I love Final Fantasy, my favourite game is FFVIII and within that game is my favourite character, Selphie Tilmitt. I tend to like the more silly, cheerful characters like Selphie, Laguna, Zack, Rikku etc and think they embody the goofiness that a Final Fantasy game requires. I like the Squalls, the Terras and the Lightnings of the series too but no matter how serious their stories are, a character who can make light of things is often going to appeal to me, especially if we get to see that there is something more than just a positive outlook to them.
While not the main focus of the story, I always liked Selphie, she's cheerful, loyal to her friends and positive with near limitless energy. She unfortunately has to experience some tragedy too but I think it shows how strong she really is. She shares a similar background, being a war orphan at a young age, but during the course of the story she has to come to terms with the consequences of being in SeeD, ultimately having her home destroyed with countless innocents and her closest friends killed in retaliation for participating in a major mission. As she witnesses the ICBMs launch towards her home town, she convinces Squall to separate the team into two groups in order to best stand a chance at protecting Balamb from the same fate, with her leading one to infiltrate and destroy the military base that will fire the shots. This mission almost costs her and her team their lives and at the end as they realise they are trapped, they speak what they assume are their final words. During this scene, Selphie takes some consolation in the fact that they have done their part to help the people at Balamb Garden. But hearing the regrets of her friends she gets it together as something ignites in her to take any chance possible at survival, no matter how slim.
As revealed later, it pays off and the party survives. Its during this stage of the game we see some hints that Selphie is struggling and for a brief period she is removed from your party, when she comes back though, she is ready to face the destruction of her home, asking Squall that they head for Trabia next. Here she gets closure and gains the perspective that she can't quit, the forces that did this to innocent people cannot be allowed to continue. She keeps it together and makes me think that maybe she's the strongest and most well adjusted of the party. She even had Squall pegged from the very beginning and near the end, although she respects him, she knows his limits and that he sometimes needs somebody else to spur him into action. So she'll have to make up his mind for him and haul his indecisive ass back to Esthar.
I like all the main characters of FFVIII but I think Selphie is the one that will actually get things done, I could see her as future president of Esthar one day, unless she establishes her own country or colonises another planet.....mmmm Selphie...Selphieroth....is Selphie really Jenova????
I also like that she runs a blog, organises a music show, flies the Ragnarok and has the most insanely powerful limit break in the game. She also knows how awesome Laguna is, well everyone does but she isn't afraid to say it!
Top 10 FF Games
- FFVIII - The best
- FFXI - Maybe the second best
- FFXII -See above
- FFVII - See above
- FFX - FFX sits here
- FFVI - Maybe the sixth best
- FFV - See above
- FFXV - See above
- FFIX - See above
- FFII - FFII is here and is massively underrated in my opinion.
Top 5 FF Heroes (Male)
- Squall Leonhart - He's more complex than you, or Quistis, think.
- Cloud Strife - Poor lad, he's a bit of a mess but he gets through it eventually.
- Zack Fair - Just a cool guy, he's the hero that Cloud needed instead of Sephiroth.
- Laguna Loire - Another great guy, he's like the male version of Selphie.
- Auron - Badass, not even death stops him, his only weakness is a pretty girl doing an elaborate dance.
Top 5 FF Heroes (Female)
- Selphie Tilmitt - She cherishes everything, except Irvine's feelings of course.
- Rinoa Heartilly - She's a nice, normal person who gets swept up in things far beyond her.
- Yuna - I really like the growth and transformation from the beginning of FFX to the end of FFX-2.
- Aeris - She's pretty cool, like Selphie. She's got things worked out too.
- Tifa - She realises her past mistakes and makes up for them by helping Cloud see who he really is.
Top 5 FF Villains
- Ultimecia - She's already won in her time, if it wasn't for her manipulation of time creating her inescapable fate she'd be undefeated. Her design is amazing, she lives in a castle full of monsters, her boss battles are epic and there is some mystery to her before she enacted her vengeance upon the world. If FFVIII ever gets a spin off, I'd like to see the story of Ultimecia.
- Sephiroth - He's Sephiroth!
- Ardyn - He's evil, but I sympathise on some level as he was completely screwed over, haven't played his dlc chapter yet, he might take the top spot! Also, this time the villain actually succeeds and helps the hero too as well, in a horrible twisted way of course.
- Vayne - He's an evil genius who succeeds in removing power from the gods, ultimately he becomes one of those gods with his defeat ironically accomplishing his goal of handing control back to humanity.
- Kuja - Poor lad, I feel a little sorry for him, he's a complete ass and deserves his eventual defeat but there are reasons for why he ended up that way.