By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
sundin13 said:
For a solid article explaining many of the facets of school choice including both pro's and con's of the different proposals, this is a good start (its a WaPo article, but the link below should hopefully get you past the paywall):

https://outline.com/wCSeM7

Overall conclusion that I read from that is that evidence that it actually helps is scant, and it is throwing public money into a largely unregulated and unproven industry with a questionable history. While I can certainly see some short term benefit in helping kids get out of terrible schools (and into other below average schools), I think that begs the question: Why don't we just adequately fund our schooling system? This seems to be ignoring the obvious solution to this problem...

I was a public teacher in an extremely underfunded school district. I find myself in the middle of these issues. I am very empathetic towards the lack of resources teachers and kids have in these schools but I'm also hesitant to increase funding into institutions that, more or less, are indoctrinating youths to think certain ways on controversial issues. The way I taught was to present multiple perspectives, but I was a social studies teacher. My fellow social studies teachers did the same, which was great, but it was the English, the science, and the math teachers that would shove liberal ideology down the throats of their students day in and day out that really disappointed me. There is only, in my experience, unbiased instruction in the social studies setting (which is the most important area to have that, granted), but it's all the little jabs, the making fun of conservative view points, the demeaning conservatives as beneath them, those kind of direct and subliminal messages that many teachers do, they influence kids who either aren't that far away from or already are able to vote. That's scary.

We need more people to be informed before voting, and a huge chunk of the electorate, if not the vast majority, being uninformed as they vote is the most dangerous thing for our republic.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
sundin13 said:
For a solid article explaining many of the facets of school choice including both pro's and con's of the different proposals, this is a good start (its a WaPo article, but the link below should hopefully get you past the paywall):

https://outline.com/wCSeM7

Overall conclusion that I read from that is that evidence that it actually helps is scant, and it is throwing public money into a largely unregulated and unproven industry with a questionable history. While I can certainly see some short term benefit in helping kids get out of terrible schools (and into other below average schools), I think that begs the question: Why don't we just adequately fund our schooling system? This seems to be ignoring the obvious solution to this problem...

I was a public teacher in an extremely underfunded school district. I find myself in the middle of these issues. I am very empathetic towards the lack of resources teachers and kids have in these schools but I'm also hesitant to increase funding into institutions that, more or less, are indoctrinating youths to think certain ways on controversial issues. The way I taught was to present multiple perspectives, but I was a social studies teacher. My fellow social studies teachers did the same, which was great, but it was the English, the science, and the math teachers that would shove liberal ideology down the throats of their students day in and day out that really disappointed me. There is only, in my experience, unbiased instruction in the social studies setting (which is the most important area to have that, granted), but it's all the little jabs, the making fun of conservative view points, the demeaning conservatives as beneath them, those kind of direct and subliminal messages that many teachers do, they influence kids who either aren't that far away from or already are able to vote. That's scary.

We need more people to be informed before voting, and a huge chunk of the electorate, if not the vast majority, being uninformed as they vote is the most dangerous thing for our republic.

This isn't really a school choice issue. In regards to school choice you either have a public school system which is accountable to the public and general schooling regulations or a private school system who largely isn't. 

That said, I am curious to hear examples.

sundin13 said:
Dulfite said:

This isn't really a school choice issue. In regards to school choice you either have a public school system which is accountable to the public and general schooling regulations or a private school system who largely isn't. 

That said, I am curious to hear examples.

I'd argue the private schools are even more accountable. If parents don't like the education there, then they stop sending their child there. Enough parents doing that, the school closes. Survival of the fittest for private schools until all the bad ones are closed and only the better managed ones remain, making education overall better.

Public schools aren't going to lose their funding no matter how bad they are. While my district had bad funding due to low property values, it wasn't going to just disappear like it would if a bunch of students left a private school to go somewhere else. Public schools are basically safe to keep on making the same mistakes.

Runa216 said:
Zoombael said:

Luckily, extremists and radicals on the right are easy to spot. To the left they turn a blind eye.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime_in_the_United_States

See? This right here? What matters to you isn't the facts and it isn't justice, it's a bipartisan us vs them, tribalistic argument. You have no interest in actually making the world a better place, comments like this show it's all about 'stickin' it to the libs'. I know you almost certainly don't think that's what you're doing, but that's the impression you give off and why people (mostly me) are so hostile towards you. Never in any of your posts have you ever given the impression that this isn't just you fighting against leftist SJW propaganda. Whether you intend it or not, that's the message you give off. 

Almost certainly? Not almost, absolutley certainly. There is no reason to make exceptions. Whether it be political or religious extremism, i'm always against. At the moment it isn't well funded right wing radicals agitating the masses without end. Do i care what impression advocates of hostile ideologies have of me? Not really.

Hunting Season is done...

Cornel West On Whether The Left Should Stick With Dem Party Or Make A Clean BREAK

Can the US people form a true People's Party to reset the system after Biden and Trump?

This will be talked about at the upcoming People's Convention 

Last edited by Rab - on 28 August 2020

Around the Network

I'd rather take a ""scumbag vigilante"" that is willing to protect businesses of innocent business owners than an anarchist that is preaching social justice after burning down everything on his path including the sanctity of a person's home or innocent people's livelihood. Footages from multiple cameras also shows that he didn't fire the first shot and that he was chased down by someone and that he fired in self defense.

The Jacob Blake incident was another conveniently framed story to incite more anger by overtly adding racial elements to it. Just like what they did with George Floyd. However, Jacob Blake's incident is far less complicated and was more of him playing stupid games.

Last edited by iron_megalith - on 28 August 2020

Here's a link to a Reddit post which provides sources for some interesting statistics https://www.reddit.com/r/ProtectAndServe/comments/ie3wf6/policing_statistics_mega_post/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

It's from r/ProtectAndServe and I recommed to have a look. There's plenty of verified officers of the law giving their opintons  and insight to events. 

As a warning, there's also content that is provocative and biased towards law enforcement and non-verified posters with shitty opinions and misinformation.

You know, I find it fascinating how every time in the US a black man gets shot, even with video of him facing away from the police, shot in back. Unarmed. Killed by a whole squad with a knee on the neck. Just all these kinds of incidents. I get so surprised how racists know to bullshit their way around it.

"He was resisting!"
"He smoked weed once and got caught!"
"He was mouthing off!"
"He was stealing"
"He was doing drugs"
"He had to do detention in school once!"

All this is bullshit mental gymnastics to justify the DEATH of a person. In what country, are all the things above a cause for death? What kind of feudal country do these racists right wingers have in mind that stealing, mouthing off, running away, resisting arrest but being unarmed are a reason for police to execute a man?

I don't like saying this but.. right wing extremism has only one outcome: Death. It is a death cult. And I hope that once Trump is out, this kind of disgusting sick ideology melts away.

iron_megalith said:

I'd rather take a ""scumbag vigilante"" that is willing to protect businesses of innocent business owners than an anarchist that is preaching social justice after burning down everything on his path including the sanctity of a person's home or innocent people's livelihood. Footages from multiple cameras also shows that he didn't fire the first shot and that he was chased down by someone and that he fired in self defense.

The Jacob Blake incident was another conveniently framed story to incite more anger by overtly adding racial elements to it. Just like what they did with George Floyd. However, Jacob Blake's incident is far less complicated and was more of him playing stupid games.

Like I said, what kind of feudal country do you all think the US is, that justifying a vigilante MURDERER is okay like this guy here? ^

Last edited by OTBWY - on 28 August 2020

This is Not strictly politics but it relates to how people in Power see the World as a fair place