By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sekiro: Shadow die twice, holds strong at 90 on Opencritic based on 111 reviewers. GotY?

Tagged games:

Sekerio, Your Game of the year?

Yes. 11 21.57%

No. 21 41.18%

Maybe, unsure just yet. 12 23.53%

/indifferent/not played/other in comments. 7 13.73%

Total:51
John2290 said:
SecondWar said:
I'm struggling with this game - probably doesn't help that I've never played dark souls. I've done the prologue and that's it, I just cant figure out the combat. Dodge doesn't seem to work and I can't find a way past the first mini boss. Plus the game punishes you for dying.

The basic enemies at the start have a reflect timing roughly between midway between their attack animation and just before it hits. Look for their attack missing and deflect, it'll raise their posture bar and you can sneak in a bit or two to raise it more.

Play patiently until you can play skill fully, These games always feel as if they get easier but it's you that is getting better with time. Sekerio is slightly different as you have more skill based and speed based play at work, at it's core though it is all timing based and as long as you get the timing down you will get into a rhythm and muscle memory will take sober that part of the game until you encounter a new enemy that require you to relearn some timing. 

I would say, whatever you do stick with the game. For me there was a ten hour hump with Bloodborne before it all clicked, I was confused in those ten hours and frustrated but realized later I was over think g it by a mile and trying to brute force my way through a game that requires a little more finesse to being with. 

Atm, I'm really on a knife-edge tbh. I keep going back to the undying guy to train, but problem is he doesn't fight like the General guy I'm stuck on so he isn't good practice. Everything that works on him fails elsewhere. The preview before I picked the game up said there all subtle difference between attacks that tell me what to do. Problem is they are either so subtle you can't actually notice them or if you can it's too late to do anything and you get hit. It's frustrating but it's starting to feel like he can't be beaten at this at this point in the game (although I know that isn't true but I can't understand how it can be done). My only option seems to be to be to bypass him entirely but I'm being stubborn and would rather take him down.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
SecondWar said:

Atm, I'm really on a knife-edge tbh. I keep going back to the undying guy to train, but problem is he doesn't fight like the General guy I'm stuck on so he isn't good practice. Everything that works on him fails elsewhere. The preview before I picked the game up said there all subtle difference between attacks that tell me what to do. Problem is they are either so subtle you can't actually notice them or if you can it's too late to do anything and you get hit. It's frustrating but it's starting to feel like he can't be beaten at this at this point in the game (although I know that isn't true but I can't understand how it can be done). My only option seems to be to be to bypass him entirely but I'm being stubborn and would rather take him down.

Keep trying, you'll get him eventually but there is no need to burn out on him  planty more mob enemies to get your skills up on and stuff to unlock. You can stealth his first death blow from a ledge if you haven't already and it'll be half the fight needed. 

That's what I've been doing yet I can still barely land a blow. One of the reasons I don't want to sneak around him is I know there is a larger boss not far down the road so it'd be like dodging a bullet to get hit by a cannon. I'm all for a learning curve in games but there's a difference between challenging and throwing you in straight at the deep end with little to no guidance.

I know what I'm like with games and I think I'm going to struggle to see this through. I gave up on Doom halfway through, even though I thought it was brilliant because it felt like too much of a chore to play.

I´m still really early in the first area but so far the story and item descriptions are far more straightforward than DS and BB...does the story turn more cryptic like in those games?

John2290 said:
Sunstrider said:

Haven't encountered this optional boss yet, is it near the area with a warning sign?

And for Lady Butterfly, after 8 tries, I found the fight to be pretty straight forward in the first round, just build up her posture by deflecting and dodge stepping her unblockable move when she jumps, then the second is quite tricky because of the illusions and flaming butterflies, the illusions parts is quite easy, you can just run around the area until she Thanos snaps them but don't stop yet as they turn into a lot of flaming butterflies but they are easy to evade, then comes the deflecting and posture build up same as the first round though this time she summons 2-4 butterflies so just dodge step them then keep watching her moves, they're still the same as the first round, oh and shurikens are quite helpful when she jumps.

Edit: I just stumbled upon this guy, I'm guessing this is what you were talking about? I'm scared to jump down lol, I'll do this tomorrow.

Yup, that's the guy. Good luck and Lady Butterfly has a second phase, ffs. I was taking pleasure in the fact that use only had one life. Barry save me now. 

Just beat him, this one's real easy, as long as you have a pacifying agent(kill the undying around the area to get this) and a divine confetti cause of the evil aura this thing has this gives your damage a boost, and also a blue sugar for vitality as this guy hits hard even though I already have 13 vitality, it can three hit me.

Heads up after the fight, there's a really big fall a little further on, don't forget to use your grapple, nearly gave me a heart attack as I thought the riddle was about trust or something.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

I'm currently stuck at two different branches. Maybe 3? One of them I'm unsure of the end game.

I just beat the Blazing Boar (on my first try, even. No idea why people think that one was hard. Just run to the left, wait for it to pivot, attack a few times, wait to execute. Really simple, barely even got hit.) and now I'm in the huge village area with all the dudes on the rooftops as well as the general flanked by FOUR gunners. I hate fighting the generals/minibosses in some respects because I find them cheaper and less fair than the bosses. On the flipside, you can cheese them, get stealth kills on them, and make them forget you exist.

Anyway, have no idea what lies beyond that point.

Then off to the left there is the tutorial area and...uh...there's some dude in the well that killed me in one attempt. Not sure if that's a pathway or just an optional side boss.

Then I'm still stuck at Lady Butterfly, who is quite remarkably stupid. Like, it doesn't seem to matter what I do to her, she deflects everything. I dodge, sure, but she still hits me and then she breaks through my posture. Furthermore, her part 2 segment is just nuts - as in, just as hard as the first one but NOW SHE HAS HOMING MISSILES a la Lothric and Lorian' s second phase.

I'm sure I'll learn eventually, but right now I've got to take a break.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

Runa216 said:
I'm currently stuck at two different branches. Maybe 3? One of them I'm unsure of the end game.

I just beat the Blazing Boar (on my first try, even. No idea why people think that one was hard. Just run to the left, wait for it to pivot, attack a few times, wait to execute. Really simple, barely even got hit.) and now I'm in the huge village area with all the dudes on the rooftops as well as the general flanked by FOUR gunners. I hate fighting the generals/minibosses in some respects because I find them cheaper and less fair than the bosses. On the flipside, you can cheese them, get stealth kills on them, and make them forget you exist.

Anyway, have no idea what lies beyond that point.

Then off to the left there is the tutorial area and...uh...there's some dude in the well that killed me in one attempt. Not sure if that's a pathway or just an optional side boss.

Then I'm still stuck at Lady Butterfly, who is quite remarkably stupid. Like, it doesn't seem to matter what I do to her, she deflects everything. I dodge, sure, but she still hits me and then she breaks through my posture. Furthermore, her part 2 segment is just nuts - as in, just as hard as the first one but NOW SHE HAS HOMING MISSILES a la Lothric and Lorian' s second phase.

I'm sure I'll learn eventually, but right now I've got to take a break.

I haven't beaten her yet, but in her first phase being very aggressive seems to help. Also when  she goes in the air try shooting her down with a shurikan. She blocks it sometimes, but if it hits it'll let you get a few hits in.

I recently tried it when i went ti Malaysia. They had a ps4 event there. The game was showcased on a ps4 pro. Game looks nice however the frame stuttering is really bad. It happens alot and can be off puting. In terms of combat, all the Ai does is block your attacks and then when it hits you , u lose 3/4 of your life. Thats no skill or smart Ai. It looks and intentional way to annoy u

Yeah, this game is just way too complicated for me. Maybe Im just too used to Souls and Bloodborne games. Nioh was fun, but I had a hard time wrapping my head around everything in that game as well. I beat it, but it was extremely hard because I missed several things that would have helped me.

I just don't have the energy to learn all the techniques in Sekiro. Its just too much.

Update: I beat Lady Butterfly....after dying more times than Ornstein and Smough and the Nameless King put together. Very annoying boss.

Not a fan of bosses that just block everything all the time and can hit you out of nowhere even if you're blocking or dodging.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Ok, I love this Game. I'm impressed, gameplay is fantastic ! It's all about timing, reflexes, cold blood and a good strategy and your learning curve. It is challenging, yes, but it also gives incredible satisfaction once your strategy get better and you learn the best way to approach a Boss. I have still to beat Genichiro, but I will later, hopefully :D
I probably need to be more patient, to guard more, have better timing and study his movements more :D This Game is beautiful, I also love the art design and the environments. Who finished it ? It is getting even better after the 3rd Boss ?

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.