By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If the 9th gen consoles launch with BC in 2020, is there any reason to produce 8th gen consoles beyond 2020?

Tagged games:

When will both 8th gen consoles end production?

Today 1 3.23%

Tomorrow 1 3.23%

2019 0 0%

2020 0 0%

2021 1 3.23%

2022 22 70.97%

2525 6 19.35%

Total:31

It will depend on the individual companies goals. If they want to make more money now, then to keep selling last gen consoles is a no brainer. If they want a faster transition with possible more money later, as I expect MS to want more, then they will phase them out quicker.

Around the Network
Trumpstyle said:
vivster said:
So you don't believe that 8th gen consoles will be considerably cheaper than 9th gen consoles when they launch?

Nothing is confirmed yet, but it's very likely microsoft is launching a cheap 4TF disc-less console for $250-$300 and a more expensive 12TF version with a disc-drive for $500. So for microsoft is should be no point to keep selling 8th gen consoles as they won't be cheaper.

But for Sony PS4 should be about $100 cheaper than PS5, maybe $150 if they do a super slim version.

You mean the same company that is about to release a disc-less current gen console for 250 bucks?

By that logic Sony should have stopped production on the PS1 the moment the PS2 was released, and yet it wasn't until 2006 that the PS1 was discontinued, the same year that the PS3 launched.

I see the ps4 continuing for a few years, I can see xbox one not so much long after the launch of the next system.

I am more likely to adopt digital purchases but only when on sale real cheap with BC. But I dont want to see a physical box go away, I love the excitement of getting one at launch and unboxing it and firing it up for the first time, checking out the menus and features of new tech.

Plus that new tech smell. :D

Of course there is a reason, very low entry price to have people joining and signing PSN+

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I voted 2022, but it will likely go for even longer than that. PS4 is going to keep selling just like PS2 did.

Now, I think the OP has half a point. The Pro model should be phased out soon after the PS5 comes out (or maybe soon before). There is no reason to get a "high end" PS4 when a PS5 does the same job only better. PS4 keeps selling because it is cheap. PS4 Pro does not have that advantage. PS5 makes PS4 Pro obsolete.

Darashiva said:
By that logic Sony should have stopped production on the PS1 the moment the PS2 was released, and yet it wasn't until 2006 that the PS1 was discontinued, the same year that the PS3 launched.

By the end you could get one of those mini PS1 units for like $50. At the of PS2's life, I think it was like $99. Meanwhile PS3 never officially went much lower than $200 while the PS3 with a HDD stayed around $250.

Now we are nearing the end of the 8th gen and they're still officially $299. I get the impression there is no desire to sell hardware at a low price anymore. They just want people to move to the next console.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

DonFerrari said:
Of course there is a reason, very low entry price to have people joining and signing PSN+

Well the lowest PS3 and 360 really got, with a HDD, was like $250. I mean the average price and not a deal.

The lowest I really see X1 and PS4 going is also $250.

If the cheapest model 9th gen can achieve $299 and its technically superior, then why bother with the 8th gen console? But my argument is entirely dependent on a cheap model at launch.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

Well the lowest PS3 and 360 really got, with a HDD, was like $250. I mean the average price and not a deal.

The lowest I really see X1 and PS4 going is also $250.

If the cheapest model 9th gen can achieve $299 and its technically superior, then why bother with the 8th gen console? But my argument is entirely dependent on a cheap model at launch.

the plan of super slim PS4 is for it be cheaper. Also X1 got 179 promotions already. Plus MS wouldn't put X1 SAD if they where to stop manufacturing at November this year.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Bofferbrauer2 said:

2. Improve 8th gen games? Very doubtful, as that would need new textures and code on games that don't sell anymore. It's just not worth it for the publishers, they'd rather release a remastered version to sell it again to you. Sony might do that for their own games, but that's about it.

No, it wouldn't need new textures and code.

Thanks to the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X most PS4/XBO-games already use dynamic resolutions. The textures are already made for 4K-resolutions, even if the current console hardware reduces the resolution most of the time.

A game with dynamic resolution in a range of 1440p to 2160p on PS4 Pro / Xbox One X could run in solid 2160p (4K) without changing any code. A game with unlocked FPS in a range of 40 - 60 fps on PS4 Pro / Xbox One X could run with solid 60 fps without changing any code.

Additionally Sony has patented texture replacements for older games: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-10-07-sony-patent-sparks-playstation-5-backwards-compatibility-rumours-again