By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware March 9th 2019

0D0 said:
curl-6 said:

Over 5 million people bought NSMBU on Wii U, that's more than most games can ever hope to sell, so it's not like "nobody bought it".

And even if hardly anyone did, that wouldn't change the fact that it was publicly available to own for over 6 years before it's re-release on Switch, so personally I'm still gonna stick with the definition of "new" as a game that hasn't seen release before at all.

Nintendo had a lot of done games that they simply released as new, that's the whole marketing behind those games. For most NSW audience, they're all new games. Wii U was an obscure console for die hard fans, that's why I can say that nobody on the mainstream game audience bought it.

Wii U is an obscure console comparing it with 3DS, DS, Wii, or NSW. Even though sticking to the dictionary definition is all right, I think it doesn't apply to the specific context of this discussion. Yes, the games were factually out before, but it really doesn't matter much in this specific business case.

Well, I was (and forever will be) using the "never released before" definition of "new" when it comes to games. That's just me.

We could go back and forth on this forever though, so suffice to say we're simply applying different usages of the term.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 29 March 2019

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
0D0 said:

Nintendo had a lot of done games that they simply released as new, that's the whole marketing behind those games. For most NSW audience, they're all new games. Wii U was an obscure console for die hard fans, that's why I can say that nobody on the mainstream game audience bought it.

Wii U is an obscure console comparing it with 3DS, DS, Wii, or NSW. Even though sticking to the dictionary definition is all right, I think it doesn't apply to the specific context of this discussion. Yes, the games were factually out before, but it really doesn't matter much in this specific business case.

Well, I was (and forever will be) using the "never released before" definition of "new" when it comes to games. That's just me.

We could go back and forth on this forever though, so suffice to say we're simply applying different usages of the term.

I can agree with you now.

That's why some think, I do, that Nintendo can easily live of their brands and old games much more than other developers.

I feel like if Nintendo supposedly decided to release a console with no new games whatsoever, only re-releases of old games, they'd sell significantly while any other developer in the marketing would fail. It's incredible how loyal Nintendo fans are. Nintendo can re-release a few Mario/Zelda games 10 times (being hyperbolic here of course) and they will sell tons anyway. The last time I posted something like that I got a warning for hating comment on the grounds that I was meaning that Nintendo fans are stupid and buy the same thing again without thinking. Well, I don't know if what I'm saying is offensive, but my point is: Nintendo has so many powerful brands and high quality games, that if they don't have anything else to release, they still can make significant money just by re-releasing old games. This is a fact and I don't mean to offend those Nintendo owners that do "re-buy Super Mario Bros 3" every generation again, I just find this experience very interesting and for me it makes Nintendo's situation far easier that other developers and console makers. Again, when I say that life is easier for Nintendo, I don't mean to downplay Nintendo, it's just that Nintendo, by its own efforts, has developed a very powerful library in the past.

The Wii U library is powerful and when Nintendo re-releases those games, the impact is huge on Switch, because that's how Nintendo works. Many then will say "Look, Switch is so successful and it almost has no new games, how wonderful.", but Nintendo, regarding its past games reuse power, is on a different league than its competition and that matters in a comparative analysis. Nintendo has unique strengths that must go to the equation.

That happens on other markets too. In Hollywood, Disney is in an absolutely different position that the likes of Sony and Warner. Disney's just Star Wars, Mickey, Lion King and Marvel owner. Disney isn't just another Hollywood studio and Nintendo, in terms of library and re-release sales figures, has historical results that differ a lot from the competition.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?