By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - How can we best improve VGChartz?

How can we best improve VGChartz?

Better sales numbers 618 68.97%

More articles/news/reviews 57 6.36%

Better social features 11 1.23%

More GameDB features 10 1.12%

More customizations (aka VG$ Store) 3 0.33%

Better mobile experience 117 13.06%

General bug/design fixing 40 4.46%

More admin tranparency 15 1.67%

Other 25 2.79%

Total:896

Sometimes I think people wish for the golden age of VGC and don't realize that that time has come and gone, and it doesn't have to do with numbers, users, image, or console wars.

VGC came into existence when we were still using MySpace, flip phones, and landlines. I spent hours and hours refreshing the front page. At that time I spent hours and hours in front of my PC. When I got home from work that's where I went. And on my days off the PC was never far away. The cameraderie of the site was amazing and it was great to have people to communicate with about a hobby we all enjoyed, as opposed to wading through Yahoo forums or the dreaded IGN/Gamespot forums.

Around 2010 (and for some before) both Facebook and smartphones really took off. Facebook is a time sink and especially was for the first half of this decade. And no one can stop looking at their smartphone screen these days. Sadly, and there's not much to be done about this, VGC was never optimized very well for the small screen. Between obtrusive ads, unclickable links, and the general difficulty of posting anything lengthy or meaningful, it just became easier and easier to quit VGChartz. Not permanently, but certainly more successfully than it ever had been between '07-'10. I mean for a few years there I may have had a clinical addiction.

I don't know if this anecdote is true for everyone, but I know it is true for me. I usually only hit VGC while at work, and usually I delete my comments before posting them to avoid arguments or thoughts that I don't have time to follow or finish.

I still appreciate the site, especially in these last few years as changes are being made for the better design wise. The numbers will never stop being fun and entertaining and informative.

I do think the front page could use some softening, with more rounded edges, cleaner lines, and maybe just fewer sections. The top bar looks nice and clean, but the moment you drop down into the main page, clutter seems to reigns supreme. I think that's because there are several aspects of the site all vying to be the most important part of the front page, which I understand. It takes a team to make something like this work and you don't want anyone's work to seem overshadowed. No matter what you'll never be able to please all of us, or even a majority of us, but it's great to see the site looking for input on a regular basis.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
A disagree button!

I am in opposition to this. There is a reason FB doesn't have a thumbs down option. This would be used as a trolling tool faster than you can say "*insert console name* is shit."

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

The best Vgchartz was Version 1.0 hands down. i loved the white template in 2008 everything was colourful and everything loaded very fast

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

super_etecoon said:
Sometimes I think people wish for the golden age of VGC and don't realize that that time has come and gone, and it doesn't have to do with numbers, users, image, or console wars.

VGC came into existence when we were still using MySpace, flip phones, and landlines. I spent hours and hours refreshing the front page. At that time I spent hours and hours in front of my PC. When I got home from work that's where I went. And on my days off the PC was never far away. The cameraderie of the site was amazing and it was great to have people to communicate with about a hobby we all enjoyed, as opposed to wading through Yahoo forums or the dreaded IGN/Gamespot forums.

Around 2010 (and for some before) both Facebook and smartphones really took off. Facebook is a time sink and especially was for the first half of this decade. And no one can stop looking at their smartphone screen these days. Sadly, and there's not much to be done about this, VGC was never optimized very well for the small screen. Between obtrusive ads, unclickable links, and the general difficulty of posting anything lengthy or meaningful, it just became easier and easier to quit VGChartz. Not permanently, but certainly more successfully than it ever had been between '07-'10. I mean for a few years there I may have had a clinical addiction.

I don't know if this anecdote is true for everyone, but I know it is true for me. I usually only hit VGC while at work, and usually I delete my comments before posting them to avoid arguments or thoughts that I don't have time to follow or finish.

I still appreciate the site, especially in these last few years as changes are being made for the better design wise. The numbers will never stop being fun and entertaining and informative.

I do think the front page could use some softening, with more rounded edges, cleaner lines, and maybe just fewer sections. The top bar looks nice and clean, but the moment you drop down into the main page, clutter seems to reigns supreme. I think that's because there are several aspects of the site all vying to be the most important part of the front page, which I understand. It takes a team to make something like this work and you don't want anyone's work to seem overshadowed. No matter what you'll never be able to please all of us, or even a majority of us, but it's great to see the site looking for input on a regular basis.

Gaming aside, this has impacted many forums. They are dead for most part as the main social media outlets is where people go now.

TBH I can see why as its convenient, however nothing ever beats a clean looking forum to easier find information, but I grew up that way. Most kids now jsut want to skim through something and move on, they don't even care to respond.

Look at TIKTOK app, I still don't get that lol. 80% the videos on there are so pointless. I downloaded it because i didn't know what it was and it was recommend app lol. 

super_etecoon said:

I thought this was just me.  I usually type out 3 to 5 messages a day and then don't submit, because I'm likely to offend someone, not on purpose, sometimes I think it's just language barrier issues or me not being specific enough in my original thoughts.  But then someone will usually say what I was going to an hour or so later and I figure oh well.  But this has nothing to do with improving the site.  I've enjoyed all the recent changes and some of my favorite threads are the prediction ones.  

Perhaps an official weekly, monthly, or quarterly prediction thread on something that allows the winner's avatar to be displayed on the front page until the next winner.  Change it up though so it's not always the same thing that's being predicted each time.

^This is one of my posts I now feel like deleting because it sounded better in my head than it looks in print.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

Mobile functionality was my biggest issue, but that has largely been resolved in the last couple months. Beyond that, as I've stated many times, I'd prefer to see a bit looser moderation in the forums. I suppose better sales charts would be great. But, I understand those have become difficult to deliver.

Someone else mentioned limiting the number of related articles..... I see value in that as well. We don't need to see a separate article for every country where a game hits number one, for example. But, I'm also not really bothered by this. It's just something I can see as possibly bothersome to others. And, with that said, considering how much Trunks does with articles, if it's something he likes doing, I certainly wouldn't push back with any force

Last edited by VAMatt - on 23 April 2019

I like to rephrase my statement into ban all mods except bristow and hiku

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

TalonMan said:
Skeeuk said:

The best Vgchartz was Version 1.0 hands down. i loved the white template in 2008 everything was colourful and everything loaded very fast

I did bring back a "blue" theme - you just have to be a Supporter, in order to use...   

I had no idea, when did that come to the Supporter program?!?!

starcraft said:
TalonMan said:

I did bring back a "blue" theme - you just have to be a Supporter, in order to use...   

When they relaunched the program a bit at end of last year? Right around that time. I sub'd for a couple months and I love the blue retro theme.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

TalonMan said:
starcraft said:

...maybe at some point, I ought to put together a "recap" thread of all the recent changes. I always bump these types of threads to "red" status once a feature is implemented - but if you happen to not be on the site for a day or two, there's a good chance you miss it and have no idea (which apparently happened right here, with the site themes).

The past 6 months have been EXTREMELY busy with updates, so I should probably gather them all up and post a brief reminder about all of the changes.

I think thats a good idea if you want to encourage supporters.

Also, now a supporter!