By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Have you ever faced unemployment or long term unemployment before?

Casual short term labour jobs are all I can probably do. I am not going to land a professional job ever. There is no need for LinkedIn or the social media nonsense. Not having driver's license is a huge deal in my country it is hard getting casual labour jobs without transport. No driver's license has ruled me out of screening for jobs with agencies in the past.

Around the Network
Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Casual short term labour jobs are all I can probably do. I am not going to land a professional job ever. There is no need for LinkedIn or the social media nonsense. Not having driver's license is a huge deal in my country it is hard getting casual labour jobs without transport. No driver's license has ruled me out of screening for jobs with agencies in the past.

I helped people land a professional job when i noticed they had the capacity to grow to be a professional,its not always about what you can do atm but about how motivated you are to learn.

Bolded: yeah thats understandable

Dark_Lord_2008 said:

I am looking for a job that involves no interaction, cash in hand and flexible hours of working the hours I want to work. No more than 3 days per week, preferably 2 days per week, work life balance.

Many years ago, way back in my day, just after completing my accounting degree I considered doing CPA or CA but lots of money paid up front and it could not be put onto student debt. Masters degree would be out of pocket too so I decided not to pursue further studies.

Lol, when you find this job can you tell us all what it is because I want it as well.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:

I am looking for a job that involves no interaction, cash in hand and flexible hours of working the hours I want to work. No more than 3 days per week, preferably 2 days per week, work life balance.

Many years ago, way back in my day, just after completing my accounting degree I considered doing CPA or CA but lots of money paid up front and it could not be put onto student debt. Masters degree would be out of pocket too so I decided not to pursue further studies.

This is why you should have gone in the grad program, they pay for your CPA.

Cash jobs are far and few between. Only ones you get away with are like waste removal but you need a license for that.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2065040
Needed 70%+ average and good work experience and be captain of sports team to show leadership to get into a Big 4 accounting firm, bank, commerce or government. I fell well short of those  high expectations and ended up becoming an unemployable dead beat posting online complaining about it.

"From my observations all the top 30% of students that are locals end up in the 'best' graduate roles such as big 4, commerce, banks, government, maybe some mid tier firms.

After that, all the boutique and suburban firms go for international students (cheap expendable labor that never says no).

In accounting if you don't get a good grad job in commerce, big 4, and maybe some mid-tiers you are pretty much doomed to be working in small 'boutique firms'."

All my wife's friends are accountants, none of them got into the big 4, they all work small boutique firms. Guess what? After getting their CPA they were 6 figures. 

The big 4 bleed you dry till there is no blood left in you and pay you shit for as long a they can get away with it.

You make waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many assumptions about companies without getting to know them.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Cobretti2 said:

Yer staring salary is shit (tbh engineering now starting is about 70k) but once you prove your worth it goes up from there.

The only negative here is the cost of owning a house FMD and cost of living.

When I visited the US and saw them complain a car that costs half what it does here I just laughed.

I originally come from eastern Europe so I know how much of a shithole of a life can be (I still have family there ad I know how much our lives are different).  That is why here life is soooo much easier. Yes there is some 1st world problems, but unless you truly experience like there is no hope, Australia looks like a land of opportunity. 

Those social welfare money have to come from somewhere. Your tax make the car cost double.

Lol don't get me started on our taxes and means testing and the harder you work the more taxes you pay kind of BS we have.

Immersiveunreality said:
Dark_Lord_2008 said:

I helped people land a professional job when i noticed they had the capacity to grow to be a professional,its not always about what you can do atm but about how motivated you are to learn.

Bolded: yeah thats understandable

Bod underline - That is how I pick our juniors when we hire. My boss looks as experience I look at their resume and go why would I hire this guy he has jumped jobs every 6months? There is a lot of dumb asses good at that. Jump between jobs before they found out the know shit.

Cobretti2 said:
Dark_Lord_2008 said:

Cash jobs are far and few between. Only ones you get away with are like waste removal but you need a license for that.

There is too much competition from an over supply of graduates for all firms regardless of their size. Good grades, extra-curricular, part-time job, relevant experience and captain of sports teams are needed to show qualities to employers that the graduate is a high quality. Many graduates never get a  job in their field of study and end up working jobs way beneath them just to survive. There are plenty of taxi drivers, fast food, cleaners and retail workers that are college graduates and never work in any job relevant to their field of study.

Last edited by Dark_Lord_2008 - on 31 March 2019

No job within 3 months of graduating, I accepted I had wasted my time and took on another study course. I briefly started a Drafting course for a new start but I gave up on that within 2 months because it was not what I wanted to do and the employment prospects of getting work seemed bleak. With months I considered doing a lab tech course but that was grasping at straws and there were hardly any jobs in that field. I was desperate to get back into a field of study that would lead to a guarantee job. No idea how to write resumes, cover letters and I could not handle the pressure of face to face interviews. Doing work for the welfare, is the only experience I have had for the last 10 years. Job services do not help with resume, cover letter or even set people up on job placements like they did back in the good old days and they no longer pay for study courses, driver's licenses, forklift tickets or purchase new clothes needed for job interviews.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Cobretti2 said:

There is too much competition from an over supply of graduates for all firms regardless of their size. Good grades, extra-curricular, part-time job, relevant experience and captain of sports teams are needed to show qualities to employers that the graduate is a high quality. Many graduates never get a  job in their field of study and end up working jobs way beneath them just to survive. There are plenty of taxi drivers, fast food, cleaners and retail workers that are college graduates and never work in any job relevant to their field of study.

If people who can barely speak English can get in the grad program you could have.

Reading your other comment, you gave up after 3months of graduating, most graduate take 6 to 12months to find work, also most apply for the grad program in their last semester, otherwise you have to wait 12months minimum. Grad programs start in certain period, they don't advertise them all the time, usually it is in January/February with interviews and activities in Aug/Sept/Oct.