By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Favorite Final Fantasy and favorite Final Fantasy character?

Favourite FF: VI
Overall better game. Everything is top notch, multiple characters with depth, great story/pacing/'stageplay', great villain, great music, gorgeous sprites, great battle system, iconic moments..

Favourite Character: Vivi from FFIX
I just identify with this type of character, unusual/odd hero (not your typical strong adventurer), introverted, feeler, introspective, etc.

Special mention to the most underrated from the series i've played so far and played again recently: FFV & Lenna <3

Last edited by exceedingdeath - on 13 April 2019

Around the Network
heip0ran said:
i played only ffx and ffxii and only loved xii alot big beautiful world well designed and alot of exploring amazing music and unique game play
one of the best i played in my life the only thing that it not have a character i liked much over all an amazing game and will always to me one of the best in gaming..

I actually never played XII.  I plan on picking it up on Switch later this month.  Can't wait to play it because it is one of the few main numbered games I have not yet played.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I love Final Fantasy, my favourite game is FFVIII and within that game is my favourite character, Selphie Tilmitt. I tend to like the more silly, cheerful characters like Selphie, Laguna, Zack, Rikku etc and think they embody the goofiness that a Final Fantasy game requires. I like the Squalls, the Terras and the Lightnings of the series too but no matter how serious their stories are, a character who can make light of things is often going to appeal to me, especially if we get to see that there is something more than just a positive outlook to them.

While not the main focus of the story, I always liked Selphie, she's cheerful, loyal to her friends and positive with near limitless energy. She unfortunately has to experience some tragedy too but I think it shows how strong she really is. She shares a similar background, being a war orphan at a young age, but during the course of the story she has to come to terms with the consequences of being in SeeD, ultimately having her home destroyed with countless innocents and her closest friends killed in retaliation for participating in a major mission. As she witnesses the ICBMs launch towards her home town, she convinces Squall to separate the team into two groups in order to best stand a chance at protecting Balamb from the same fate, with her leading one to infiltrate and destroy the military base that will fire the shots. This mission almost costs her and her team their lives and at the end as they realise they are trapped, they speak what they assume are their final words. During this scene, Selphie takes some consolation in the fact that they have done their part to help the people at Balamb Garden. But hearing the regrets of her friends she gets it together as something ignites in her to take any chance possible at survival, no matter how slim.

As revealed later, it pays off and the party survives. Its during this stage of the game we see some hints that Selphie is struggling and for a brief period she is removed from your party, when she comes back though, she is ready to face the destruction of her home, asking Squall that they head for Trabia next. Here she gets closure and gains the perspective that she can't quit, the forces that did this to innocent people cannot be allowed to continue. She keeps it together and makes me think that maybe she's the strongest and most well adjusted of the party. She even had Squall pegged from the very beginning and near the end, although she respects him, she knows his limits and that he sometimes needs somebody else to spur him into action. So she'll have to make up his mind for him and haul his indecisive ass back to Esthar.

I like all the main characters of FFVIII but I think Selphie is the one that will actually get things done, I could see her as future president of Esthar one day, unless she establishes her own country or colonises another planet.....mmmm Selphie...Selphieroth....is Selphie really Jenova????

I also like that she runs a blog, organises a music show, flies the Ragnarok and has the most insanely powerful limit break in the game. She also knows how awesome Laguna is, well everyone does but she isn't afraid to say it!

Top 10 FF Games

1. FFVIII - The best
  2. FFXI - Maybe the second best
  3. FFXII -See above
  4. FFVII - See above
  5. FFX - FFX sits here
  6. FFVI - Maybe the sixth best
  7. FFV - See above
  8. FFXV - See above
  9. FFIX - See above
  10. FFII - FFII is here and is massively underrated in my opinion.

Top 5 FF Heroes (Male)

1. Squall Leonhart - He's more complex than you, or Quistis, think.
  2. Cloud Strife - Poor lad, he's a bit of a mess but he gets through it eventually.
  3. Zack Fair - Just a cool guy, he's the hero that Cloud needed instead of Sephiroth.
  4. Laguna Loire - Another great guy, he's like the male version of Selphie.
  5. Auron - Badass, not even death stops him, his only weakness is a pretty girl doing an elaborate dance.

Top 5 FF Heroes (Female)

1. Selphie Tilmitt - She cherishes everything, except Irvine's feelings of course. 
  2. Rinoa Heartilly - She's a nice, normal person who gets swept up in things far beyond her.
  3. Yuna - I really like the growth and transformation from the beginning of FFX to the end of FFX-2.
  4. Aeris - She's pretty cool, like Selphie. She's got things worked out too.
  5. Tifa - She realises her past mistakes and makes up for them by helping Cloud see who he really is.

Top 5 FF Villains

1. Ultimecia - She's already won in her time, if it wasn't for her manipulation of time creating her inescapable fate she'd be undefeated. Her design is amazing, she lives in a castle full of monsters, her boss battles are epic and there is some mystery to her before she enacted her vengeance upon the world. If FFVIII ever gets a spin off, I'd like to see the story of Ultimecia.
  2. Sephiroth - He's Sephiroth!
  3. Ardyn - He's evil, but I sympathise on some level as he was completely screwed over, haven't played his dlc chapter yet, he might take the top spot! Also, this time the villain actually succeeds and helps the hero too as well, in a horrible twisted way of course.
  4. Vayne - He's an evil genius who succeeds in removing power from the gods, ultimately he becomes one of those gods with his defeat ironically accomplishing his goal of handing control back to humanity.
  5. Kuja - Poor lad, I feel a little sorry for him, he's a complete ass and deserves his eventual defeat but there are reasons for why he ended up that way.

Shiken said:
Wyrdness said:
IX - Overall favourite due to gameplay and felt like a homage to the series, VI is a close second.

Kefka - Changed the dynamic of the series as not only did he succeed but his actions were just down to him just being a basket case who did what he wants for the hell of it, the affect he has on the world in VI is something SE tried to replicate with both Sephiroth and Ardyn but not to the same impact as in VI you dealt with Kefka's atrocities in the first half of the game and in the second half you have to deal with the aftermath of not only yours but also those who were your enemies' failure to stop him.

This reminds me of my biggest problem with X.  There is no defacto nemesis in the game that has a huge impact to the story.  I mean, Seymore tried to fill that role, but he always just seemed more like a side villain who got in the way TBH.

But this is kind of a double edged sword I guess because the way they handled Sin led into one of the biggest plot twists of its time, and had their been anyone else in the lime light it would have taken away from what Sin really was or the impact behind him.

FFX for me personally had a number of issues but the de facto villain wasn't one of them as it was a change in approach to how they did the main motivation for the party it was actually one of the things I liked in the game however the execution of it hampered the approach and had silly issues. An example was how non of the cast told Tidus at the start what was going to happen to Yuna that part felt it was just hidden for the sake of it to push things later on in the game.

Game: FF7

Character: Sephiroth

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Shiken said:

This reminds me of my biggest problem with X.  There is no defacto nemesis in the game that has a huge impact to the story.  I mean, Seymore tried to fill that role, but he always just seemed more like a side villain who got in the way TBH.

But this is kind of a double edged sword I guess because the way they handled Sin led into one of the biggest plot twists of its time, and had their been anyone else in the lime light it would have taken away from what Sin really was or the impact behind him.

FFX for me personally had a number of issues but the de facto villain wasn't one of them as it was a change in approach to how they did the main motivation for the party it was actually one of the things I liked in the game however the execution of it hampered the approach and had silly issues. An example was how non of the cast told Tidus at the start what was going to happen to Yuna that part felt it was just hidden for the sake of it to push things later on in the game.

But did Tidus really need to know?  It makes sense to me for two reasons personally.

1. Tidus had enough on his plate with being torn from his world with no way of knowing if he would return.  His entire life was uprooted, what benefit would there be in adding even more sadness on top of all that.

2.  Most of the early group was VERY close to Yuna.  They understood the sacrifices as in their world this was normal, but they wanted to cherish the time they had left together.  Tidus, not being from their world, would likely be constantly talking about "another way" or possibly just asking a whole lot of questions.  He would not be able to comprehend it as this was not normal where he was from.  So instead of telling him and being constantly reminded of the inevitable, they just did not want to talk about it for the sake of making their final memories happy ones.

Thats how I see it anyway.

Shiken said:
Wyrdness said:

But did Tidus really need to know?  It makes sense to me for two reasons personally.

1. Tidus had enough on his plate with being torn from his world with no way of knowing if he would return.  His entire life was uprooted, what benefit would there be in adding even more sadness on top of all that.

2.  Most of the early group was VERY close to Yuna.  They understood the sacrifices as in their world this was normal, but they wanted to cherish the time they had left together.  Tidus, not being from their world, would likely be constantly talking about "another way" or possibly just asking a whole lot of questions.  He would not be able to comprehend it as this was not normal where he was from.  So instead of telling him and being constantly reminded of the inevitable, they just did not want to talk about it for the sake of making their final memories happy ones.

Thats how I see it anyway.

1. I'd say yes as the plight of summoners being such a common occurrence in that world that everyone in the world knew except him, they didn't know he had been uprooted from elsewhere early on they just assumed he had memory loss.

2. Again this was common knowledge for people in this world and him being from another world wasn't in their knowledge for a long time they brought him along on their journey not disclosing the details of the job which doesn't make sense in any world and made things worse as to him it was like a picnic. It would have served the story better if he was informed early on then starts to feel a certain way about it as the game progresses when him and Yuna become close.

FFIV
Rydia

XD84 said:
FFIV
Rydia

Honorable mention, Golbez is my favorite Final Fantasy villain.

Wyrdness said:
Shiken said:

Well, Auron was the only one who knew what Tidus did and didn't know, he also knew more about the whole summoner, guardian and Sin thing than anybody but never let on because he had a clear goal. As for the others not informing Tidus, they could have assumed he knew, I think some of them (Wakka for example) could even have been lying to himself that maybe this time Yuna wouldn't die, he did delude himself about his brother's death. Kimahri probably wouldn't say anything, so that just leaves Lulu and eventually Rikku who might've said anything, but Rikku wasn't there the whole time and didn't Tidus make it known that his father was Jecht? Anyone living in Spira would assume that the son of Sir Jecht would know what goes on with the battle to defeat Sin.

It's not the only way they could have told the story, but I do think it's an acceptable one.