By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Have you ever faced unemployment or long term unemployment before?

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
No job within 3 months of graduating, I accepted I had wasted my time and took on another study course. I briefly started a Drafting course for a new start but I gave up on that within 2 months because it was not what I wanted to do and the employment prospects of getting work seemed bleak. With months I considered doing a lab tech course but that was grasping at straws and there were hardly any jobs in that field. I was desperate to get back into a field of study that would lead to a guarantee job. No idea how to write resumes, cover letters and I could not handle the pressure of face to face interviews. Doing work for the welfare, is the only experience I have had for the last 10 years. Job services do not help with resume, cover letter or even set people up on job placements like they did back in the good old days and they no longer pay for study courses, driver's licenses, forklift tickets or purchase new clothes needed for job interviews.

Man part of being on Centrelink (not disability one but actual Centrelink) is to do these things. Salvation Army Employment Plus is what Centrelink uses to send you to improve your chances.

https://www.employmentplus.com.au/

Ring them they will help you.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
Dark_Lord_2008 said:
No job within 3 months of graduating, I accepted I had wasted my time and took on another study course. I briefly started a Drafting course for a new start but I gave up on that within 2 months because it was not what I wanted to do and the employment prospects of getting work seemed bleak. With months I considered doing a lab tech course but that was grasping at straws and there were hardly any jobs in that field. I was desperate to get back into a field of study that would lead to a guarantee job. No idea how to write resumes, cover letters and I could not handle the pressure of face to face interviews. Doing work for the welfare, is the only experience I have had for the last 10 years. Job services do not help with resume, cover letter or even set people up on job placements like they did back in the good old days and they no longer pay for study courses, driver's licenses, forklift tickets or purchase new clothes needed for job interviews.

Man part of being on Centrelink (not disability one but actual Centrelink) is to do these things. Salvation Army Employment Plus is what Centrelink uses to send you to improve your chances.

I switched to disabled pension within 2 years of being an unemployed graduate and have no need to look for work. I could not cope with the stress of being unable to find work and having no assistance. I have been with those useless agencies in the past and they did nothing for me. Unless you have experienced something you will not understand. I had a job capacity assessment and no work capacity and signed up with a disabled service provider because of my anxiety issues. I prefer the disability service providers over the useless employment agencies.

You can have someone who has finished their studies, but because they lack real life work experience, and no one is prepared to give them a fair go so they can gain the experience (even if the job they applying for is not what they studied and just applying for anything), the years of rejection will take its toll. This is a individual thing, but everyone is different when it comes to rejection, and eventually, a limit will be reached. You can bet the attitude will change.

Let's say hypothetically speaking, you finish your studies are uni, and you are now in your early 20s. You are full of energy and the right attitude to do what you can to find a job. 6-12 months of job hunting into an area you have studied has gotten you nowhere, so you expand your search to settle for anything you are capable of doing. Another 12 months goes by and you still unemployed because yo lack the actual experience and no one wants to give you a chance to gain the experience. You get more and more frustrated because no one will give you a fair go and you start to begin to doubt yourself. Now another 3 years have gone by and doing everything you can do to try and gain a job, you still are unemployed because no one wants to give you a chance to gain the experience.

End result, after so long and having so many rejections after rejections, you finally had enough and don't care any more. This is what will happen. And there are people who end up not caring anymore whether they have a job or not and just live off the dole, because of the simple reason that no employer wanted to give these people a fair go at a younger age when they first went into the job market.

https://www.lipstickalley.com/threads/5-years-out-of-college-im-an-unemployed-loser.818470/
A very similar story to mine. Long term unemployed, could not find any employment after graduating, feels like black sheep of the family. Other family and friends get jobs easily despite not working hard or going to college, because life came easy for them. Feel like a nobody, a total loser and unemployable is not something anyone will understand if they are not in the same position. People not in a similar position will not understand, because life came easier to them. I applied for many jobs and nothing. Long term unemployment increases existing mental health issues and can lead to mental health issues like chronic anxiety and depression as a direct result of the hopelessness of having no future and being stuck and the endless judgement and belittling from other people creates social anxiety.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-26/jericho-our-long-term-unemployment-headache/5343362

You get put into the too hard basket and the employment services simply give up on you and you are left to rot. Multiple barriers to employment, drug, alcohol, substance abuse issues, mental health issues, criminal record and no relevant skills or work history, no employer wants to take a risk on a long-term unemployed person. Long-term unemployed are there for good reasons.

Last edited by Dark_Lord_2008 - on 01 April 2019

The way you talk throughout this thread is like you are trying to convince everyone else that finding work is not possible because the system is broken, but every other message from you includes things like "I didn't want to...", "I didn't bother......" Or "I gave up"

Get up tomorrow and go for a walk into town, look around you at how many people are working then see if you can maintain your belief that finding jobs is an impossible task for everyone.

You are very much in the minority.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Dark_Lord_2008 said:

You can have someone who has finished their studies, but because they lack real life work experience, and no one is prepared to give them a fair go so they can gain the experience (even if the job they applying for is not what they studied and just applying for anything), the years of rejection will take its toll. This is a individual thing, but everyone is different when it comes to rejection, and eventually, a limit will be reached. You can bet the attitude will change.

Let's say hypothetically speaking, you finish your studies are uni, and you are now in your early 20s. You are full of energy and the right attitude to do what you can to find a job. 6-12 months of job hunting into an area you have studied has gotten you nowhere, so you expand your search to settle for anything you are capable of doing. Another 12 months goes by and you still unemployed because yo lack the actual experience and no one wants to give you a chance to gain the experience. You get more and more frustrated because no one will give you a fair go and you start to begin to doubt yourself. Now another 3 years have gone by and doing everything you can do to try and gain a job, you still are unemployed because no one wants to give you a chance to gain the experience.

End result, after so long and having so many rejections after rejections, you finally had enough and don't care any more. This is what will happen. And there are people who end up not caring anymore whether they have a job or not and just live off the dole, because of the simple reason that no employer wanted to give these people a fair go at a younger age when they first went into the job market.

https://www.lipstickalley.com/threads/5-years-out-of-college-im-an-unemployed-loser.818470/
A very similar story to mine. Long term unemployed, could not find any employment after graduating, feels like black sheep of the family. Other family and friends get jobs easily despite not working hard or going to college, because life came easy for them. Feel like a nobody, a total loser and unemployable is not something anyone will understand if they are not in the same position. People not in a similar position will not understand, because life came easier to them. I applied for many jobs and nothing. Long term unemployment increases existing mental health issues and can lead to mental health issues like chronic anxiety and depression as a direct result of the hopelessness of having no future and being stuck and the endless judgement and belittling from other people creates social anxiety.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-26/jericho-our-long-term-unemployment-headache/5343362

You get put into the too hard basket and the employment services simply give up on you and you are left to rot. Multiple barriers to employment, drug, alcohol, substance abuse issues, mental health issues, criminal record and no relevant skills or work history, no employer wants to take a risk on a long-term unemployed person. Long-term unemployed are there for good reasons.

All of this is really is not helping you.  You are letting your disability and circumstances hold you down.  The one main theme from everything you have stated so far is that you continue to do the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.  Yes, life has dealt you a tough hand so that means you must work harder and different to improve your results.  What you have shone is that what you are experiencing is not uncommon.  The key is not to dwell on what holds you back but concentrate on solutions to get over the hump.  Instead of seeking verification on others that share your fate, look for the ones that overcame their fate.  There is way to much negativity to your outlook which means your outcome will always be negative.  What you think is what you deliver within your life.  If you do not change your outlook and thinking, only failure will ever come from looking for pity.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
Dark_Lord_2008 said:

All of this is really is not helping you.  You are letting your disability and circumstances hold you down.  The one main theme from everything you have stated so far is that you continue to do the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.  Yes, life has dealt you a tough hand so that means you must work harder and different to improve your results.  What you have shone is that what you are experiencing is not uncommon.  The key is not to dwell on what holds you back but concentrate on solutions to get over the hump.  Instead of seeking verification on others that share your fate, look for the ones that overcame their fate.  There is way to much negativity to your outlook which means your outcome will always be negative.  What you think is what you deliver within your life.  If you do not change your outlook and thinking, only failure will ever come from looking for pity.

Also it can sometimes be important to just stop longing to be like others when it is unreachable,small personal wins that are more easy to get could promise a more positive outlook on the future.

Its hard to accept what we are and hard to accept what we arent but knowing ourselves and living in acceptance is one of the most important steps a person needs to take to be on the road to happiness.

Cobretti2 said:
Dark_Lord_2008 said:

From all the victimization and he not really wanting to find a job since he keeps getting money from the government I would bet that if you applied on his behalf or offered a job for him he would refuse and come up with an excuse.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Cobretti2 said:

From all the victimization and he not really wanting to find a job since he keeps getting money from the government I would bet that if you applied on his behalf or offered a job for him he would refuse and come up with an excuse.

There is a guy here who sits with a sign asking for work. Someone posted his image on Linkedin saying what his name was and the skills he had. Within a week he got a job. People ever started a gofundme page for him etc. (not sure what happened to the money they raised about $15,000). Guess what he is still on the same corner asking for money, he never really wanted the job to begin with. Or went for a day tried it and didn't like it.

Cobretti2 said:
DonFerrari said:

There is a guy here who sits with a sign asking for work. Someone posted his image on Linkedin saying what his name was and the skills he had. Within a week he got a job. People ever started a gofundme page for him etc. (not sure what happened to the money they raised about $15,000). Guess what he is still on the same corner asking for money, he never really wanted the job to begin with. Or went for a day tried it and didn't like it.

These are the type of thing that make me not care about people I don't know. But I do my best to help who I know and really wants to be helped (not in the way of just enabling).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Selling the Big issue or begging are the best jobs for homeless people . They are unlikely to have the right character to show up to a normal job every day, do the work or fit in a team environment. Homeless people do not care about small talk about sports, weather, celebrity gossip that are regarded as good social skills. You can be more literate and educated but miss out on jobs because you do not fit into the simpleton culture of sports, weather, celebrity and saying stuff behind other peoples back. Small talk about useless seems to be the measure of good social skills. The more literate and educated you are the less likely you care about small talk.