By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Lonely_Dolphin said:
KLAMarine said:

"It was to combat the then-existing blatant inequality in the workplace, and the theory set forth was that in a truly equal world where, say, 70% were white, 15% were latino, and 15% were latino, that a large company needed to also represent that number, because if they didn't then it would mean there must be some prejudice going on. Which was 100% true back then (And clearly even today)"

>I find this theory flawed: 50% of the entire world is male and the other half is female. I look at the membership of vgchartz and I see men outnumber women at a ratio of about 5 to 1.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/members.php?name=&gender=Male&keyword=&country=&type=&order=Last+logged+in

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/members.php?name=&gender=Female&keyword=&country=&type=&order=Last+logged+in

Males comprise about 83% of the members of this website, a figure seriously distant from the 50% global figure.

Am I to conclude vgchartz is conspiring against female members? That there is a prejudice against women that drives them away?

I don't think so. I think, on average, more men than women are interested in video games thus we end up with this disparity: men are more likely to explore a website like this one and then create an account. I find it too hasty that we conclude there is wrongdoing based solely on such a superficial disparity.

Happenstance is not a real concept, stop spouting such blasphemy. Mr. Runa216altaccountsIpretendaresepratepeople is totally correct, my inability to find success in the workplace is entirely due to having more melanin in my skin. Some bigots will claim it's because I have poor work ethic, don't get a long well with people, have a history of failure, etc. but they're just trying to distract from the real issue! If not for the blatant and rampant systemic racism in this country, I would totally be a millionaire by now! Now I'ma go destroy some random property and disturb the peace until those privileged white people bow down and give me the life that I'm owed.

While I disagree with how Runa presented their argument, racial prejudice is a very real thing. You can't really handwave all of this country's racist employment practices by blaming minorities without really swallowing the poison pill of racism. While I can tell that this post is at least somewhat facetious, the extent of your hyperbole borders racist stereotypes of "black people are lazy, entitled criminals", or perhaps crosses that line, which leads me to question how close these exaggerations fall to your true beliefs...

Either way, this really isn't a good look.

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
KLAMarine said:

"It was to combat the then-existing blatant inequality in the workplace, and the theory set forth was that in a truly equal world where, say, 70% were white, 15% were latino, and 15% were latino, that a large company needed to also represent that number, because if they didn't then it would mean there must be some prejudice going on. Which was 100% true back then (And clearly even today)"

>I find this theory flawed: 50% of the entire world is male and the other half is female. I look at the membership of vgchartz and I see men outnumber women at a ratio of about 5 to 1.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/members.php?name=&gender=Male&keyword=&country=&type=&order=Last+logged+in

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/members.php?name=&gender=Female&keyword=&country=&type=&order=Last+logged+in

Males comprise about 83% of the members of this website, a figure seriously distant from the 50% global figure.

Am I to conclude vgchartz is conspiring against female members? That there is a prejudice against women that drives them away?

I don't think so. I think, on average, more men than women are interested in video games thus we end up with this disparity: men are more likely to explore a website like this one and then create an account. I find it too hasty that we conclude there is wrongdoing based solely on such a superficial disparity.

Happenstance is not a real concept, stop spouting such blasphemy. Mr. Runa216altaccountsIpretendaresepratepeople is totally correct, my inability to find success in the workplace is entirely due to having more melanin in my skin. Some bigots will claim it's because I have poor work ethic, don't get a long well with people, have a history of failure, etc. but they're just trying to distract from the real issue! If not for the blatant and rampant systemic racism in this country, I would totally be a millionaire by now! Now I'ma go destroy some random property and disturb the peace until those privileged white people bow down and give me the life that I'm owed.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/241250/any-other-options-in-life/

sundin13 said:

While I disagree with how Runa presented their argument, racial prejudice is a very real thing. You can't really handwave all of this country's racist employment practices by blaming minorities without really swallowing the poison pill of racism. While I can tell that this post is at least somewhat facetious, the extent of your hyperbole borders racist stereotypes of "black people are lazy, entitled criminals", or perhaps crosses that line, which leads me to question how close these exaggerations fall to your true beliefs...

And so what if I did believe those racist stereotypes? You gonna jail me for wrong think, despite the fact that I haven't actually done anything?

I'm speaking for myself. I value integrity/honesty/accountability, so I'm simply not gonna blame all my problems on everyone else, ignoring my own failings. It's annoying hearing people constantly trying to tell me what a poor helpless victim I am, that I should hate and look down on white people while simultaneously begging for their aid. They don't owe me nothing.

Moren said:

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/241250/any-other-options-in-life/

That is indeed a thread I made, and I'm flattered you remember it, but do you have a point?

Lonely_Dolphin said:
sundin13 said:

And so what if I did believe those racist stereotypes? You gonna jail me for wrong think, despite the fact that I haven't actually done anything?

I'm speaking for myself. I value integrity/honesty/accountability, so I'm simply not gonna blame all my problems on everyone else, ignoring my own failings. It's annoying hearing people constantly trying to tell me what a poor helpless victim I am, that I should hate and look down on white people while simultaneously begging for their aid. They don't owe me nothing.

I have to admit, I wasn't expecting you to try to take the moral high ground against anti-racism. Interesting tactic, but you do you.

As for the latter half of your statement, it feels like you are projecting quite a bit. Nobody here is trying to tell you all of your problems are someone else's fault, but instead stating that people are still being effected by modern racism, and hyperfocusing on the individual helps to perpetuate that racism. You can simultaneously admit that African Americans are at a disadvantage in many areas of life and exercise your agency to still work to ensure your life is the best that it can be. You are not helpless, but that doesn't mean you are on equal footing, and you are not owed anything besides the right to equality as it is enshrined in the law. 

Why mince words?
The post was extremely racist.

Around the Network
Moren said:
Why mince words?
The post was extremely racist.

Feel free to explain yourself at any time. 

KLAMarine said:
Runa216 said:

I hope you don't think affirmative action exists solely as a way to get minorities jobs over whites or something. The program and concept was implemented not to create imbalance, but to encourage employers to diversify since that just wasn't happening; it was a response to the reality that minorities USED to be passed over due to, you know, being minorities. It was to combat the then-existing blatant inequality in the workplace, and the theory set forth was that in a truly equal world where, say, 70% were white, 15% were latino, and 15% were latino, that a large company needed to also represent that number, because if they didn't then it would mean there must be some prejudice going on. Which was 100% true back then (And clearly even today)

White Nationalists and lowkey racists tend to use this as an excuse to demean minorities, tacitly endorsing the idea that whites are inherently superior and that the only possible explanation is that affirmative action is taking away jobs rightly deserved to white folks. While it's certainly true that there WILL be examples of this working against some people who are rightly better qualified regardless of who or what they are, it doesn't happen nearly as often as you might think. Every system CAN be abused, there's no doubt about that and I'm not pretending this is not a concern, but this narrative about Affirmative Action being a way to fuck white people over is just...it's not okay. 

Basically what it boils down to it: White folks have been in control so long that the idea of anything existing that could challenge that power is scary. And when white people have been so goddamn terrible to every minority under the sun for as long as there's been white people and sun and non-white people existing in the same area, it's a terrifying prospect. Especially when you consider the counterbalances needed to make things fair. So many people loudly sharethe idea that 'I'm not a racist, so why do I have to face reparations for my ancestors', and I get it. I do. I didn't desecrate the burial sites of the first nations. I didn't enslave black people. I'm not the type to belittle women and I'm certainly not the type to gay bash. Hell, I've fucked more guys than girls. 

But the reality is that we can't trust those in power to not discriminate. They did that for ages, and it literally never worked. Even when the LAW mandated equal treatment, minorities were still subjugated. BLM and many of these other SJW initiates are a living response to the idea that, while the LAW states that all people are equal, the reality is that this is not the case. As long as bigotry continues to exist and those in power continue to use it to their advantage, we NEED things like Affirmative action to counterbalance it. While it's not a perfect system, we don't live in a vaccuum where we can trust those in power to not abuse it. 

Affirmative action and diversity inclusion in all manner of life are needed. If we don't push for these agendas, history tells us that those in power will continue to discriminate against minorities and silence the voices of those not white, male, and straight. You can argue all you want, this is the reality of the world we live in.

Is it even possible for you to have more completely missed the point? I don't even know what to say to you anymore. I've explained things as well as can be expected; as the phrase goes, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. In this case, you can present all the information but you can't make a person understand it. 

I keep saying it and I mean it every time I say it only to backpedal later, but I am so done with the 'debate' going on here. One can only do so much to try to instill reason in someone who wants nothing to do with it. I can't teach compassion and empathy.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
KLAMarine said:

Is it even possible for you to have more completely missed the point? I don't even know what to say to you anymore. I've explained things as well as can be expected; as the phrase goes, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. In this case, you can present all the information but you can't make a person understand it. 

I keep saying it and I mean it every time I say it only to backpedal later, but I am so done with the 'debate' going on here. One can only do so much to try to instill reason in someone who wants nothing to do with it. I can't teach compassion and empathy.

Have you ever stared into the eyes of the Alpacas' Queen and lived to tell the tale? If yes, then this entire thread is over. If no, please take Kirby, spurg, and Catherine O'Hara and visit the drundlands of Moltashishahish until you've succumbed to the oozing monstrosity of leheilashou or have defeated the pronont of Tuffi. 

Runa216 said:

I understand, you admitted to being white, so hand over my reparations please.

Please backpedal again, I'd love to know what this "silencing of non straight white males" is exactly if you're going to call that reality. Our previous president was black, and I would say presidency is the single highest platform you can get. Our racist system must be really incompetent to have let that happen.

Runa216 said:
KLAMarine said:

Damn. I was hoping you'd be able to expose vgchartz's horribly sexist conspiracy against female members.

I guess I cannot expect your support in condemning the NBA's HORRIBLY RACIST/XENOPHOBIC record on employing Hispanic players.

https://ndsmcobserver.com/2019/04/the-nba-needs-more-hispanics/

Asian players face similar, ugly, discriminatory oppression by NBA teams.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/adam-silver-frustrated-by-lack-of-chinese-players-in-nba-could-yao-ming-help/

Right now, I'm wondering if any Indian player has played on an NBA team.

Just more racism to be added to the NBA's already horribly racist and discriminatory legacy that continues to this day.

It's a shame...

Please have a nice day.