By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Climate change is inconsequential (because Peak Oil is a bigger issue)

Alby_da_Wolf said:

Food production can afford to be so energy inefficient because without the taxes that get it expensive for road transport use, fuel is still quite cheap, this is bad for the environment, but at the same time it can help avoiding a disaster on this front, as if and when it will be really necessary, there will be plenty of room for efficiency improvements, not to mention that the rich part of the world currently wastes an awful and shameful amount of food, we can and we must improve on that front too.
It's more likely that agriculture (and breeding and some food processing too) will have to become very soon a lot more efficient on water use, I guess.

I think that is already happening, but it's very dependent on the regions. Some regions don't do anything, others are preparing for the future changes and others already have to adapt, as their old ways don't work anymore (for instance in the sahel region, but also parts of southern Europe).

Around the Network

I'm guessing this was an early April Fools joke. But then again, this is VGChartz.

MrWayne said:
VAMatt said:
Peak oil and climate change are both greatly overblown, in terms of their threat to our way of life.

Humans are very adaptable. I have no concern whatsoever in our ability to survive, and to keep improving the average quality of life indefinitely. There may be some hiccups here and there. But, the long term trend line always has been, and always will be moving in the right direction.

But who will pay for it? I like my money and I don't want to spend it on polder for the goddamn dutch.

Pay for what?

VAMatt said:
MrWayne said:

But who will pay for it? I like my money and I don't want to spend it on polder for the goddamn dutch.

Pay for what?

Building higher levees in the Netherlands.

Though considering he's German, he should be worrying more about Friesland, which would be equally affected. All those jokes being lost...

There is growing sentiment that global warming will have minimal impact. I saw an article a few weeks back saying that somewhere around 70% said minimal to no impact based on a survey of climatologist and meteorologist, but for the life of me I can't find the original article, which wasn't from a biased source. Now all I can find is one from Britbart, which pisses me off, because I wouldn't believe it if it was the only place I found it. But here it is: https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2015/07/31/new-study-majority-of-climate-scientists-dont-agree-with-consensus/

It at least has a link to the actual study. Here's another link from National Association of scholars where it's estimated to be closer to 40% - https://www.nas.org/articles/Estimated_40_Percent_of_Scientists_Doubt_Manmade_Global_Warming

I don't know about global warming, I'm not qualified - but I am gaining steam in believing Google is filtering its results to not show dissenting opinions. I could find none of them using Google, a few more using Edge, and the most using DuckDuckGo. Feel free to experiment by typing anything about a study going against the consensus of global warming among the different search engines and you'll see it too. Basically Google just pulled up articles confirming Global Warming and one about how Americans deny it because they're dumb. Never really believed they were filtering (I guess) conservative content till now.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Around the Network

Allow cannibalism: food problems and overpopulation solved. Population size will balance out.

epicurean said:

There is growing sentiment that global warming will have minimal impact. I saw an article a few weeks back saying that somewhere around 70% said minimal to no impact based on a survey of climatologist and meteorologist, but for the life of me I can't find the original article, which wasn't from a biased source. Now all I can find is one from Britbart, which pisses me off, because I wouldn't believe it if it was the only place I found it. But here it is: https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2015/07/31/new-study-majority-of-climate-scientists-dont-agree-with-consensus/

It at least has a link to the actual study. Here's another link from National Association of scholars where it's estimated to be closer to 40% - https://www.nas.org/articles/Estimated_40_Percent_of_Scientists_Doubt_Manmade_Global_Warming

I don't know about global warming, I'm not qualified - but I am gaining steam in believing Google is filtering its results to not show dissenting opinions. I could find none of them using Google, a few more using Edge, and the most using DuckDuckGo. Feel free to experiment by typing anything about a study going against the consensus of global warming among the different search engines and you'll see it too. Basically Google just pulled up articles confirming Global Warming and one about how Americans deny it because they're dumb. Never really believed they were filtering (I guess) conservative content till now.

Checked both links.

Breitbart is, well, Breitbart, and I take everything they say with a Megaton of salt.

NAS, or national Assocoiation of Scolars, however is a conservative advocacy group, and it's positions are very close to those of hardline conservatives and neoconservatives They blocked readings of Civic rights in Universities and called for rejecting multiculturalism in school newspapers while at the same time preaching freedom of speech. They tried to shrink the history lessons down by limiting military, economic, diplomatic, scientific and political history in favor of historical teachings about race, class and gender.

As for their article, it has one major issue: They just say "scientists" - which can be of any science and thus not necessarily qualified for the question, like climatologists would be. They are also quoting the Singer and his NIPCC, which is a climate change denialist group. The fact that despite this they could only get up to 40% is basically shattering their whole thread they were trying to spin. They had to scrape the bottom of the barrel and still only reached 40%.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 01 April 2019

JRPGfan said:
Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Climate change is a myth. Climate change is absolute crap! There is no such thing as climate change. Climate change is not man made, it does not exist. Carbon dioxide does not create climate change.

Its all just a coincidence that as CO2 concentration rises, our global temp. on the planet does as well right?
People are drawing the wrong conclusions? and its in no way man made?

Nothing to worry about right?

I hope you are being sarcastic since 97% of climate scientists have researched and agreed that man made climate change is real. I'll only listen to people who spent their lives researching this stuff. Not anyone else whether they are the smartest physicist, some huge world leader or an idiot on the internet. I don't care how dmart you are, it's not what you dedicated your life researching. And I want actual proof of a conspiracy if 97% of all climate scientists are telling a lie and the proof needs to be indisputable since our specie's existence depends on it

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Bofferbrauer2 said:
VAMatt said:

Pay for what?

Though considering he's German, he should be worrying more about Friesland, which would be equally affected. All those jokes being lost...

Well, nobody should be paying for anyone else's stuff.  Dissolve the EU and part of that problem will be solved.  

VAMatt said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Well, nobody should be paying for anyone else's stuff.  Dissolve the EU and part of that problem will be solved.  

But I also don't want that these bastards come to my home town once their cities have sunken. What should I do? Buy Guns? Do water proof guns exist?