By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XII Appreciation and Strategy Thread

I AM BASCH VAN RANSEN BURG!!!

Around the Network

My second favorite Final Fantasy game (after Final Fantasy VI), it has an amazingly well realized world with lots of attention to detail, a fun strategic battle system (and some actual difficulty), a likeable cast of characters (well, excepting Vaan and Penelo, who are just boring), fantastic dialogue direction and voice acting, and tons of side content.

I started it again on the PS4 back when it launched. I got side tracked though, need to finish it again. Does the switch version offer anything new?

Man, what have I gotten myself into? I bought FFIX casually figuring I'd try my first ever FF game. I really liked it after beating it, so I bought FFIIV on Switch as well, and am loving that so far. Now I'm on a quest to beat all the non MMO and non NES FF games (I can't stand NES games, but LOVE SNES games), but I'm barely into VII, so it's going to be a while before I can play FFXII haha.

I feel like I can't read the OP or comments in this thread, as I don't want any spoilers. It's going to take me forever to do all this lol.

Dulfite said:
Man, what have I gotten myself into? I bought FFIX casually figuring I'd try my first ever FF game. I really liked it after beating it, so I bought FFIIV on Switch as well, and am loving that so far. Now I'm on a quest to beat all the non MMO and non NES FF games (I can't stand NES games, but LOVE SNES games), but I'm barely into VII, so it's going to be a while before I can play FFXII haha.

I feel like I can't read the OP or comments in this thread, as I don't want any spoilers. It's going to take me forever to do all this lol.

Well if you're not gonna play it on the NES, you can play a SNES quality port of the first Final Fantasy for the PS1, GBA, or even a higher resolution version for the PSP. 

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:
Love it. Agreed, its in the top 3 for the series for me as well. Such and underrated gem.

Not loving so much the class combos you are recommending tho. Bushi/Black Mage for example has the huge problem that Katanas are too good (probably best weapon imo), and you are not using them so long as you are casting magic and viceversa - because you are gonna want to have your Black Mage spamming scathe, amongst other things, for the late game portions of the game. Both Bushi and Black Mages are lets say, "main classes" and should be paired up with classes that support their strenghts.
I'd pair Black Mage with Monk for the sake of giving it healing possibilites or Red Mage for Ardor (if you dont wanna use the Ardor/Burning Bow combination for the Archer) and Bushi Works better with a classes that compensates its lack of Battle Lore and in late game benefit from the Khumba/Masamune/Genji Equipment combinations.
Tho thats just my personal experience, I think most job combinations work well.

Being able to bust out Black Magic as well as being a monstrous melee Damage dealer has always been the trademark of Dark Knight.  Bushi feeds off of a class that gets "Magick Potency" effects for it's Melee Damage Dealing because of the Kantana quirk. While Red Mage doesn't get as many of these as BM or WM unfortunately.  One essential perk of Red Mage being combined with Bushi is the perk of using Shields. While not important early on for Bushi, once you unlock one of the top tier Kantana that is actually a One Handed weapon it becomes the most God Like Damage dealing experience. 

Ashe w/ Bushi/Red Mage, Kumha(1H) + Shield = A unstoppable melee damage dealer that rarely if ever gets hit due to shield evasion and Katana high parry rate.

Deck her out with Genji gear for added effect of parries and counter attacks which stacks with high quotient of Multi Hits, and Counter Attacks can be multi Hits. I have had Ashe decimate a boss alone with a 4Hit, Block, Counter with 7Hits. I wanted to cry in glee.

So in my actual current game I have my Ashe is Bushi/Red Mage. I didn't catch the error(if you can call it that) at that point. My Balthier is Black Mage/Machinist. I mostly regretted this combonation on the Merit of using every job once and not having Balthier able to effectively heal for that early part of the game. Yet Red Mage is no slouch in Magic DDing

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

RaptorChrist said:
I AM BASCH VAN RANSEN BURG!!!

DON'T BELIEVE ONDOR'S LIES!!!

Greatness Awaits

think-man said:
I started it again on the PS4 back when it launched. I got side tracked though, need to finish it again. Does the switch version offer anything new?

The small but very big added component to both Switch and Xbox One versions is the new ability to Reset License Jobs. I am super jealous of this because I would have liked to have been able to experiment with more job combos without literally needing to start a new game because they are permanent. For someone who might have never played the game the permanence can be daunting. So the addition is welcomed but hoping the same patch comes to PS4 and PC versions.

Greatness Awaits

Dulfite said:

Until recent years the FF series was the pinnacle of my gaming library. I played games before it but i did not BECOME a gamer until I played FFVII. Just one of the most awe inspiring games for me. They are like a good book with multiple layers of spiritual intrigue and captivating world lore that usually speaks to something very realistic and poignant. 

Finish VII, the Materia System is grand, the story amazing.

But after you should hop onto this FFXII train because it was a refreshing twist for the series in many ways. I would say I would hope the series progresses more into it's form of "Action" combat rather than FFXV's.

Greatness Awaits

Keybladewielder said:
My second favorite Final Fantasy game (after Final Fantasy VI), it has an amazingly well realized world with lots of attention to detail, a fun strategic battle system (and some actual difficulty), a likeable cast of characters (well, excepting Vaan and Penelo, who are just boring), fantastic dialogue direction and voice acting, and tons of side content.

Everyone always seems to be down on Vaan and Penelo. I probably was too back when I first played it but replaying it now as an adult I realized some subtle nuance about the game's plot and characters that I missed.

Vaan and Penelo's purpose in the plot is that they represent the small normal commoners who are pulled and tugged by the whims of those above them.

Spoiler!
Pretty much everyone else in the party and main cast is some noble birthed Royal with a heightened purpose. It is the actions of those that people that control everyone's lives. There is a point in the game where Ashe gets her own Nethecite. Holding the power of mass destruction in the palm of her hand, realizing she can take revenge on Archadia. Vaan brings up the most important point that what kind of person would she be if she used that on the people of Archadia? Sure, Archadian government used it on Nabradia but is Eye for an Eye what we want to be doing with Nukes? That destruction was devestating, but most importantly it killed thousands of innocent people that didn't have a say in the monarchy. Vaan convinces her inadvertently that she needed to put vengeance aside and strive for justice. So in essence Vaan and Penelo's point to the story is to remind all these highborns who they are supposed to be fighting for.

Greatness Awaits