By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wall Street Journal: Nintendo to release two new Switch models as early as summer

Pinkie_pie said:
So the current model wont be able to play new games after the new model releases. Im gonna trade in my switch tomorrow hopefully i can get decent credit for it

I thought it would be like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X where all games works on both thw original and new hardware.  Because that would be a pretty dumb move. Unless they decided to do this so more third party ports comes to the Switch (like GTA, Overwatch, COD) 

And why tommorow? Shouldnt you wait until this is all confirmed? 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
twintail said:
Honestly, decrease the bezel size

Not sure if that's possible without risking damaging the screen with the dock.

Marth said:
Cheaper handheld model + Animal Crossing + Pokemon = lots of sales

That almost sounds like an understatement now. That's no Falcon sales' Punch anymore, that's more like Fist of the north Star!

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Jumpin said:

I am not sure where you are reading that. It’s  near certain they’re going with the iOS model in that all Switch systems will receive support for X amount of years, independent of whether or not new hardware is released. That means, unless a special exemption is granted, software must work on all supported hardware units in the family. They already said that the current Switch model has a 7 year plan, so there’s nearly 5 years left before they stop mandating support.

He's probably referencing the 3DS's late games, which technically ran on a 3DS, but where such a stuttery mess that they were only really playable on a New 3DS.

The big question for these models is the hardware. Did NVidia relent and make custom chips for Nintendo now? Or will it just be an X2 with 2 different clock speed settings (basically switch and switch plus modes)?

Also, I seriously hope for a bigger battery. These things have gotten a lot cheaper and more compact over the last 2 years, so unless the weight gain would be too much I don't see why not going for about 5500-6000 mAh (30% increase, basically 1 hour more in demanding titles if the consumption is the same)

I'm pretty happy with my Switch right now, not going to upgrade anytime soon. If however the OG Switch may get too sluggy, I will possibly upgrade later down the road - but not before 2021. My nephew or my niece would then probably inherit the base model.

What I find interesting is the timing. With the slew of games coming out this year, Switch will already sell let hot pancakes, so I was expecting new hardware to only come out next year to keep the sales high. Maybe the fact that some bugs cracked the security of the X1 chip and it not being patchable could have been used as leverage to get a new, safe chip from NVidia. I guess we'll see at E3 (I don't imagine Nintendo squanders that announcement on anything less than their E3 direct)

In any case (lame pun considering what's gonna follow), I don't think the dimensions will change much, if at all. That would allow to upgrade the cheap one with more feature-rich Joycons (one feature removed for instance is vibration according to the kokatu article I read) and allow Labo to work with the new models without a fuss. They could also keep the current Dock and cables (and this time implement USB 3.x correctly, please) in production.

In other words, only the internals would change, but the external dimension will be left unchanged - it's too standardized to change them now.

I mostly agree with you.

The Tegra X2 should be the most sensible approach for the Pro model, as it would guarantee compatibility with the original Switch and, not being a custom part, it would also be "cheap". And with two power modes, users could have what's currently the TV performance mode when in portable while also having better graphics and performance when in TV mode.

The security flaw should be a reason for the change as Nintendo, much to the surprise of anyone, managed to patch it via software. They'll probably keep using it for the smaller model.

Finally yes, a bigger battery life should be one of the new upgrades for both consoles.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Wait, they aren't scared of Stadia? But I thought hardware was dead? JK.

Seriously, I want both, but I already have one and it's just me and my wife. We want to play animal crossing and stardew valley together, so I don't know if I'll go the handheld route or the premium route. Will that play exclusive games like the New 3ds, or will it just make games look better that can be played on any of them?

I really thought they would wait next year for the premium model, but I guess it is best to have the Switch family established before next gen

Around the Network

I really hope the pro isn't just an upgraded dock, I only ever play handheld.

A better screen (smaller bezels), more power (in between PS4 and PS4 pro) and as good or better battery life (I'd be happy with 3.5-5 hours in Zelda, no need for more than that). I don't think splitting the base through exclusive games is a good idea at all, so I hope that it doesn't lead to that, a 3DS/iOS like system where they're designed with the new one in mind but still play on the old console would be ideal imo. Ideally it'd be $300 USD, but it might need to be $350 to support the boost in power.

A Switch Lite (6 inch screen maybe?) with a better screen, equal power, better battery life and a slightly reduced price point ($220 USD maybe?) would be massive, even if I don't care for it.

I hate “pro” models and I am slowly being trained not to buy a new console until the pro comes out.

edit: a more portable model sounds fine, won’t be buying one for myself, but if cheap enough maybe one for my kid.

It's never a bad thing to have more choice.

twintail said:

Bezel size?

KLAMarine said:

It's never a bad thing to have more choice.

twintail said:

Bezel size?

The black borders on the sides, top and bottom of the screen.

OT: Would like to see this "pro version", hopefully this can get current triple A titles on it even just for 1080p max.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

^ kinda like going from phat ds towards dsl

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.