By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XII Appreciation and Strategy Thread

JRPGfan said:
No love for Knight + White Mage combo? (White robe + Excalibur, save on espers to unlock white magic)
Used more as a healer, than a tank....

Thats only useful for the White Robes + Excalibur combo, which does massive damage to enemies weak to holy damage (Zodiark exper for example). If not in that particular context, I dont think its very useful in exploiting each other's strenghts and you get a better result with the Bushi/Knight combination in any case. 

Around the Network
forevercloud3000 said:

My Vaan's Shikari/Time Mage combo almost never leaves my party now in the later stages of the game. His Haste spells, Being a stand in Tank or DD in a pinch is just so nice.

My usual party consists of Vaan(Shikari/Time), Ashe(Bushi/RedMage), and Balthier(BlackMage/Machinist). Note the only healer is relegated to Ashe partially but the nuance of this party is that all of them almost never get hit. Vaan and Ashe's evasion and parrying capabilities is top notch and Balthier stays effectively out of harms way. I often like to control the chaos from Balthier's pov so  can keep him a reasonable distance and ensure the others have Lure on them to control the hordes.

If that does become to hard to control I just swap Balthier for Penelo(Whit Mage/Archer) who stays equally out of harm but is actually quite OP with the bow.

This is my problem with these sorts of game. I love them but not enough to put so much dedication is to 'OP' builds. Most the time I build based on what I haven't played before.

"This game I'll give Ashe the gun and make her a black mage." That kinda stuff. 

My first playthrough of FFXIIHD (and only one as I put 50 hours in doing things and just couldn't be assed killing the last 2 optional bosses as I moved on to other games) was Fran Bushi/Foebreaker, just wailing on people. Ashe as White Mage/Archer, with constant buffs. Balthier with Machanist/Time Battle, for range and haste. One day I'll change it to Balthier is a Healer with spears or something. :)

Hmm, pie.

I remember really loving FF12 when I first played it on the PS2. The storyline irritated me a little, but the combat and exploration more than made up for it. It may have the best gameplay of any of the mainline Final Fantasy games.

I have not tried any of the recent remastered games yet. I've heard the changes to the leveling system have made the game too easy. I still may give it a shot though since the PS2 game was so good. Has anyone here played both versions and if so what did you think?

The_Liquid_Laser said:
I remember really loving FF12 when I first played it on the PS2. The storyline irritated me a little, but the combat and exploration more than made up for it. It may have the best gameplay of any of the mainline Final Fantasy games.

I have not tried any of the recent remastered games yet. I've heard the changes to the leveling system have made the game too easy. I still may give it a shot though since the PS2 game was so good. Has anyone here played both versions and if so what did you think?

I've heard this too but I don't see how that is possible when compared to the original Western release of the game. Maybe when compared to the International version of the game.

The original Western release allowed everyone to be Everything. There were no class restrictions. By a certain point you could have the entire License board unlocked with every move. Most Magical spells could be bought from the shops.

One of the more grueling things was the gambits, of which most you had to find in random chests throughout the world. Some of the chests had a low probability rate of spawning gambits or weapons, and they didn't respawn. You had to know what chest gave what and keep reseting. Then there was the infamous Zodiac Spear situation where random unmarked chests thru the game would keep you from getting the ultimate weapon.

And that's another thing, seeing as no one was beholdened to any job, they could all use the same weapons.

International Version is where the restriction to a single job class came from. And so that really spiced things up a bunch. Yet I would say that killed off some nuance that the merging of job abilities had.

Zodiac Age is a lot more well polished and challenging then the original version. But an great improvement over the International. Wish they had a way to level Espers still tho.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Ultimate movie game, all you do is sit back and watch the worst cast of characters imaginable.

Around the Network

For me its the second best FF game after 8. Story and combat are amazing. However wish it was harder. It became a bit to easy 😂

My favorite FF after VII. I took a paid day off of work when the original version launched in 2006. And this game keeps getting better and better. Currently in the Barheim Passage on the Switch.

Number 7 in my TOP FF list - excellent music and art style, interesting battle system, confusing and too political story, forgettable characters.

So far this is the FF i like the least. I'm only very early in the game but it's falling off my hands.

My opinion might change as i progress further (if i don't give up) but i doubt it will climb into my favourite episodes from what i've seen already.

forevercloud3000 said:
Dulfite said:

I was planning to do FFX-X2 next, since that released before FFXII, or are those games not good?

My hierarchy goes as follows...

VII > X > XII >IX >VI

Final Fantasy X holds a special place in my heart because it is maybe the darkest FF plot which is skillfully undermined by it's bright colors and appeal. It's themes of the Price/Value of Hope, What Makes You You, and Afterlife are just superb. The localization is honestly not as bad as people make it out to be. It's just pretty anime in it's execution. Yuna is also my favorite Protaganist in the entire series. So FFX is definitely worth playing as well. FFX-2 is an acquired taste. It's bubblegum crisis Charlie's Angels motif turned many people off but on the surface it is actually one of the most well utilized forms of FF Job Change systems seen in entries like FF3. The storyline seems more light hearted than X but it digs deeper into the anals of FFX Spira's darker history. I think it's one fault is it's heavier reliance on mini-games and strict chapter based story progression (there is a percentage thing that has many many missables and it's annoying without a guide)

This was informative and thank you! I am now more optimistic because I liked 9 and, according to you, it is not one of the better ones, so I'm hopeful for the ones I haven't played yet (which includes most of VII).