By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

In a few decades, history books will inevitably tie these events to the US losing its dominant economic position to China (+ Chinese apps like Tiktok getting popular, and a Chinese virus being far more damaging to the US than to themselves).

Historians love it when they can connect things of which "people at the time didn't even see the connection!".

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

(...)

Greatest country? Hah, you're hardly even a first world country with this sort of internal discourse.

Perhaps that's why they're trying to invade themselves now?

Ka-pi96 said:
Torillian said:

Agreed, just because you suck ass at coup doesn't change what this was. To believe that you'd have to think that if the senators and representatives hadn't been evacuated it would've been no problem because this was just a protest that broke into the capital. If you profess to believe that I have to assume you're disingenuous because anyone that naive couldn't possibly survive on the internet. 

Aye, saying "if it was a coup such and such would have happened" is false. Saying "if it was a successful coup..." however would be totally correct.

Just because they failed at it doesn't mean that it wasn't one.

Getting into semantics but definition of Coup implies success.  It was an attempted Coup that failed how I would word it.

Hiku said:

Explosive devices found in DC were 'the real deal': report (nypost.com)

American Patriots. We love them. They're very special. 

vivster said:

Little Donny is pouting. The twitter ban should be lifted but he hasn't said a word yet. Meanwhile he has been banned on Instagram and Facebook indefinitely.

Turns out these spineless companies can actually do something. All it needed was them realizing that the Democrats control congress now and they have to pander to someone new.

Is banning him (or anyone) a good thing though? Does that actually help to calm down the situation? Doesn't that just polarise the whole political climate even more?

Also, I'm very much not a fan of the idea that we just let private companies censor what we don't like (and even encourage them to do that). These companies have a huge impact on how people see the world, they have the power to steer people's opinions in any direction they want.

Around the Network
Flilix said:
vivster said:

Little Donny is pouting. The twitter ban should be lifted but he hasn't said a word yet. Meanwhile he has been banned on Instagram and Facebook indefinitely.

Turns out these spineless companies can actually do something. All it needed was them realizing that the Democrats control congress now and they have to pander to someone new.

Is banning him (or anyone) a good thing though? Does that actually help to calm down the situation? Doesn't that just polarise the whole political climate even more?

Also, I'm very much not a fan of the idea that we just let private companies censor what we don't like (and even encourage them to do that). These companies have a huge impact on how people see the world, they have the power to steer people's opinions in any direction they want.

Whatever makes the orange dude turn red. 

He should've been banned years ago because of him going against the policies of those social network afaik.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Flilix said:

In a few decades, history books will inevitably tie these events to the US losing its dominant economic position to China (+ Chinese apps like Tiktok getting popular, and a Chinese virus being far more damaging to the US than to themselves).

Historians love it when they can connect things of which "people at the time didn't even see the connection!".

To be honest, these things are connected. The issue most people don't see but historians do is that the US is in irreversible decline. You can't magically take 800,000,000+ people (US+Allies) and pit them against 1,400,000,000+ people (Russia+China+Iraq+Iran+Syria+Venezuela+Cuba+Turkey+Bolivia+Belarus+Caucasus+Hungary-spies and refugees and the remaining dissidence) and expect that the minority population mass will somehow overrule the rest alone. The only hope the US had was to stall the ascent of opposing larger states or break them up. 

Hiku said:

Explosive devices found in DC were 'the real deal': report (nypost.com)

This I'm actually worried about. When terrorists make a bomb, they usually leave it where they will have the most impact. Thankfully they were not enabled. 

Flilix said:
Runa216 said:

(...)

Greatest country? Hah, you're hardly even a first world country with this sort of internal discourse.

Perhaps that's why they're trying to invade themselves now?

They ran out of targets. 

I mean, all the ones they could invade now would be literal mincers (Venezuela is the easiest target they have now, and they run the risk of Cuba getting in the way and the whole continent turning against them all. Iran is Iraq 4.0 and would make Vietnam look like a cakewalk. Everything after that has nuclear weapons and either access to titanic armies (Turkey), remote weaponry (Russia) or a huge amount of troops with the numbers needed to drown a soldier with people. 

So they themselves were the easier targets. 

I'm just glad people finally realized the US never really was a first world country and were more of a "Super Argentina" than anything else. They should've realized this in 2019 though. 

Shower thoughts: Could Pence realistically throw Trump under the bus now?
Think about it. He would be seen as a more sensible style of Republican and gain some respect on the Democratic side as the guy who finally let Trump fall in his final days. If I would be in his position and have aspirations for the presidency one day, that's what I would do.
Then again, I'm not American.

Cyran said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Aye, saying "if it was a coup such and such would have happened" is false. Saying "if it was a successful coup..." however would be totally correct.

Just because they failed at it doesn't mean that it wasn't one.

Getting into semantics but definition of Coup implies success.  It was an attempted Coup that failed how I would word it.

Jailed for a crime I didn't even commit! Attempted coup, now honestly, what is that? Do they give a Nobel Prize for attempted chemistry? Do they?

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 07 January 2021

Signature goes here!

Flilix said:
vivster said:

At the very least, we get a break from his constant twitter rants. I'll take it.