By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - Nintendo Switch Gameplay Footage

Amnesia said:

It looks exceptionnal, but there is not PS4 version running next to it, and a closer look makes notice that there is NO shadow at all, lights and ambiant effects also seem nearly absent.
What seems too surprising here is the resolution of the textures which is unusual on the Switch.
Maybe there are still deep potential of optimisation on the Switch, and this would reveal that PS4 and XBOX1 are often poorly optimised and dev are lazy on these machines.

The very first assertion you made is shown false 30 seconds in.  The shadows are soft, but they are there.

And no, this isn't the most spectacularly amazing UE4 game of all time but the game was made by a small team on a small budget.    It's hardly laziness.  Also, diminishing returns have made gaps like this less visibly distracting.  

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
Amnesia said:

It looks exceptionnal, but there is not PS4 version running next to it, and a closer look makes notice that there is NO shadow at all, lights and ambiant effects also seem nearly absent.
What seems too surprising here is the resolution of the textures which is unusual on the Switch.
Maybe there are still deep potential of optimisation on the Switch, and this would reveal that PS4 and XBOX1 are often poorly optimised and dev are lazy on these machines.

The very first assertion you made is shown false 30 seconds in.  The shadows are soft, but they are there.

And no, this isn't the most spectacularly amazing UE4 game of all time but the game was made by a small team on a small budget.    It's hardly laziness.  Also, diminishing returns have made gaps like this less visibly distracting.  

I was not talking about static shadows which are actually from texturing. There is no dynamic shadows.

Amnesia said:
Nuvendil said:

I was not talking about static shadows which are actually from texturing. There is no dynamic shadows.

So was I, dynamic shadows are present.  Senua is very obviouslycasting one at all times.  Resolutionof the effect and lighting makes them hardto see in some instancesand there is one instance were they seem not to be working right.  But they are there.  Also, those other shadows are absolutely not baked.

Nuvendil said:
Amnesia said:

So was I, dynamic shadows are present.  Senua is very obviouslycasting one at all times.  Resolutionof the effect and lighting makes them hardto see in some instancesand there is one instance were they seem not to be working right.  But they are there.  Also, those other shadows are absolutely not baked.

I am sure Digital Foundery can't wait more to dig this one....

curl-6 said:

While it is difficult to get an exact assessment from off-screen footage, this does look like an extremely impressive conversion, especially considering how demanding the base game is. Hellblade is probably the most graphically advanced Unreal Engine 4 game to date, and unlike ports like Doom and Wolfenstein II it doesn't have the luxury of halving the framerate on Switch as it's already a 30fps game on PS4/Xbone.

At this point it's looking very likely I'll be picking this one up when it launches. I hope we get a release date soon.

I just hope we don't get fooled again like with ARK Survival revolved.

https://clips.twitch.tv/DistinctTemperedMageMau5

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
curl-6 said:

While it is difficult to get an exact assessment from off-screen footage, this does look like an extremely impressive conversion, especially considering how demanding the base game is. Hellblade is probably the most graphically advanced Unreal Engine 4 game to date, and unlike ports like Doom and Wolfenstein II it doesn't have the luxury of halving the framerate on Switch as it's already a 30fps game on PS4/Xbone.

At this point it's looking very likely I'll be picking this one up when it launches. I hope we get a release date soon.

I just hope we don't get fooled again like with ARK Survival revolved.

https://clips.twitch.tv/DistinctTemperedMageMau5

To be honest. ARK bamboozles everyone on every platform it runs on. Crap of course.

Amnesia said:
Nuvendil said:

I'm sure they will.  This isn't the first game on Switch though to have shadows be so low res that they become hard to distinguish.

What is missing, though, is ambient occlusion.  That's what has the lighting looking a bit flatter than usual.  That and someone has the contrast.cranked down and the brightness cranked up. 

Nuvendil said:
Amnesia said:

I'm sure they will.  This isn't the first game on Switch though to have shadows be so low res that they become hard to distinguish.

What is missing, though, is ambient occlusion.  That's what has the lighting looking a bit flatter than usual.  That and someone has the contrast.cranked down and the brightness cranked up. 

These light reflexions still looks amazing here...

We are on a really different scenario than 10 years ago with Wii vs PS3/X360. Now the illusion is perfect (from some distance).

It is harder to fool people when the game runs on a so large screen and available for visitors. Otherwise this will be a scandale really.

I predicted this port would be solid. The assets look good on the video but I anticipate the real compromise will be resolution.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

A possible explanation : it runs on the Switch Pro with the Tegra X1 not constrained anymore so it can deliver the full 1TFLOPS.