By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - Nintendo Switch Gameplay Footage

Looks great and seemingly runs well, too.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
curl-6 said:

While it is difficult to get an exact assessment from off-screen footage, this does look like an extremely impressive conversion, especially considering how demanding the base game is. Hellblade is probably the most graphically advanced Unreal Engine 4 game to date, and unlike ports like Doom and Wolfenstein II it doesn't have the luxury of halving the framerate on Switch as it's already a 30fps game on PS4/Xbone.

At this point it's looking very likely I'll be picking this one up when it launches. I hope we get a release date soon.

I just hope we don't get fooled again like with ARK Survival revolved.

https://clips.twitch.tv/DistinctTemperedMageMau5

God, don't remind me.

To be fair, I don't think this will be another ARK though. In this case the base game is pretty well optimized and looks great, while ARK is an ugly unoptimized mess even on Xbox One X. Ninja Theory, Nintendo, and QLOC also seem to have a lot of confidence and pride in this port, which i don't think they would if they knew it was gonna turn out to be donkey shit. They wouldn't be drawing this much attention to a turd.

Mr Puggsly said:
I predicted this port would be solid. The assets look good on the video but I anticipate the real compromise will be resolution.

It usually is with UE4; it's an expensive engine, games running on it often run at a lower res than you'd expect, even on PS4 and Xbox One. Plus if I understand it correctly raw fillrate and bandwidth is Switch's biggest weakness versus the dedicated consoles.

Honestly though, I managed to thoroughly enjoy my playthrough of Doom on Switch pre-patch, when it averaged around 612p, and even Wolfenstein II which can drop even further, so this could end up being 540p and it probably won't compromise the experience for me.

Amnesia said:
A possible explanation : it runs on the Switch Pro with the Tegra X1 not constrained anymore so it can deliver the full 1TFLOPS.

Even at full clocks, Tegra X1 isn't 1 Teraflop. What I think you're thinking of is the GPU being clocked at 1GHz, as it is in the Shield TV. From what I understand though, this throttles down to the Switch's docked speed of 768MHz when it gets hot anyway, so Nintendo simply locked it at that for consistency.

And FLOPS aren't a very useful metric of power anyway. It's like using horsepower as a measure of speed between cars, trucks, boats and planes. Switch portable for example has just over half as many raw FLOPS as the Xbox 360, yet it outperforms MS's last gen machine in real world performance.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 30 March 2019