By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sekiro: Shadow die twice, holds strong at 90 on Opencritic based on 111 reviewers. GotY?

Tagged games:

Sekerio, Your Game of the year?

Yes. 11 21.57%

No. 21 41.18%

Maybe, unsure just yet. 12 23.53%

/indifferent/not played/other in comments. 7 13.73%

Total:51
Nate4Drake said:
Ok, I love this Game. I'm impressed, gameplay is fantastic ! It's all about timing, reflexes, cold blood and a good strategy and your learning curve. It is challenging, yes, but it also gives incredible satisfaction once your strategy get better and you learn the best way to approach a Boss. I have still to beat Genichiro, but I will later, hopefully :D
I probably need to be more patient, to guard more, have better timing and study his movements more :D This Game is beautiful, I also love the art design and the environments. Who finished it ? It is getting even better after the 3rd Boss ?

Glad to hear you like it! I'm in the same boat, because while it's SIMILAR to Souls, it's wholly its own thing. 

I describe it as 'about 50% souls-like', in that the design philosophy is the same (learn from your mistakes, adapt, the same world design and checkpoint system, the same healing system, many elements similar) but the story and character work is its own thing lacking in online or RPG elements or the ability to create your own character. 

Honestly, this is exactly what I Wanted. It's so much deeper in terms of combat than Dark Souls or even Bloodborne, which means that, while there's only one build/weapon, that one build/weapon is so versatile and well thought out I won't complain! 

Love this game so far, despite despising LadyButterfly. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

I picked up the game for PC on Friday. I've probably only got about 7 or 8 hours in due to my commitments to my infant twins. Currently stuck on Lady Butterfly (the only capital B boss I've encountered so far). I've only got two gourd uses at the moment, so I figure I should probably go back to the original area (where I found the bell) and maybe work my way further there. I have a feeling Lady Butterfly probably isn't the first boss I should be facing. I can find a groove with her where I'm blocking and dodging and attacking, but if I make one mistake, I'm pretty much as good as dead.

Anyways, huge Soulsborne fan from the early days of Demon's Souls. Took me a bit to get used to the combat, and I'm loving the stealth aspects as well. But yeah, there's no doubt in my mind this is the most difficult thing From has done in the Souls style. It's not even close, really. This game is brutal. I'm at work now wishing I could go home and play.

pc may be the way to go hmm

John2290 said:
SecondWar said:

That's what I've been doing yet I can still barely land a blow. One of the reasons I don't want to sneak around him is I know there is a larger boss not far down the road so it'd be like dodging a bullet to get hit by a cannon. I'm all for a learning curve in games but there's a difference between challenging and throwing you in straight at the deep end with little to no guidance.

I know what I'm like with games and I think I'm going to struggle to see this through. I gave up on Doom halfway through, even though I thought it was brilliant because it felt like too much of a chore to play.

Landing a hit yourself and doging or jumping should always be secondary to deflecting the enemies blows, you should then weave in hits of your own which usually work best after the enemy has just attacked, you can attempt to go aggressively here for greatrr posture damage or go back to deflecting if the enemy is a more aggresive type. Have a few runs where you go in to die and just focus on deflecting his attacks  it's what I'm doing with a boss right now thst has a posture and health gauge ten times as deep as deep as I've encounters yet, all I can do right now is just keep learning his patterns until it all forms in my mind and then I'll pop a few sugers and have a full on go at him. 

Deflecting just doesn't seem to work in him, the timing just doesn't seem possible.

However, I've literally killed him just this minute (although he'll regenerate when I go back to an idol). I think I got a bit lucky, but in the end I found he seemed to be rather open to jump kicks, which broke his guard and I could get a couple of hits off before he recovered.

Edit: ok, it seems only nameless enemies regenerate after visiting an idol. Handy to know.

It didnt seem that way. At the sony event, i only got to try the burning village stage. All the enemies with one handed weapon and handed weapons all attacked the same. Even if u dodge when they attack, they will block your counterattack right after. 

More so if they are with arrow shootong guys, the guys woth weapons will just block while the arrow guys shoot you to death. For me thats no skill involved right there. Thats being cheap. It feels like the game was made that way to make it last longer than it should.. Frame stuttering alone should have reduce the meta critic score. No game should have that and then score such high marks.

John2290 said:

dane007 said:
I recently tried it when i went ti Malaysia. They had a ps4 event there. The game was showcased on a ps4 pro. Game looks nice however the frame stuttering is really bad. It happens alot and can be off puting. In terms of combat, all the Ai does is block your attacks and then when it hits you , u lose 3/4 of your life. Thats no skill or smart Ai. It looks and intentional way to annoy u

You are failing to see the nuance of the combat, it isn't simply slashing your sword onto an enemies blade and trying not to get hit. It's also not about AI effectiveness here but shear overwhelming numbers of animations. Every enemy has different moves and variations of those moves as well as animation where they subtley try to trick you, it is the same approach Naughty dog are taking with TLOU 2 albeit to a lesser degree in a different genre, bombard the player with animations to give an illusion of greater AI, I'm not defending it but from my experience with this game, it works. Some bosses here feel as if it's PVP.

Around the Network
dane007 said:

John2290 said:

You are failing to see the nuance of the combat, it isn't simply slashing your sword onto an enemies blade and trying not to get hit. It's also not about AI effectiveness here but shear overwhelming numbers of animations. Every enemy has different moves and variations of those moves as well as animation where they subtley try to trick you, it is the same approach Naughty dog are taking with TLOU 2 albeit to a lesser degree in a different genre, bombard the player with animations to give an illusion of greater AI, I'm not defending it but from my experience with this game, it works. Some bosses here feel as if it's PVP.

Hey, its a better way it implment difficultly than a lot of games typically use - same number of enemies by with health multiplers. That is just boring.

Both are equally bad. I dont support that either. Both dont require any skill hence why my favorite game of all time is ninja gaiden on og xbox.  That was pure skill. Heck dark soils has more skill than this and i am not a big fan of ds. 

I cant wait for the day when console games will have AI that learns how you play and then changes its style to counterattack yours. Rather have that then fancy graphics at 4k 😂 

SecondWar said:

dane007 said:

Hey, its a better way it implment difficultly than a lot of games typically use - same number of enemies by with health multiplers. That is just boring.

dane007 said:

Both are equally bad. I dont support that either. Both dont require any skill hence why my favorite game of all time is ninja gaiden on og xbox.  That was pure skill. Heck dark soils has more skill than this and i am not a big fan of ds. 

I cant wait for the day when console games will have AI that learns how you play and then changes its style to counterattack yours. Rather have that then fancy graphics at 4k 😂 

SecondWar said:

What do you mean you don't need skill, the blocking and deflecting is there because of the "Posture Mechanic", you deflect enemies to break their posture for you to perform a deathblow, enemies block and deflect too, but lesser enemies mostly just block that's why they are easier to deathblow, in case you did not notice, when you deflect(tapping L1/LB), a big spark is noticeable compared to just blocking(holding L1/LB) where there is less spark and in turn gets your posture build hence you get stunned for a bit. This is not like Soulsborne where enemies will most likely just take every hit you give.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

This is based on what i was allowed to play at Sonys event. None of the enemies did what u mentioned. I only saw them block every attack even when i was behind them lol.

Plus for me its not skill as the game has frame stuttering during gameplay. technical issues adding unneccessary difficulty to game. Game with precision attacks should never have frame stuttering. Bare in mind i havent tried pc. It was only the Ps4 that i tried it on.

Sunstrider said:

dane007 said:

What do you mean you don't need skill, the blocking and deflecting is there because of the "Posture Mechanic", you deflect enemies to break their posture for you to perform a deathblow, enemies block and deflect too, but lesser enemies mostly just block that's why they are easier to deathblow, in case you did not notice, when you deflect(tapping L1/LB), a big spark is noticeable compared to just blocking(holding L1/LB) where there is less spark and in turn gets your posture build hence you get stunned for a bit. This is not like Soulsborne where enemies will most likely just take every hit you give.

Nope. Not at all.

Lube Me Up