By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Machiavellian said:
Rab said:

Your not even trying, I wasn't talking senators I was talking Rep voters, about 50% of Rep voters were in favour of M4A in early 2020, in the whole electorate it's about 70% back in early 2020

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/494602-poll-69-percent-of-voters-support-medicare-for-all 

The strategy is to keep informing the people of each senator constituency opposed to M4A and see how they fair politically once their constituency knows what's up, even Rep voters are starting at a high 50% approval for M4A, this can be encouraged to grow with a concerted information program that's bound to put the pressure on senators

So far compromise has achieved next to nothing for the working poor for many years, including slam dunks like a universally accepted gun control plan that is supported by the vast majority of American voters (not senators) which the Dems have compromised so much, nothing actually gets done, always the compromise and appeasement with the Dems that have born abysmal results over decades 

That Link gives me a Page Not found and second it was my mistake, I was talking about elected official.  Meaning, I could not find not one GOP elected official in favor of M4A.  I will not argue this point because all GOP elected officials have never been in favor of such changes to healthcare but they continue to be elected.  Could that mean that Republican constituents actually to not see this as a top priority issue. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/46-percent-of-republicans-want-medicare-for-all-new-poll-says/ar-BB13awYb

Also this link I found only show 46% of Republicans constituents care support M4A.  Its evident that this is not enough to move any republican for any bill that includes it but the real key would be how many Republicans support M4A in each state, especially the ones that are in predominant right leaning states. This link on the other hands shows an even bigger support which is the public option proposed by Biden instead of Bernie plan and better support from conservatives because it gives a choice to the option.  

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/medicare-for-all-isnt-that-popular-even-among-democrats/

So in reality, you are really only talking about Dem support for M4A more than Republican constituents and it evident that since Republican constituents gained seats that M4A is not top priority on their list when it comes to electing officials.  

So how long is this pressure program is going to take.  You and Jaicee keep saying you want something done now.  So how long do you believe this Pressure tactic is going to take to get even one GOP Senator to vote for M4A or even get Joe Manchin to vote for minimum wage increase based on the states they represent.  How long will this awareness going to happen.  Was it not you that stated that the Dems keeping the Senate was a pipe dream so the need to do something now was important.  So what is your now solution because who is to say that in 2022, the Dems even keep the house, let alone the Senate.

I've talked about this before (I think with these exact same participants), and when talking about M4A, it matters a lot how the question is framed and what specifically you are asked about. For example, fundamental to Bernie's M4A plan is banning private insurance. How do people feel about that? The majority of both democrats and republicans do not support the banning of private insurance. If we go simply by the will of the people, you largely get a compromise bill that looks pretty similar to Biden's proposal. 

Take a look at the wording, for example, in that The Hill poll where supposedly over half of Republicans support M4A. What was actually asked? "Would you support or oppose providing Medicare for every American?". That is a little different than asking about support of the Medicare for All bill, and covers a range of Medicare expansions in its vague-ness. 

Like previously stated, when looking at the bill itself, it's popularity is a lot less universal because the type of wedge issues exist which can drive people (especially Republicans) away. If you look at, for example, a Kaiser Family Foundation polling, when asked about "a national government administered health plan similar to Medicare that would be open to anyone, but would allow people to keep the coverage they have if they prefer", about 47% of Republicans voiced support (again, more similar to Biden's plan), but when they ask about "a national health plan, sometimes called Medicare-for-all, in which all Americans would get their insurance from a single government plan," that support level drops to just 23% of Republicans. 

https://www.kff.org/slideshow/public-opinion-on-single-payer-national-health-plans-and-expanding-access-to-medicare-coverage/

I'm not sure why this became about M4A polling, but all in all, I don't think the argument here really works to support the argument that Republicans are actually pretty progressive. While there is certainly some wiggle room on certain issues, "progressive" is still a cinder block around the ankles in many red areas of this country. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

I've listened in for a bit on that impeachment process and got sick after a while. America gets what it deserves.

Depends on who you define as America. Seems to me like there is a certain majority of people who are pretty powerless against the things that are happening. Without justice or democracy, what can people do? Except for waiting and watching the country become China.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Machiavellian said:
Rab said:

You realise what a huge deal it is to have about 50% of Reps support the M4A, regardless of the bad press it has received directed at that voting group, without even having one Rep Senator in favour of it , or it never even being pushed onto the Rep voter ever, imagine if a concerted effort was applied to further inform that constituency, image the pressure on those Rep Senators in time, wouldn't it be nice to see them squirm

You ask how long a pressure program will take, and that's a fair question, who knows, but doing business as usual has been a dismal failure for decades, why wouldn't you try? 

Actually no I do not know what a huge deal it is until they vote for it by supporting elected officials who also campaign for it.  You let me know when that happens because right now it must not be even the top 3 issues on Republican constituents agenda if they are not bringing it up in town halls, rallies, news site or anything.  You have a poll for some reason you believe that's an auto win but not one conservative site is pushing for it which means its regulated to a nice to have compared to a must have.  

Here a report I looked up for the top political issues and though healthcare is top for Dems, its like 7 place for Republicans.  So evidently, they are not going to hold their party to M4A.

We still are at the same place, you want something now, what do you do.  Do you wait until your pressure campaign is successful which can take at the least 2 years and at the most never.  

Your gaslighting you ass off here to muddy the conversation...It's great that Rep voters have this much interest (50%) M4A that also closely align with Dem voters top priority, its a huge stepping stone and inbuilt consensus for this policy going forward with in the general public, it's time to use that leverage and expand it fully by explaining the policy and it's benefits fully for all, put the pressure back on the Dem and Rep senators that refuse to budge, and watch them buckle

You have constantly avoided the point that the 'business as usually compromise model' of the Est. "Moderate" Dems have done next to nothing for the working poor in decades

Doing the same thing expecting better results is foolish, the working poor are held to ransom by Rich Senators with little appetite for change because of their "Moderate" views  

Rab said:
Machiavellian said:

Actually no I do not know what a huge deal it is until they vote for it by supporting elected officials who also campaign for it.  You let me know when that happens because right now it must not be even the top 3 issues on Republican constituents agenda if they are not bringing it up in town halls, rallies, news site or anything.  You have a poll for some reason you believe that's an auto win but not one conservative site is pushing for it which means its regulated to a nice to have compared to a must have.  

Here a report I looked up for the top political issues and though healthcare is top for Dems, its like 7 place for Republicans.  So evidently, they are not going to hold their party to M4A.

We still are at the same place, you want something now, what do you do.  Do you wait until your pressure campaign is successful which can take at the least 2 years and at the most never.  

Your gaslighting you ass off here to muddy the conversation...It's great that Rep voters have this much interest (50%) M4A that also closely align with Dem voters top priority, its a huge stepping stone and inbuilt consensus for this policy going forward with in the general public, it's time to use that leverage and expand it fully by explaining the policy and it's benefits fully for all, put the pressure back on the Dem and Rep senators that refuse to budge, and watch them buckle

You have constantly avoided the point that the 'business as usually compromise model' of the Est. "Moderate" Dems have done next to nothing for the working poor in decades

Doing the same thing expecting better results is foolish, the working poor are held to ransom by Rich Senators with little appetite for change because of their "Moderate" views  

Lol, I actually would say that Sundin makes a very good case and example then I when it comes to something like M4A because after going to a lot of right wing sites, it really is how you ask the question.  What I found is that the majority of Republicans absolutely are against a system where the government is the only option which as Sundin stated is not very popular but what is popular is something along Bidens plan where you have an option to keep what you have or go with the government option.  There is support for a single payer option but even amoung Dems its not M4A that is the popular health plan.

What I find funny is that you continue to state that no movement is just as bad as nothing at all because that is pretty much what you are advocating for.  Nothing that you have given gets you anything done now.  Actually, nothing that you have stated gets you anything done period if you ask me because hoping on some campaign that will suddenly make Republican constituents start to vote Democrate or suddenly have GOP elected officials start to advocate Bernie plans is the ultimate in wishful thinking.  Anyway, nothing will be decided anytime soon so lets see what happens in 2 years.  If the GOP take either the house or Senate back, we will see how much progressive they will be especially with a Dem president.  It would be Obama presidency all over again with you hoping for some movement but nothing happens because no one knows how to get something done but retreat to their partisan bubble.

Machiavellian said:
Rab said:

Lol, I actually would say that Sundin makes a very good case and example then I when it comes to something like M4A because after going to a lot of right wing sites, it really is how you ask the question.  What I found is that the majority of Republicans absolutely are against a system where the government is the only option which as Sundin stated is not very popular but what is popular is something along Bidens plan where you have an option to keep what you have or go with the government option.  There is support for a single payer option but even amoung Dems its not M4A that is the popular health plan.

What I find funny is that you continue to state that no movement is just as bad as nothing at all because that is pretty much what you are advocating for.  Nothing that you have given gets you anything done now.  Actually, nothing that you have stated gets you anything done period if you ask me because hoping on some campaign that will suddenly make Republican constituents start to vote Democrate or suddenly have GOP elected officials start to advocate Bernie plans is the ultimate in wishful thinking.  Anyway, nothing will be decided anytime soon so lets see what happens in 2 years.  If the GOP take either the house or Senate back, we will see how much progressive they will be especially with a Dem president.  It would be Obama presidency all over again with you hoping for some movement but nothing happens because no one knows how to get something done but retreat to their partisan bubble.

Again you say nothing but deliberate deflection

Sundin has a "moderate" agenda like yourself, "How you ask the Question" is a BS false flag that is used to undermine how popular M4A is as a basic idea

When you have a great base for an idea to grow then you have a platform, that's the whole point of ad campaigns and canvasing, you educate people, and if the base idea is popular you have a great chance of success... education is the key people, not hard to understand really

Still haven't addressed the fact that the "Moderate" Dem compromises have resulted in little benefit to the working poor for decades, even gun control has seen virtually no progress after decades in the spotlight even when the majority of voters want to see gun control, ""Moderate" Senators and their compromises have achieved next to nothing and lives of thousands have been lost 

Go ahead and deflect again, I'm waiting  

Around the Network
Rab said:

"How you ask the Question" is a BS false flag that is used to undermine how popular M4A is as a basic idea

"Like previously stated, when looking at the bill itself, it's popularity is a lot less universal because the type of wedge issues exist which can drive people (especially Republicans) away. If you look at, for example, Kaiser Family Foundation polling, when asked about "a national government administered health plan similar to Medicare that would be open to anyone, but would allow people to keep the coverage they have if they prefer", about 47% of Republicans voiced support (again, more similar to Biden's plan), but when they ask about "a national health plan, sometimes called Medicare-for-all, in which all Americans would get their insurance from a single government plan," that support level drops to just 23% of Republicans."

It isn't a "false flag" to state that the wording of the question matters, because it is exactly in the wording and the details that the majority of Republican opposition lies. The reason why many issues are so unpopular with republicans is because they use wedge issues as a proxy to hold power over opinions on a larger subject matter. As such, you have to do a lot more than throw around some poorly worded polls to demonstrate that republican voters would support politicians who support these policies. 

As far as I am aware, there is little evidence of this for a lot of progressive policies (though there are exceptions). Further, when progressive policies are broadly popular, typically a compromise towards the center is either just as popular or more popular, like with healthcare. You can't argue for Medicare for All using it's popularity, while ignoring the popularity of Medicare for All Who Want It.

Now, that isn't to say that I am against M4A. I am someone who like M4A more than the compromise bills, however, I understand that in order to get Medicare for All, the voters need to demonstrate that they want it in the polling booth, not just over the phone. Bernie has done a great job in moving us closer to M4A, however if Medicare for All Who Want It gets put on the table before we get there, you can bet your ass that I'm going to support it, and the second it gets signed into law I'm going to go right back to advocating for M4A. That isn't being moderate, that is doing exactly what Chomsky preaches and working with what you are given to help as many people as possible. 

Kyrsten Sinema also seems to be against minimun wage increase, so not only Joe Manchin

"What’s important is whether or not it’s directly related to short-term Covid relief. And if it’s not, then I am not going to support it in this legislation,” Sinema said in a telephone interview this week. “The minimum wage provision is not appropriate for the reconciliation process. It is not a budget item. And it shouldn’t be in there."

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/12/kyrsten-sinema-democrats-468768

I don't know if $15 hour minimun wage made much sense anyway, it would make it harder for poorer states in the US to compete against richer states. But the quote from Sinema I think is about 1 week old (article 1 day old) so she might have changed her mind.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Impeachment is over. Seven Republican senators voted to convict leaving the President, making the final vote 43-57. As this falls short of the two-thirds threshold, Trump has been found "Not Guilty". That said, the fact that seven members of his own party voted to convict is very much significant.

Now we can move on to Covid relief in full force.

I wouldn't be surprised if there actually were enough Republicans who wanted to convict him to where they could have gotten that 2/3rd majority the Dems needed to do it. But they didn't because they're too afraid of the consequences of convicting Trump and that he would follow through on his threat to start his own party, even if he is unable to run in '24. Which would effectively kill the Republican Party as we know it.

PAOerfulone said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there actually were enough Republicans who wanted to convict him to where they could have gotten that 2/3rd majority the Dems needed to do it. But they didn't because they're too afraid of the consequences of convicting Trump and that he would follow through on his threat to start his own party, even if he is unable to run in '24. Which would effectively kill the Republican Party as we know it.

Pretty sure they were more concerned about their own lives than what happens with the party.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.