By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Offical Sell-in numbers for PS3 - credit to ArmGunar.

Thanks for the credits :)

And for PS4 software unit sales, 881.1m sold is WITHOUT FY2013 (from PS4 launch to end of March 2014) and WITHOUT FY2014 (April 2014 - March 2015)

But we know that as of 4th Jan 2015 (almost end of FY2014), there were 81.8m units sold-through (therefore much more sold [=shipments+digital sales])

So for PS4, it's a minimum of 881.1 + 81.8 = 962,9m sold

Evilms said:

Around the Network
Eagle367 said:
My question is even though PS3 sold so much hardware and software, how was it still a bigger financial failure than the Wii U? It just boggles the mind

Impossible to prove. Whenever Nintendo has had a very unsuccessful console, they had a handheld doing very well and making lots of money. It has covered up the detrimental impact of the console. Even the PSP to a degree made PS3 look better than it was.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Eagle367 said:
My question is even though PS3 sold so much hardware and software, how was it still a bigger financial failure than the Wii U? It just boggles the mind

Impossible to prove. Whenever Nintendo has had a very unsuccessful console, they had a handheld doing very well and making lots of money. It has covered up the detrimental impact of the console. Even the PSP to a degree made PS3 look better than it was.

Actually not at all for Nintendo. Because even in their worst hour, they never stopped giving numbers. So if you crunch in the numbers for all of the 3ds hardware and software and take them out of the equation plus the other stuff ninty spent money on, you can tell how much of it the Wii U was eating up. And have you seen the charts of Sony when PS3 was selling Vs now? And the same for Ninty with Wii U. Ninty was always close to 0 with little losses while Sony's gap was huge. Ninty are just better at managing their business when their consoles fail than Sony are, which is why we're lucky they are so good at marketing their consoles. Otherwise PS and possibly Sony would die out. If you want to actually dig deep, it is not only possible but also probable that you can prove or disprove my hypothesis.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

double post
Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 27 May 2019

tri post

Around the Network

quad post

quint post

sextuple post

Eagle367 said:

sextuple post

Quick, someone give @Eagle367 a sedagive!!!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Eagle367 said:
outlawauron said:

Actually not at all for Nintendo. Because even in their worst hour, they never stopped giving numbers. So if you crunch in the numbers for all of the 3ds hardware and software and take them out of the equation plus the other stuff ninty spent money on, you can tell how much of it the Wii U was eating up. And have you seen the charts of Sony when PS3 was selling Vs now? And the same for Ninty with Wii U. Ninty was always close to 0 with little losses while Sony's gap was huge. Ninty are just better at managing their business when their consoles fail than Sony are, which is why we're lucky they are so good at marketing their consoles. Otherwise PS and possibly Sony would die out. If you want to actually dig deep, it is not only possible but also probable that you can prove or disprove my hypothesis.

When PS3 costed (lost) 200 per console, selling 80+M will be a much bigger loss than the 15M sold by WiiU.

Still, people will have a lot of good games and follow through to PS4 because of it, while WiiU wants to be forgotten.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."