By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wall Street Journal: Nintendo to release two new Switch models as early as summer

gamer model. will be interesting to see how much of an improvement it is.

Around the Network
twintail said:
KLAMarine said:

It's never a bad thing to have more choice.

Bezel size?

The black borders around the screen.

Imho they are too big .

Yeah they are too big. Especially how most phones today the screen goes really straight to the edge.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

"Industry watchers expect sales for the Switch to begin declining soon. Analysts polled by Visible Alpha, a provider of market forecasts, anticipate on average that 17.9 million units of the Switch will be sold in the fiscal year ending this month, followed by 17.4 million in the following year."

Um, these "analysts" are idiots. There's no way, even if there isn't an updated Switch released this year, that the Switch will sell less next FY than in this one that's about to end. Not with the list of games coming out from June on this year. The Switch is already selling ~30% better in '19 than this point last year, with basically no big new games. The increase will only get more pronounced once the big games start releasing.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

Why people in here is just assuming there will be a pro model, none of the article indicates or mentioned it will an enhanced version. Actually the article mentioned it will be a cheaper version . Thus i assume it will be a portable like previous report and rumor.

For me i would like to see a longer batteries and re allocation of mini usb port so the Switch can be charge while on standing modes. Pro mod is welcome but if it getting pro mod i hope there will be no exclusives games on pro mod and divide the market.

Edit: So i miss read, actually it said one will have an enhanced version but will not as powerful as Ps4 pro or Xbox One X. So indeed probably there will a pro model

Last edited by HollyGamer - on 25 March 2019

I hope, with the mini version, they launch an official mini dock that works for all switch models.

Around the Network

Another week, another rumor. Don't they get tired of reposting same stuff?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

kenjab said:

"Industry watchers expect sales for the Switch to begin declining soon. Analysts polled by Visible Alpha, a provider of market forecasts, anticipate on average that 17.9 million units of the Switch will be sold in the fiscal year ending this month, followed by 17.4 million in the following year."

Um, these "analysts" are idiots. There's no way, even if there isn't an updated Switch released this year, that the Switch will sell less next FY than in this one that's about to end. Not with the list of games coming out from June on this year. The Switch is already selling ~30% better in '19 than this point last year, with basically no big new games. The increase will only get more pronounced once the big games start releasing.

That's why they are called analysts, because their forecasts are mostly based on ass pulls. It works because every big investor nonetheless listens to them anyway.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Jumpin said:

I am not sure where you are reading that. It’s  near certain they’re going with the iOS model in that all Switch systems will receive support for X amount of years, independent of whether or not new hardware is released. That means, unless a special exemption is granted, software must work on all supported hardware units in the family. They already said that the current Switch model has a 7 year plan, so there’s nearly 5 years left before they stop mandating support.

He's probably referencing the 3DS's late games, which technically ran on a 3DS, but where such a stuttery mess that they were only really playable on a New 3DS.

The big question for these models is the hardware. Did NVidia relent and make custom chips for Nintendo now? Or will it just be an X2 with 2 different clock speed settings (basically switch and switch plus modes)?

Also, I seriously hope for a bigger battery. These things have gotten a lot cheaper and more compact over the last 2 years, so unless the weight gain would be too much I don't see why not going for about 5500-6000 mAh (30% increase, basically 1 hour more in demanding titles if the consumption is the same)

I'm pretty happy with my Switch right now, not going to upgrade anytime soon. If however the OG Switch may get too sluggy, I will possibly upgrade later down the road - but not before 2021. My nephew or my niece would then probably inherit the base model.

What I find interesting is the timing. With the slew of games coming out this year, Switch will already sell let hot pancakes, so I was expecting new hardware to only come out next year to keep the sales high. Maybe the fact that some bugs cracked the security of the X1 chip and it not being patchable could have been used as leverage to get a new, safe chip from NVidia. I guess we'll see at E3 (I don't imagine Nintendo squanders that announcement on anything less than their E3 direct)

In any case (lame pun considering what's gonna follow), I don't think the dimensions will change much, if at all. That would allow to upgrade the cheap one with more feature-rich Joycons (one feature removed for instance is vibration according to the kokatu article I read) and allow Labo to work with the new models without a fuss. They could also keep the current Dock and cables (and this time implement USB 3.x correctly, please) in production.

In other words, only the internals would change, but the external dimension will be left unchanged - it's too standardized to change them now.

I think you’re absolutely right on this. Although, it is not likely that games will be given a pass if their performance on the Switch 1 model are too rough before a certain date. This is up to Nintendo. For example, ~2022 might mark a point where performance on the older model becomes less strict, but older models must be supported. Then  ~2024 is where Nintendo drops support for older models - which could still mean they will test software on older models to ensure it doesn’t cause any major bugs (like bricking or 100% crashes).

I’m in the same boat, if a new Switch does come out, I will either wait for generation 3 or a cheap sale of generation 2 down the road. Although better joycon tech (which I don’t expect, now) and better battery life would probably convince me to make the jump early.

As for Nvidia, they have the Xavier and Orin chipsets. I don’t know a great deal about these, or their dimensions and power requirements. Only that they are used for devices paired with cars. Custom versions of these (or one of these) are conceivably what could be used in the Switch 2 family. That would be a substantial upgrade.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

HollyGamer said:
Why people in here is just assuming there will be a pro model, none of the article indicates or mentioned it will an enhanced version. Actually the article mentioned it will be a cheaper version . Thus i assume it will be a portable like previous report and rumor.

For me i would like to see a longer batteries and re allocation of mini usb port so the Switch can be charge while on standing modes. Pro mod is welcome but if it getting pro mod i hope there will be no exclusives games on pro mod and divide the market.

The article says two new models, one will be stronger and more expensive than the other. It is likely similar to an iOS generation where they release two new model phones, one a stronger and more expensive version than the other.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
HollyGamer said:

The article says two new models, one will be stronger and more expensive than the other. It is likely similar to an iOS generation where they release two new model phones, one a stronger and more expensive version than the other.

I already edit my post . But it still unclear because they said "“You would be wrong to think the enhanced version is similar to what Sony did with PS4 Pro and the other is just a cheap alternative that looks very similar to some past hand-held machines, say, Sony’s PlayStation Vita,”