By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Climate change is inconsequential (because Peak Oil is a bigger issue)

I honestly couldnt give less of a shit of climate change and whatnot. We'll all be dead anyways before we see any too many consequences.

Honestly, I still have my doubts about it. Just last year, my city had the most snowfall since like 1996 or something.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network

Can this be moved to Political Discussion where it unfortunately belongs?

The reality is we'll have long run out of safe drinking water by centuries before global warming has the chance to wipe out all living things.

Manbearpig is cause #1

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Well then, I'm convinced. Lets all ramp up our carbon footprint I want that shit to be visible from space!

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
MrWayne said:
VAMatt said:

Well, nobody should be paying for anyone else's stuff.  Dissolve the EU and part of that problem will be solved.  

But I also don't want that these bastards come to my home town once their cities have sunken. What should I do? Buy Guns? Do water proof guns exist?

How about build a wall and make them pay for it?

Player2 said:
MrWayne said:

But I also don't want that these bastards come to my home town once their cities have sunken. What should I do? Buy Guns? Do water proof guns exist?

How about build a wall and make them pay for it?

They will probably swim around it or even over it
But maybe I'm just too concerned about the negative implications of climate change, at least I don't have to drive as far to get to the beach.

Mnementh said:

People need to realize that coal and oil is just stored past solar energy, while we could actually use current solar energy. That's why I always have to chuckle at the notion that solar power cannot replace fossil fuels.

It's actually a huge intractable problem to replace fossil fuels with solar energy because of the fact that the former by itself is an extremely good medium for storing energy but we have no viable solution for the latter. If we mined all of the lithium in this world, we'd only have enough to create roughly 1 billion mid-sized cars with similar mileage so North America and Europe would buy all of the lithium if they could leaving nothing else in the process for the rest of the world or other appliances/utilities ... 

Honestly, I'd bet nuclear fission taking off before seeing either solar or wind energy take off because of logistical reasons ... 

Wind energy is probably doomed to only be able to meet 30% of the total energy capacity and solar is even more doomed accounting for no more than 10% in the distant future ... 

If being green comes at the cost of deindustrialization which inevitable leads to austerity then it's going to be a very harsh future like we observe now with how the gilet juanes in France reacts to a price increase in gas ... 

the-pi-guy said:
Dark_Lord_2008 said:

Climate change is not created by humans.

the correct term here is caused.  Climate change is caused by humans.

Climate change is natural and not a problem at all.

Climate change can be natural, but all of the evidence points to the current trend as being man driven.  

Historically climate change is a big issue, regardless of whether it's natural or not.  Just because something is natural doesn't mean that it's not a problem.  

Companies can be trusted to self regulate and do what they believe is best for the environment. Politicians must not take any action on climate change.

They really can't.  Clearly you haven't been paying attention to the environment.  

Imposing taxes on citizens for climate change will have an adverse impact upon the economy.

Climate change will also have an adverse effect on the economy.  

Governments need to wait and see before taking action on climate change.

They have already waited over 100 years.  Climate science dates back to the 1800's.  

There is no cheap alternative to oil that can be used to replaced oil to keep the high energy consumption based economy going.

There are actually a few.  Solar in particular is quickly becoming very cheap.  

Companies must market oil as green energy, claim they are reducing carbon emissions with improved technology and  claim oil as a more efficient energy source with less damage to environment.

Marketing and claiming lies doesn't fix anything.  

o_O.Q said:

"Climate change will be irreversible by 2030."

climate change was always irreversible

the climate at no point in earth's history has been static

"Static", no.  But the climate has been consistent for the past 10,000 years.  

"But the climate has been consistent for the past 10,000 years.  "

yes since the last ice age, how many more years do you wager that would have been the case?

" Climate change is caused by humans."

it is? how did the cavemen cause the last ice age to stop?

"all of the evidence points to the current trend as being man driven."

so the climate wasn't going to ever warm up again at some point in the future by your reckoning?

"Climate change will also have an adverse effect on the economy.  "

not necessarily, someone may come up with technology to reverse the trends that are supposed to be occurring

its odd how people unilaterally accept that technology can cause climate change in one direction... but its not possible for technology to cause it in the other

Last edited by o_O.Q - on 01 April 2019

something that i've been wondering about for some time now is that it is known that the planet has gone through repeated cycles of cooling and heating over time
causing various degrees of flooding and ice formation over that time
is the current climate science suggesting that we humans are somehow going to keep the state of he planet constant going forwards?
because obviously at some point in the future the planet will warm up regardless of our impact on it since we've been coming out of an ice age... i'd like to hear some discussion on that