By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Rab said:
sundin13 said:

As much as I support M4A, it isn't the only thing that exists in the universe. It isn't even the only healthcare plan which would provide a large amount of benefit relative to our current system. This "both sides" viewpoint only exists by blurring your eyes to the very real and very important differences between the two parties. The dems are not the same as the republicans. Period. The Dems in fact proposed multiple bills which would provide a large benefit in regards to the Housing crisis. The Republicans refused to even debate them.

Stop with these meaningless and ignorant false equivalencies. There are problems with the Democratic Party, but the only thing you accomplish by falsely yelling that both parties are the same, is another four years of Donald Trump (and to say that is fine as a means to an end I can only assume comes from a place of privileged as many have suffered under his policies these last four years, and through his judicial appointments, will likely continue to suffer for decades). Not voting blue isn't going to help anyone. That is a big part of why we are in this problem in the first place. Young progressives don't vote in high enough numbers, so they fail to elect their primary candidates and they fail to demonstrate to the party that they can be a valuable asset. Not voting just proves the "establishment" right and grifters like this are either so eager for that righteous indignation dollar that they sacrifice their integrity or have simply lost the plot.

Your vote shaming

Voting for the lesser of two evils only gets you bad policy

The Est Dems and Est Reps need to work for the vote not just expect it or they will never change, they are both very similar in that they want things to change very little as the current system benefits the rich nicely, leaving working people worse off forever (terrible/expensive healthcare, poor/expensive education, billions spent on the Military sending the poor to fight and die for the rich, pharmaceutical cost twice as high as other countries, compromised climate change policies that will lead to economic disaster particularly for the poor, over policing to point people don't feel safe anymore, a system that subsitises the Rich and wall street whilst telling the poor they must be rugged individualists)

There's a reason most Dems and Reps senators enrich themselves by the time they finish in office and beyond, they keep the status quo working nicely         

Denying them the vote sends a message, don't give it to them, make them earn it 

You think the US Dems track record hasn't got the US working people in this mess over decades of neglect, you think voting for the Est Dems will improve their performance, you think voting for the Est Dems will change their minds on M4A 

Hell yeah I'm vote shaming. If you are a liberal, I believe that it is unconscionable to abstain from voting (in a state where your vote matters) as it is simply supporting Donald Trump. If you think that another four years of Trump is worth it for some imaginary gains, you are off your rocker.

Like, Bernie lost in 2016 to Clinton, giving us a bad candidate. She then lost. Bernie ran again in 2020 and arguably did worse, giving us a candidate that many still argue is just as terrible. How many years do we need to give Republicans power until we start getting "good" candidates. When does this change happen? Like, why should we give the Republicans literally everything that they want in the hopes that maybe someday a progressive candidate will win? And what exactly do you think will happen if a progressive candidate gets voted in after years of self-inflicted Republican dominance? We have already seen Republicans having their way with the Supreme Court, to the extent where we need to rely on Roberts as the swing vote to protect fundamental rights. Roberts! If we let Trump fill RBG's seat, we are fucked for literal decades.

Complain all you want about Biden not being progressive enough (despite having one of the most progressive general election platforms ever), but the only ones we have to blame are ourselves (meaning the Democratic voters). We gave Biden the win. Like, we have a primary process so we can choose our candidate for the general election. It isn't going against the will of the people to have Biden as our presidential nominee. It explicitly and fundamentally is the will of the people. Or at least the will of the people who voted, because again, young progressives are not a reliable voting block. They did not show up for Bernie. Why should the establishment gamble on a voting block who repeatedly doesn't show up? By not voting, we have demonstrated that the establishment should not rely on us. If they run a campaign focused on us, like Bernie, we still won't show up. How will proving them right solve all of our problems?

This whole "tanking" strategy may work in football because if you lose, it doesn't really matter, but when it comes to the government, tanking the vote gives us four more years of Donald Trump. To say that four more years of Trump is worth it, I can only assume comes from a place of privilege where you aren't the one being refused asylum and left to be killed by Central American gangs, you aren't the one with a compromised immune system hoping that you aren't forced back to work, you aren't the transgender adult being told by your medical provider that they don't have to provide coverage to you...

You have to acknowledge the human toll of this, and if you still say "These deaths and oppression are worth it for the good of the country", than how are you any better than them saying "Go back to work and die for your country"?

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
Rab said:

Your vote shaming

Voting for the lesser of two evils only gets you bad policy

The Est Dems and Est Reps need to work for the vote not just expect it or they will never change, they are both very similar in that they want things to change very little as the current system benefits the rich nicely, leaving working people worse off forever (terrible/expensive healthcare, poor/expensive education, billions spent on the Military sending the poor to fight and die for the rich, pharmaceutical cost twice as high as other countries, compromised climate change policies that will lead to economic disaster particularly for the poor, over policing to point people don't feel safe anymore, a system that subsitises the Rich and wall street whilst telling the poor they must be rugged individualists)

There's a reason most Dems and Reps senators enrich themselves by the time they finish in office and beyond, they keep the status quo working nicely         

Denying them the vote sends a message, don't give it to them, make them earn it 

You think the US Dems track record hasn't got the US working people in this mess over decades of neglect, you think voting for the Est Dems will improve their performance, you think voting for the Est Dems will change their minds on M4A 

Hell yeah I'm vote shaming. If you are a liberal, I believe that it is unconscionable to abstain from voting (in a state where your vote matters) as it is simply supporting Donald Trump. If you think that another four years of Trump is worth it for some imaginary gains, you are off your rocker.

Like, Bernie lost in 2016 to Clinton, giving us a bad candidate. She then lost. Bernie ran again in 2020 and arguably did worse, giving us a candidate that many still argue is just as terrible. How many years do we need to give Republicans power until we start getting "good" candidates. When does this change happen? Like, why should we give the Republicans literally everything that they want in the hopes that maybe someday a progressive candidate will win? And what exactly do you think will happen if a progressive candidate gets voted in after years of self-inflicted Republican dominance? We have already seen Republicans having their way with the Supreme Court, to the extent where we need to rely on Roberts as the swing vote to protect fundamental rights. Roberts! If we let Trump fill RBG's seat, we are fucked for literal decades.

Complain all you want about Biden not being progressive enough (despite having one of the most progressive general election platforms ever), but the only ones we have to blame are ourselves (meaning the Democratic voters). We gave Biden the win. Like, we have a primary process so we can choose our candidate for the general election. It isn't going against the will of the people to have Biden as our presidential nominee. It explicitly and fundamentally is the will of the people. Or at least the will of the people who voted, because again, young progressives are not a reliable voting block. They did not show up for Bernie. Why should the establishment gamble on a voting block who repeatedly doesn't show up? By not voting, we have demonstrated that the establishment should not rely on us. If they run a campaign focused on us, like Bernie, we still won't show up. How will proving them right solve all of our problems?

This whole "tanking" strategy may work in football because if you lose, it doesn't really matter, but when it comes to the government, tanking the vote gives us four more years of Donald Trump. To say that four more years of Trump is worth it, I can only assume comes from a place of privilege where you aren't the one being refused asylum and left to be killed by Central American gangs, you aren't the one with a compromised immune system hoping that you aren't forced back to work, you aren't the transgender adult being told by your medical provider that they don't have to provide coverage to you...

You have to acknowledge the human toll of this, and if you still say "These deaths and oppression are worth it for the good of the country", than how are you any better than them saying "Go back to work and die for your country"?

Your argument is sincere but an old one that doesn't work for working people long term 

There is no good outcome voting for Est Dems or Est Reps, hasn't been good for decades, we are looking at decades more bad times for working people if we do what they expect (vote for one of them)

Trump is not the cause, he is a symptom of a broken system 

It's the moderate approach that has lead the US into its crumbling system, throwing votes aways because of tribalism, and the lesser of two evils vote, the moderate/compromised approach did not help with the pandemic, only in places that went hard are close to being free of it, climate change won't be helped by moderates either (the new deniers)

Not voting is a Vote 

You appear to be sincere, but I've had enough of trying to convince those that have seen the same World I have but don't want meaningful/long lasting/positive change, I'm out  (That's my Vote)

Last edited by Rab - on 03 August 2020

The surprising thing is that for someone who bashes "both sides", Rab only really posts anti-Dem propaganda, and never anti-Republican videos.

Moren said:
The surprising thing is that for someone who bashes "both sides", Rab only really posts anti-Dem propaganda, and never anti-Republican videos.

There is more than enough anti-rep videos out there, much of the better informed ones coming from the same sites I post here that also rip the Est Dems and mainstream media 

You're looking for a way to blame the messenger, it's easier that way, it helps you justify your mental position

The Est Dems are part of the same system as the Est Reps, they complement each other, the sad/frustrating thing is the Dems have a ton of good people trying to do good things for the wider society but are frustrated by its establishment that have sinically used Rep talking points to pull their initiatives apart    

Last edited by Rab - on 03 August 2020

Rab said:
sundin13 said:

Your argument is sincere but an old one that doesn't work for working people long term 

There is no good outcome voting for Est Dems or Est Reps, hasn't been good for decades, we are looking at decades more bad times for working people if we do what they expect (vote for one of them)

It's the moderate approach that has lead the US into its crumbling system, throwing votes aways because of tribalism, and the lesser of two evils vote, the moderate/compromised approach did not help with the pandemic, only in places that went hard are close to being free of it, climate change won't be helped by moderates either (the new deniers)

Not voting is a Vote 

You appear to be sincere, but I've had enough of trying to convince those that have seen the same World I have but don't want meaningful/long lasting/positive change, I'm out  (That's my Vote)

How about voting third party instead? Is that not an option for you or in your state?

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Rab said:

Not voting is a Vote 

How about voting third party instead? Is that not an option for you or in your state?

IMO that's an option for those that have found someone to vote for, sure, if not don't vote at all 

Rab said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

IMO that's an option for those that have found someone to vote for, sure, if not don't vote at all 

Coming from a country where voting is compulsory (another reason why people are very invested in politics here), not voting always feels like a waste to me. But I can understand why in the US if you live in a state with only few options.

Rab said:
sundin13 said:

Not voting is a Vote 

I agree that Trump is a symptom, but I see no reason to assume that allowing him to further break the system will help us in the long term. One of the biggest structural issues in this country is the Conservative lean in our judicial system and again, if we allow Trump to fill RBG's spot, there is not only a very low chance of any progressive legislation actually standing in the Supreme Court, but there is a pretty high chance that we will also see protections for abortion torn down as well as other fundamental protections. We also cannot deny the voices of those who are currently suffering under Trump who would be significantly better off under Biden. By allowing Trump another four years, we are allowing the Republicans to build significant structural hurdles which may hobble the kind of reform that you are asking for for decades.

What Biden represents is a small step in the right direction. What Trump represents is a sprint in the wrong direction, with walls erected behind him as he runs. In my opinion, you have failed to demonstrate that not voting is likely to lead to a positive scenario soon enough for it to matter. You know as well as any that we need to act now on climate change. Who is to say it won't be too late if we let Republicans decide the way forward for a few more elections until a "good candidate" wins?

sundin13 said:
Rab said:

Not voting is a Vote 

I agree that Trump is a symptom, but I see no reason to assume that allowing him to further break the system will help us in the long term. One of the biggest structural issues in this country is the Conservative lean in our judicial system and again, if we allow Trump to fill RBG's spot, there is not only a very low chance of any progressive legislation actually standing in the Supreme Court, but there is a pretty high chance that we will also see protections for abortion torn down as well as other fundamental protections. We also cannot deny the voices of those who are currently suffering under Trump who would be significantly better off under Biden. By allowing Trump another four years, we are allowing the Republicans to build significant structural hurdles which may hobble the kind of reform that you are asking for for decades.

What Biden represents is a small step in the right direction. What Trump represents is a sprint in the wrong direction, with walls erected behind him as he runs. In my opinion, you have failed to demonstrate that not voting is likely to lead to a positive scenario soon enough for it to matter. You know as well as any that we need to act now on climate change. Who is to say it won't be too late if we let Republicans decide the way forward for a few more elections until a "good candidate" wins?

I will admit Biden is far far better than Trump on Climate, for this reason alone I hope Biden wins and people like Bernie and AOC can guide him and he listens, I pray they can for the Worlds sake, the US is key

Ka-pi96 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Coming from a country where voting is compulsory (another reason why people are very invested in politics here), not voting always feels like a waste to me. But I can understand why in the US if you live in a state with only few options.

An evil country then.

I had that argument with a German teacher. She argued that the compulsory military service was the pinnacle of democracy, I said that compulsory voting would be it since voting is your highest right and might in a democracy. She didn't agree and went on why she thought the military service was more democratic.

I broke her bubble by pointing out that with compulsory voting, Hitler would have had zero chances of getting elected, while with the reintroduction of the military service, he was able to start both a world war and a genocide.

She was unable to answer anything after that for about 10 minutes...