yet they knew the characters and lines from the film, as well as bought the toys and dressed up as them for Halloween.

It's got to be almost a decade since I've seen someone have an Avatar toy or dress up as a Navi for Halloween. Haven't heard a single person reference a line from it or even know the name of one of the characters, even if they claimed to like it. No impact whatsoever. The only people who reference that movie without being provoked to either talk about how forgettable it was or how much it made. Yet, somehow, Cameron thinks Avatar sequels are his future. And this is really why it's taken him this long. He has no idea where to go with the story or is searching for some other gimmick to turn a mediocre film into a huge success.

Like much of the rest of your post, you're making this up. Since Avatar 2 and 3 have already been filmed, we can clearly deduce James Cameron knows what the story is.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
thismeintiel said:

Exactly. RoboCop, Predator, Alien, and Terminator are good examples. In the Alien and Terminator's case, they definitely blew up larger with the sequel, but they were already popular before it released and already made an impact on culture. Especially Arnold and his "I'll be back." Most kids couldn't even watch those films, yet they knew the characters and lines from the film, as well as bought the toys and dressed up as them for Halloween.

It's got to be almost a decade since I've seen someone have an Avatar toy or dress up as a Navi for Halloween. Haven't heard a single person reference a line from it or even know the name of one of the characters, even if they claimed to like it. No impact whatsoever. The only people who reference that movie without being provoked to either talk about how forgettable it was or how much it made. Yet, somehow, Cameron thinks Avatar sequels are his future. And this is really why it's taken him this long. He has no idea where to go with the story or is searching for some other gimmick to turn a mediocre film into a huge success.

Like much of the rest of your post, you're making this up. Since Avatar 2 and 3 have already been filmed, we can clearly deduce James Cameron knows what the story is.

Lol.  Oh, yea, he knows exactly what he's doing with his series.  That's why there have been constant delays in the sequels release dates and why the first sequel will come out 12 years after the first one.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

Also, I am not aware of any film that has ripped off Inception.

...please see Doctor Strange...

[edit: on topic, $46M gap to go....as of today, 6/17/19]

Last edited by Mospeada21CA - on 17 June 2019

These kind of comparisons are worthless. 10 years ago the dollar had a bigger purchasing power than today. If you correct what Avatar made that time with the inflation in the last 10 years, its box office would jump by like something between 20-30%.

Yeah, probably not going to make it without a re-release down the line. So close. Thing is Avatar is definitely getting a re-release itself at some point to warm up for the sequels

melbye said:
Yeah, probably not going to make it without a re-release down the line. So close. Thing is Avatar is definitely getting a re-release itself at some point to warm up for the sequels

Yup. I see a re-release of Avatar making a few hundred million, bring it to 3 billion or over.

After the first week or so, I thought Avengers: Endgame was a given to beat Avatar. Now, it's an uphill battle. The film's been making less than $1 million a day most days for weeks now I'm pretty sure. It will make probably another $10 mil to $20 mil. "We're in the endgame now."

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Shadow1980 said:

Looking back at Avatar's global box office figures, it appears that it made $2.74B from the original theatrical run, with the Special Edition release adding another $48M. So, if you exclude the SE re-release of Avatar, Endgame has already surpassed it. Of course, while Avatar benefited from a re-release, Endgame benefits from a decade's worth of ticket price inflation. In inflation-adjusted terms, Endgame will end up far short of Avatar. It might have had the huge opening, but its legs weren't nearly as strong as Avatar's, which were turbo-charged.

Speaking of Endgame's (relatively) unimpressive legs, I wonder why it wasn't considered a disappointment by the same people who called The Last Jedi a box office disappointment. Endgame actually bled out at a noticeably faster rate than TLJ, and, at least according to some people apparently (TLJ's critics, namely), it's the money made after the fourth week in the box office that's the real test of a movie's success.

A lot of people are forgiving the drop off because of the "must see it before I get spoiled" approach that presumably frontloaded the movie so much.  Endgame was the final movie of an 11 year movie chain, with the next Spider-Man movie serving as the epilogue.  TLJ is a Star Wars movie, which means that it opens to too much hype, unrealistic expectations, and a segment of vocal cannibalistic fans that I think now hate the franchise more than they ever loved it just because its the cool thing to do.