By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Ah okay, nevermind then. Thought it was some proprietary software.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
jason1637 said:

There is a possibility for no EC victory the house would vot eon the President and the Senate on the Vice President.

So basically, Biden would become President (since the democrats control the house and will most probably keep it) but possibly with Trump as his VP (since it's not impossible that the republicans stay ahead in the Senate).

While I certainly don't want this to happen, I would love to see what would happen if that happens.

Nah the house votes on President between Biden and Trump 

Senate votes on Vice President between Mike Pence and whoever Biden picks.

New details have come out in the Ahmaud Arbery case (I don't believe this is directly related to the protests, and we have talked about it here before so I'm posting it here for now):

"GBI Assistant Special Agent in Charge Richard Dial testified that Bryan told police Travis McMichael said "f***ing n***er" after three blasts from his shotgun left Arbery dead in the street in the Satilla Shores neighborhood in February. Body camera footage also showed a Confederate flag sticker on the toolbox of McMichael's truck, he said."

There is additional information showing that Travis McMichael (shooter) and William Bryan (driver of rear vehicle) both regularly trafficked in racial slurs on social media and other communications.

Further:

"As Travis and Gregory McMichael attempted to head him off, Arbery turned and ran past the truck of Bryan, who filmed the killing, and Bryan struck Arbery with the side of his truck, Dial said."

Not only had both vehicles been involved in the chase, cutting him off several times, but Bryan actually hit Arbery with his truck at one point.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/04/us/mcmichaels-hearing-ahmaud-arbery/index.html

With all the BLM momentum happening right now I think its fair to assume Klobuchar and Harris wont be Bidens VP pick.

sethnintendo said:

@permalite I guess you never had a cop pull a gun on you. I was 16 dropping my friend off for a dime sack (10 dollars worth) and in parking lot I had an undercover pull his pistol on back of my head while sitting in my car while I saw swat team go up three flights of stairs to raid weed dealers apartment. Luckily I'm white and I put my hands up right away but one must question why the fuck would a cop have to pull gun on back of head while sitting in my car because of weed.  They eventually let me go because they didn't have shit on me but I was still threatened with gun in back of head because I dropped friend off to get weed.   Shit is fucked up here and that was 1999.

Drugs are against the law, even in the USA as far as I am aware, weed included. - Have you tried not breaking the law?
The war on drugs is a well documented political campaign by the American Government.

Not saying the officers reaction was justified, far from it, it was clearly an overreaction. - The USA seems to be a gun-happy place at the best of times, there is a reason why in film the USA is represented in such a fashion where you have an old man with a shotgun yelling at kids to get off his lawn.

In most European/Oceania/Developed nations a gun is only leveraged as an absolute last resort, otherwise tasers, batons, diplomacy are the tools used first and in some countries police don't even carry guns, that's a cultural and training thing.

Here in Australia we have gun control which has worked, so whenever a weapon is seen or used it's scrutiny is amplified, perhaps gun control is something the USA could consider going forth to minimize such transgressions?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

If 100% of eligible people in the US voted, the Republicans would never win an election again.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Pemalite said:
sethnintendo said:

@permalite I guess you never had a cop pull a gun on you. I was 16 dropping my friend off for a dime sack (10 dollars worth) and in parking lot I had an undercover pull his pistol on back of my head while sitting in my car while I saw swat team go up three flights of stairs to raid weed dealers apartment. Luckily I'm white and I put my hands up right away but one must question why the fuck would a cop have to pull gun on back of head while sitting in my car because of weed.  They eventually let me go because they didn't have shit on me but I was still threatened with gun in back of head because I dropped friend off to get weed.   Shit is fucked up here and that was 1999.

Drugs are against the law, even in the USA as far as I am aware, weed included. - Have you tried not breaking the law?
The war on drugs is a well documented political campaign by the American Government.

Not saying the officers reaction was justified, far from it, it was clearly an overreaction. - The USA seems to be a gun-happy place at the best of times, there is a reason why in film the USA is represented in such a fashion where you have an old man with a shotgun yelling at kids to get off his lawn.

In most European/Oceania/Developed nations a gun is only leveraged as an absolute last resort, otherwise tasers, batons, diplomacy are the tools used first and in some countries police don't even carry guns, that's a cultural and training thing.

Here in Australia we have gun control which has worked, so whenever a weapon is seen or used it's scrutiny is amplified, perhaps gun control is something the USA could consider going forth to minimize such transgressions?

Weed is legal in a decent amount of states now.  It is pretty much the least harmful drug on the planet and is far better than alcohol.

Don't think we will ever get gun control in USA.  Heck we can't even ban AR-15s.  There was an assault rifle ban in 90s but for some reason it was only a 10 year ban which makes no sense (plus you could still have one as long before the 1994 law, just weren't allowed to manufacture). I like living in USA but sometimes I just don't know.

I envy countries like yours that are actually able to address serious issues such as gun violence through legislative action.  Here we get "thoughts and prayers".  We are gun crazy over here.  I don't own any and never will.  I've fired off plenty at friends ranch but I don't need one to "protect" myself.

Last edited by sethnintendo - on 05 June 2020

Shadow1980 said:
SanAndreasX said:

The House of Representatives could theoretically impeach the President as many times as they want, but it doesn't matter when there is no way the Senate will vote to convict. And the Senate has a position called Senate Majority Leader, which is defined entirely in Senate rules and not by the Constitution as the Speaker of the House is, and the Senate has chosen to give him virtually limitless power, which includes single-handedly grinding the entire Senate to a halt by refusing to bring legislation to the floor, refusing to hold hearings for Supreme Court Justices, and possibly even refusing to even hold an impeachment trial. The current leader, Mitch McConnell (R-KY) is honestly one of the biggest problems in government right now. A lot of issues effecting the entire country are being held hostage by a man who is only voted on by the residents of one state with a small population and an even smaller economic footprint.

To continue from where I was in the other thread, the Senate really does seem to be where good ideas go to die.

For example, here's the final vote for the Civil Rights Act, which didn't die, but was subject to fierce opposition from enough Senators to where its viability might have been in question:

27 "nay" votes, 21 from the former Confederate States. And the bill was filibustered before that, because of course it was. Senate rules at the time required 67 votes to invoke cloture and end a filibuster. The final cloture vote was 72-28. Meaning the cloture vote just barely passed with only five more votes than what was needed. If there had been just six abstentions, the Civil Rights Act wouldn't have passed. It basically took a nearly united from from nearly every Senator outside the Southeast to get the bill through the Senate.

And here's the Senate cloture vote for the 1969 Bayh—Celler Amendment, which would have abolished the Electoral College at a time when there was widespread bipartisan support for doing so, and which passed the House by an overwhelming majority:

The cloture vote failed 54-36. 19 of those "nay" votes were again from the former Confederacy, with another two being from the border states of Kentucky and West Virginia. That's a significant amount of overlap between Senators who voted against the Civil Rights Act and Senators (or their successors) voting against the Bayh—Celler Amendment. The remaining 17 "nay" votes were assorted Republicans from outside the South. There was a second cloture vote that failed 53-34.

It always seems like Southern conservatives and those politically aligned to them tends to stand at the heart of opposition to real reform. Perhaps it's no coincidence that Mitch McConnell, along with Rand Paul, is from Kentucky. Even today, the South represents a plurality of the GOP delegation to the Senate, and conservative Southern values still inform much of GOP policy.

The Senate was created with the purpose of having half of Congress giving equal representation to all states regardless of population, and being originally elected by the state legislature rather than by direct popular vote, the Senate was also supposed to represent the interests of the state, rather than the voters themselves. It was also supposed to be a more self-policing house with greater freedom to make its own rules than the House of Representatives. The Speaker of the House is well-defined in the Constitution. The President Pro Tempore of the Senate is largely a ceremonial position given to the longest-serving Senator. The Senate Majority Leader role is entirely defined by Senate rules and was created in the 1930s, so basically his authority is whatever the Senate says it is.

The Senate has always been problematic. The way Senators were originally picked, which was by being elected by the state legislature, ended up in a few cases with states having no Senate representation because their state governments were so dysfunctional. There was also the issue that many states malapportioned their legislatures to give rural counties with few people the same weight as a city with thousands of people.  Hence the 17th Amendment.

The counterargument is that since senators are now no longer beholden to their states through the state government, that federal power has been expanded at the expense of state sovereignty. State legislatures could no longer pressure Senators on their choice of whether to confirm Supreme Court nominees, for example. A lot of people on the right advocate passing another amendment to repeal the 17th Amendment, which would abolish direct election of Senators, and again, this is a popular idea among Southern conservatives.

What you said also highlights a reductionist claim I see from conservatives from time to time that "Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Act while Democrats voted against it." Support or opposition for the CRA was defined almost entirely by geography rather than party. In both houses of Congress, almost every Democrat from a non-Southern state voted for the Civil Rights Act. A few Southern Democrats did cross over and vote for the CRA as well. Most of the non-Southern opposition to the Civil Rights Act in both houses, as you noted, came from Republicans, and every single southern Republican in both houses voted against the Civil Rights Act. One of the "no" votes came from Senator Barry Goldwater (R-AZ), who was Johnson's opponent in 1964 and who was seen as a moderate.

“Hopefully, George is looking down right now and saying this is a great thing that’s happening for our country,” Mr. Trump said. “This is a great day for him, it’s a great day for everybody. This is a great day for everybody. This is a great, great day in terms of equality.”

After his remarks, the president did not take questions from reporters the White House had assembled for the event. But he did respond to Yamiche Alcindor of PBS, who asked him to describe his plan to address systemic racism.

“What you now see, it’s been happening, is the greatest thing that can happen for race relations,” Mr. Trump said, “for the African-American community, for the Asian-American, for the Hispanic-American community, for women, for everything.”
He rolled his eyes when she asked how the unemployment numbers for blacks and Asian-Americans could be declared a victory.

“You are something,” Mr. Trump told her, refusing to answer as he tried to sign a piece of legislation relaxing restrictions on small-business loan recipients. The president also ignored a question from another reporter who asked how a better economy would have protected Mr. Floyd.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/05/us/politics/trump-jobs-report-george-floyd.html

You can't make this stuff up. So his entire plan so far to end racism is for a strong economy.  The great day for George remark was pretty damn bad. 

sethnintendo said:

Weed is legal in a decent amount of states now.  It is pretty much the least harmful drug on the planet and is far better than alcohol.

Wasn't aware of it's legality status.

As for harm... Smoking it causes cancer it shares over 50 of the same carcinogens as tobacco.

I have also had to cut people out of a vehicle because they were stoned and lost control of their vehicle, let's not paint it is a wonder drug that has no risk.

sethnintendo said:

Don't think we will ever get gun control in USA.  Heck we can't even ban AR-15s.  There was an assault rifle ban in 90s but for some reason it was only a 10 year ban which makes no sense (plus you could still have one as long before the 1994 law, just weren't allowed to manufacture). I like living in USA but sometimes I just don't know.

I envy countries like yours that are actually able to address serious issues such as gun violence through legislative action.  Here we get "thoughts and prayers".  We are gun crazy over here.  I don't own any and never will.  I've fired off plenty at friends ranch but I don't need one to "protect" myself.

You need bipartisan government support on issues to really enact systemic change.

For example... Gun control was initiated here by a conservative right-wing government which had large swathes of it's political party as pro-gun.

The thing here is that after the Port Arthur Massacre, the entire nation looked and frowned upon guns, which meant that if the Government wanted to build up good will, then doing *something* about the gun violence had to be done.

In the USA it's a little different, doesn't matter what a Republican or Democrat government does, they will always be criticized by their opponents and they will always be supported by their support base, even is rigid in their political beliefs over there.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--