By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Offical Sell-in numbers for PS3 - credit to ArmGunar.

Hiku said:
Evilms said:

-Image-

Is the image you provided made by Sony?

Soren0079 said:
Daniel Ahmad on Twitter pointed out the errors in Sony's report, particularly 4 million ps2 sales after 2012 that were lumped in with the ps3 sales.

That's unfortunate...
I hope they give us updated numbers for those systems,

Dulfite said:

Nothing in the OP or post since then, prior to the one I originally commented on, said this was a conversation about only Xbox and Playstation. In fact, it seemed to be just about the Playstation, but then the one comment specifically compared the ps3 and 360 sales, and I didn't know why they didn't include Nintendo's since they were comparing 7th generation. Regardless, I can tell having a conversation with you is going to be pointless as you continue to attack me. Have a pleasant day.

Ok so from my understanding, the conversation is about PS3 vs 360 because at one point it looked like they would end neck and neck, and then PS3 seemingly passed it by a bit. But some people still doubted that PS3 even passed the 360 at all, from what I've seen.
According to Sony's latest numbers, PS3 ended up almost 2m ahead of what we presume is the final number for 360. Meaning if that's correct then there should be no doubt that PS3 passed the 360. Unless Microsoft tell us otherwise. but they probably would have done that already if it really did end up beating PS3.

No one is contesting that Wii outsold both of them by a comfortable amount, which is why it isn't brought up in the conversation.

That's exactly it

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
vivster said:
I'm sure they could've squeezed the Vita numbers in between the lines.

Honestly think Sony are ashamed of it...... it was over designed, and thus overpriced, with features that wherent really needed.
It didnt sell so well, so they arnt gonna list it next to things that are worth mentioning if they can avoid it.

That explains why they show the PSP but not the Vita.
Its nots a home console vs handheld thingy (cuz then why have the PSP shown?).
Its a "we re pretending the vita wasnt ever a thing" thing.

The irony is I liked the system... but its not hard for me to admit it was a flawed system.
It sony ever does a handheld again, I hope they dont make the same mistakes.

The PSP really was just better than the Vita for its time.  It even had a quasi Switch feature with the PSP Go that was kinda lame given that it was digital only.  PSP support for PS1 was better than the Vita ffs.  Still loved my Vita though, for Vita games, when I was still doing portable gaming.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Dulfite said:
Azuren said:
This puts the official 7th Gen numbers at 87.4m for PS3 and 84m for 360.

Of course the last official 360 numbers were in 2014, so it could have still ended ahead of PS3. The ball is in Microsoft's court.

Why didn't you include Nintendo?

Aside from Nintendo winning by a large margin, Nintendo claiming multiple times they weren't competing with Sony/Microsoft, 7th Gen largely being represented by the level of performance shown by PS360, and PS360 being so close it needed a photo finish?

Because I wasn't talking about Nintendo.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

RolStoppable said:
Farsala said:

Sony is still not revealing true numbers.

At the end of FY2014/15, Sony shipments were confirmed to be at 460m, with 370m being home console sales, 22.3m was PS4.

On August 9 2018, Sony confirmed 525.3m (+65.3m) Playstation sales. PS4 was at 81.2m. (+58.9m)

Now PS4 is at 96.8m, bringing Total Playstation sales to at least 540.9m. With those Sony sales in the graph added up we get 518m, leaving 22.9m for the Vita. And I must assure you the Vita did not sell close to that. I will also note that the PS1 sales for VGC are definitely wrong too.

The PSP number is as of March 31st 2012, so it's not up to date like all the other numbers that were provided. Previous maths from years ago that was based on other information have put the PSP at at least 82.0m, so there are only 17.3m unaccounted units that need to be split up between the Vita and PSP. There's no definitive answer to that question, but overall the numbers add up.

PSP is clearly out of date. And after PSP sold 82m, the Vita and PSP did not ship 17.3m.

Thus we have

Unaccounted units for PS3 and PS2 still yet to be added. Here is a stronger breakdown.

Known sales PS3 at 74.1m

Known sales PS2 at 155.1m

Unknown sales PS2+ PS3 at 16.5m.

If one estimates PS2 at 156.5m or 157.5m, then that means PS3 sold >89.2m or >88.2m as of March 31 2015. However the PS3 didn't end shipments until October 2016 for USA and ~May 2017 for Japan. If PS3 at 87.4m is true, than that means PS2 sold >158.3m.

Around the Network

My guess is that once Vita is done for a few years, we'll probably get its info, as well. But, it's cool getting the official PS3 numbers, now. It definitely finished in 2nd.

BraLoD said:
Farsala said:

PSP is clearly out of date. And after PSP sold 82m, the Vita and PSP did not ship 17.3m.

Thus we have

Unaccounted units for PS3 and PS2 still yet to be added. Here is a stronger breakdown.

Known sales PS3 at 74.1m

Known sales PS2 at 155.1m

Unknown sales PS2+ PS3 at 16.5m.

If one estimates PS2 at 156.5m or 157.5m, then that means PS3 sold >89.2m or >88.2m as of March 31 2015. However the PS3 didn't end shipments until October 2016 for USA and ~May 2017 for Japan. If PS3 at 87.4m is true, than that means PS2 sold >158.3m.

I'm sure there is enough info scrambled on the internet to work out some math after this numbers, would be really cool to see someone dig deep into it to figure close estimates.

I can't find a date to when did Sony stop the production worldwide for the PS3, with new units still being sold last year here I feel like some countries had still a year of production or so going on.

If we round PS3 sales to 88M that would put PS2 at around 157.5M, right?

Are you sure some of those unnaconted sales are also not from PSP?

With how the PS2 was selling in 2011 (~4M, down from ~6M from 2010) I find it hard to believe that with production ending in 2012 it still shipped 3M units to go up from 155 to 158M

PS2 higher than 157M doesn't seem too likely to me, 156M looks completely possible, tho, giving PSP its boost to the supposed 82M figure someone once reached. (Can't remember who)

I really hope someone can put all figures together now.

Zhugeex believes it shipped 4m after March 2012. I believe the PS3 had the higher share. But nobody really knows. Shipments of new units to Europe and Australia ended in March 2016, followed by North America which ended in October 2016 Heading into 2017, Japan was the last territory where new units were still being produced until May 29, 2017, when Sony confirmed the PlayStation 3 was discontinued in Japan.

The confirmed numbers are as below:

Known sales PS3 at 74.1m, FY2014/15

Known sales PS2 at 155.1m, FY2011/12

Unknown sales PS2+ PS3 at 16.5m., FY2014/15

At the end of FY2014/15, Sony shipments were confirmed to be at 460m, with 370m being home console sales, 22.3m was PS4. So 90m for PSP and Vita, PSP is not more than 82m, so 8m for Vita.

On August 9 2018, Sony confirmed 525.3m (+65.3m) Playstation sales. PS4 was at 81.2m. (+58.9m) Notice here the 6.4m discrepancy, likely Vita and PS3.

Now PS4 is at 96.8m, bringing Total Playstation sales to at least 540.9m, but probably a bit more with Vita.

Of that 540.9m, PS1 shipped 102.49m, PS4 shipped 96.8m, PS2 at least 155.1m, PS3 at least 74.1m Vita and PSP at least 90m (82m PSP and 8m Vita?), leaving 22.41m. 16.5m of which is guaranteed PS2 or PS3, leaving 5.91m or more which is likely all Vita.

Sony didn't give lifetime numbers even for some old consoles. Considering that PSV sales remain hidden under the rug and good numbers only were revealed, maybe this non-uniform reveal is a PR move to make more discussions happen and so get some more free publicity.
Or maybe it's because a non-uniform reveal makes it more difficult to deduce PSV numbers from previously revealed total Sony consoles sales.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Evilms said:

I always thought that the best measure to consider which was the best console of a generation was not how much console units a console sold but how many games/software it sold. In that regard, is really impressive how well X360 and PS3 did, both surpassing Wii, and both with the best ratio by far compared to the rest of consoles. 

PS3 was a financial problem for Sony, no doubt about that, but as a gaming console, it was a juggernaut. In my opinion it still has the best/largest library of any PS system. The amount of new ip's, new first party games, goty game contenders that launched in that gen has not been surpassed in this one in my opinion. Just remember: Uncharted, The Last of Us, LittleBigPlanet, Assassin's Creed, Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect, Batman Arkham, Bioshock, ... plus established ip's getting to another level like Call of Duty, Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, Far Cry, Battlefield, FIFA, NBA 2k, ....and of couse succeful old franchises like Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Ratchet and Clank, Grand Theft Auto, ... still doing great.

I joke that PS3 was the most expensive marketing campaign for PS4, but it really was. Without Sony's effort with PS3 during 2009-2013, PS4 wouldn't have had started as good as it did.

Last edited by colafitte - on 27 April 2019