By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
TallSilhouette said:

The hits just keep coming with Santos:

This guy is a complete and utter psychopath. Let's assign him to a bunch of committees.

They already assigned MTG to the Homeland Security Committee. If that isn't putting a fox in the henhouse...

Around the Network

More on the trade war against China that's escalating at unprecedented rate. A natural response really, the question is why we were allowed to get here in the first place when most level-headed person knew there 100 of ways in which things could go wrong. I blame corporate greed and party politics. 

Funny seeing Chuck Schumer shouting "bring jobs back" only for Biden to clap for him, I am glad this is the default stance now. It turns out, if you leave your party politics goggles aside, hindsight becomes less necessary. 

LurkerJ said:

More on the trade war against China that's escalating at unprecedented rate. A natural response really, the question is why we were allowed to get here in the first place when most level-headed person knew there 100 of ways in which things could go wrong. I blame corporate greed and party politics. 

Funny seeing Chuck Schumer shouting "bring jobs back" only for Biden to clap for him, I am glad this is the default stance now. It turns out, if you leave your party politics goggles aside, hindsight becomes less necessary. 

TSMC is building a huge chip plant here in Phoenix. My question is where the water for this plant is going to come from. 

SanAndreasX said:
LurkerJ said:

TSMC is building a huge chip plant here in Phoenix. My question is where the water for this plant is going to come from. 

Hoover Dam, most probably. Which is already getting depleted at an alarming rate without it...

Bofferbrauer2 said:
SanAndreasX said:

Hoover Dam, most probably. Which is already getting depleted at an alarming rate without it...

What is the USA's stance on the use of desalination plants?

Many large-scale mining operations over here use desal plants to provide clean water for operations, which is actually energy intensive... But they are generally supported by renewable energy.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

What is the USA's stance on the use of desalination plants?

Many large-scale mining operations over here use desal plants to provide clean water for operations, which is actually energy intensive... But they are generally supported by renewable energy.

There are a lot of obstacles to desalinization in Arizona, the first being that the state doesn't border any oceans. The nearest source of seawater to Arizona is the Sea of Cortez, which is in a foreign country (Mexico), so that would largely be at the mercy of international relations with the Mexican government. 

There is a desalinization plant in Yuma, a city which sits on the Colorado River at the junction between Arizona, California, and Mexico. It was actually built not to desalinize water for Arizona, but to satisfy a water treaty with Mexico, which was receiving brackish water through the Colorado from Arizona agriculture. Furthermore, Mexico has declared the delta area of the Colorado that flows into the Sea of Cortez, the Cienega de Santa Clara, a protected area. In addition to the huge expense of restarting the Yuma plant, pumping brine into Mexico would likely upset the Mexican government. So due to geological, geopolitical, and financial issues, this plant has only been operated twice since its 1992 opening, and one of those times was for a demonstration. 

There is also a proposal to fund the building of a desalinization plant in Mexico at Puerto Penasco on the Sea of Cortez, in which case the treated water would be piped to Arizona at an estimated cost of $3000/acre foot, which is the average annual water use of a family of four, spearheaded by an Israeli engineering firm, IDE. 

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 29 January 2023

It's not only China Biden is shielding the USA from with his "Made in America" subsidies, but massive allies such as European countries.

I support Biden's policies 100%. Self-reliance, strengthening neighbouring supply chains and bringing manufacturing back is the way forward. I am not American and "but protectionism!!1!" and "but isolationism!!!111" have always sounded like empty labels to me.  Those labels have no real value to trade our national security with, regardless with whom, let alone China! 

I can't believe I am seeing a change I have been asking for made true by Biden, especially that his campaign wasn't heavy on trade deals at all, if anything, his "China ain't bad folks" triggered me lol. Well-done on not only changing his narrative, but taking a 180 that caught everyone off guard. Now if only we get more politicians doing something about real issues everywhere...

Bernie's 2016 presidential platform continue to prove its merits. It's astounding how much of Bernie's record on most issue ends on the right side of history. 

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 30 January 2023

Why do people care about the most pointless things?

"Gas stoves might be contributing to childhood asthma"

How backwards do you have to be to care more about gas stoves than your child's health?

Someone was telling me that I would/should be outraged if someone didn't show me proper respect by standing up at the end of my wedding to shake my hand, because respect is important.

No I wouldn't. Your ideas of "what's respectful and what's not" aren't important to me. To me it would feel more disrespectful to not respect that other person's autonomy. 

If the act of complaining about something is having a worse effect on society than the thing that you're complaining about, you should probably stop complaining. 

Donald Trump being called a “pussy ass bitch” is now permanently in the US’s Congressional Record.

This is based on a Tweet made by Chrissy Teigen in 2019 that the Trump White House tried to get deleted.

I guess not all parts of the era of Idiocracy were negative :)

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Mississippi GOP passes ‘apartheid’ bill to create unelected courts system in majority-Black capital of Jackson

"Mississippi’s Republican-controlled House voted on Tuesday to create a separate court system composed of unelected leaders and an expanded police force in the capital of Jackson.

The proposal, HB 1020, has been put forth by its GOP backers as a measure to increase public safety and reduce backlogs in the courts, but local leaders have argued the measure is a power grab from the state’s largely conservative, white legislature against the majority Black population of Jackson.

“Only in Mississippi would we have a bill like this … where we say solving the problem requires removing the vote from Black people,” Rep Ed Blackmon, a Democrat, said at the legislature on Tuesday.

He added that the measure, which would allow state officials to appoint judges and prosecutors instead of the usual local process of electing them, wouldn’t do anything to reduce crime."

Just break out the klan hoods, already.