By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSA: Sony is planning to take the ENTIRE Driveclub franchise off the Playstation Store on August 31st, server shutdown also planned for next year

the-pi-guy said:
It seems incredibly bizarre for them to remove it from the PS store.

Especially since the game can be played offline...

It has been mentioned a few times in this thread, driving games are typically  subject to 5 year licencing deals from the manufacturers, it comes down to whether it's worth renewing those deals to keep the game on the store.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

Hopefully we get a new Drive Club at the launch of PS5. The need of a good arcade racer is real. I'll be happy with a new Motorstorm or Drive Club next gen.

Sony did a similar thing with MAG, Warhawk, GT5, and others. I guess the online community isn't enough to justify its existence anymore.

This is why I don't like GaaS.

Streaming would be even worse, as then nothing would be playable anymore after March 31 2020, not even the singleplayer.

flashfire926 said:
KLAMarine said:
Why? Why stop? Two driving sims is one too many?

Driveclub is not an simulation racer, it's rather more to the arcade side with a some sim elements in it.

If you say so. Looks pretty sim to me.

Around the Network

Seems like the game isn't making enough money to maintain the licensing deals. There really isn't any other reason to remove it from the digital stores except for the reason it costs alot to keep it on there.

By now gamers should have a decent PC to at least play a Forza Horizon game. They don't seem like there going anywhere anytime soon.

flashfire926 said:
Deslisting is completely normal for racing games. Forza games also get delisted within 4 to 5 years. Unfortunately it's all in the hands of the real life car manufacturers, and there's nothing that can be done about that.

All developers/publishers of racing games could and should push for better contracts with longer licenses. Especially the big publishers like Microsoft, Sony, EA and Ubisoft should be in a position to manage that.

But it is probably a welcomed excuse for them to sell more newer racing games with higher profit margins than selling the older games for nickels.

So even if I can understand these business decisions, all publishers of racing games should be called out on that behavior instead of settling for "there's nothing that can be done about that".

Conina said:
flashfire926 said:
Deslisting is completely normal for racing games. Forza games also get delisted within 4 to 5 years. Unfortunately it's all in the hands of the real life car manufacturers, and there's nothing that can be done about that.

All developers/publishers of racing games could and should push for better contracts with longer licenses. Especially the big publishers like Microsoft, Sony, EA and Ubisoft should be in a position to manage that.

But it is probably a welcomed excuse for them to sell more newer racing games with higher profit margins than selling the older games for nickels.

So even if I can understand these business decisions, all publishers of racing games should be called out on that behavior instead of settling for "there's nothing that can be done about that".

But where exactly is the problem for the customer here?

You've had years to buy the game digitally.
You can still buy the game physically (new and used).
The game is not being removed from your digital library.

So why should any company pay millions for licenses so that a few latecomers can buy the game digitally. That's just silly. That money could be spent much better on developing a sequel.

Delisting, ok. It happens with racers thanks to car licensing.

Shutting down online play though? Didn’t it sell over 10 million and has a VR title? Weird move. If only Sony had a fee to play online so they wouldn’t make moves like that.

Sad to hear that
It is a great game with potential

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS