By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What unconfirmed element do you most want to see in Super Mario Maker 2?

Tagged games:

What unconfirmed thing do you want to see most? (Describe more below)

A specific enemy! 1 4.55%

A particular powerup! 2 9.09%

A campaign building mode! 8 36.36%

New multiplayer options! 4 18.18%

A new game style! 4 18.18%

Other 3 13.64%

Total:22

I'd like a 2-d boss option for bosses outside of the main 2-d Mario games. Like Dementio from Super Paper Mario, or Rawk Hawk from TTYD.

Around the Network

A world map to put your levels on, that would be amazing. Funny thing is they basically have the basics for this to port over in Super Mario Run.

HylianSwordsman said:
SvennoJ said:

Yep more sub layers would be very nice with the ability to carbon copy basic layout and affect elements in other layers for more intricate puzzle design. I loved making puzzle based levels and one of my favorite included between a past and present version of a level like in skyward sword.

Another problem I had is that moveable elements disappeared when getting out of range. I had to design my puzzle chambers in such a way that the player couldn't move too far to the right or left before finishing the puzzle, otherwise critical elements would de-spawn. One of my levels had you guide a cannon through the entire level which caused major headaches as it would disappear if I allowed the player to get too far ahead or behind of it.

Yeah puzzle design was frustratingly limited for me too. There are a lot of creative ways people got around certain limitations in the first game, but they were all insanely complicated and usually involved manipulating certain subtle mechanics or building complex contraptions offscreen. There's so much Nintendo could do to make this more complicated stuff easier, and since a lot of the part of the fanbase that made such levels were the most active and dedicated level designers, I hope they give us what we need.

There were a lot of great levels that made use of the limitations and quirks of the de-spawn system (to use more than the normal allowed maximum of certain items per level) so I guess it could never be 'fixed' for the first game, it would break levels. There were some nice mind benders because of that, especially after you became conditioned to certain things normally not being possible, or actively having to 'break' a rule to finish a puzzle.

And indeed what cycycychris said, more vertical freedom!

I hope the online is more fleshed out when it comes to browsing for levels and viewing detailed information about the levels. I liked the idea of showing the player who beat each level the fastest, and seeing where the deaths occurred. Putting together an entire 32-level game within SMM2 would be freaking sweet, and I'm really hoping they include this feature if not any others. I played through people's levels in a certain order in the original SMM to emulate the feeling of playing a full game, but it's not the same when lives don't carry over, and if you get stuck you can just skip the level entirely.

Otherwise, I really liked SMW as a kid, so chargin' chucks felt absent.

CaptainExplosion said:
I'd like to see the Double Cherry come back if it hasn't already. :)

Damn that would actually be such a good game mechanic! You could create a lot of fun switch puzzles out of that.

Around the Network

I'd like to see Cappy introduced. getting to play the game as any enemy would be really cool.

CaptainExplosion said:
super_etecoon said:
I'd like to see Cappy introduced. getting to play the game as any enemy would be really cool.

But what about the Mystery Mushroom costumes that let you play as enemies?

yeah, I guess it might be unnecessary to have it then, eh?

cycycychris said:
Vertical levels!

SvennoJ said:
HylianSwordsman said:

Yeah puzzle design was frustratingly limited for me too. There are a lot of creative ways people got around certain limitations in the first game, but they were all insanely complicated and usually involved manipulating certain subtle mechanics or building complex contraptions offscreen. There's so much Nintendo could do to make this more complicated stuff easier, and since a lot of the part of the fanbase that made such levels were the most active and dedicated level designers, I hope they give us what we need.

There were a lot of great levels that made use of the limitations and quirks of the de-spawn system (to use more than the normal allowed maximum of certain items per level) so I guess it could never be 'fixed' for the first game, it would break levels. There were some nice mind benders because of that, especially after you became conditioned to certain things normally not being possible, or actively having to 'break' a rule to finish a puzzle.

And indeed what cycycychris said, more vertical freedom!

Vertical levels are all but confirmed by the GameXplain analysis. They reconstructed the vertical scrolling portion from the trailer, and showed that it could be done in Mario Maker 1, but only if scrolling began and ended exactly with the clip in the trailer and only by utilizing every tile of vertical space, so if the level in the trailer continued for even half a second more, that would require more vertical space. So almost certainly we're getting vertical levels or at the very least more vertical freedom.

CaptainExplosion said:
I'd like to see the Double Cherry come back if it hasn't already. :)

With the new 3D World style it seems very possible. Would probably be the most interesting powerup they could add, in terms of creative potential.

super_etecoon said:
CaptainExplosion said:

But what about the Mystery Mushroom costumes that let you play as enemies?

yeah, I guess it might be unnecessary to have it then, eh?

Yeah but those were just costumes. An actual 2D Odyssey style sounds like quite a stretch, as cool as it would be, but if they did, Cappy would be way more interesting than the Mystery Mushroom.