By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sekiro: Shadow die twice, holds strong at 90 on Opencritic based on 111 reviewers. GotY?

Tagged games:

Sekerio, Your Game of the year?

Yes. 11 21.57%

No. 21 41.18%

Maybe, unsure just yet. 12 23.53%

/indifferent/not played/other in comments. 7 13.73%

Total:51

No hype from me, not my type of game. I'd get so frustrated that i'd want to throw my controller.

Around the Network

Somewhat optimisitc - from everything I've seen so far I actually don't think I'd like it anywhere near as much as Souls, but I need hands on experience for any further judgement. Weekend, here I come...

Still on 91. Yeah incredible reviews.

Looks great. Not a fan of Souls. This looks more like Otogi to me. Will buy.

Machina said:
It's a shame to hear it's easier than Soulsborne, but the change of gameplay approach could be good. I think FromSoftware's output is overrated (still good, but not OMGWOWAMAZING! that most people seem to consider it), but I'll definitely get it at some point.

I´ve been reading the official thread on ResetEra and the vast majority there think it´s far harder than any Dark Souls game and Bloodborne, but of course difficulty is one of those things that might vary wildly depending on the player´s skill.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
RaptorChrist said:

Well the way I see it, you only live once (except in Sekiro, ironically), so you might as well play the games you want to play, even if it means giving money to a company you don't like.

Liking it so far? I play through these games at a snails pace. I played for about an hour and 15 minutes so far tonight and just reached the area after that opening tutorial (probably 15 minutes into the game for most folks). So far this game is absolutely in the vein of a Soulslike, but it is much more slimmed down. Personally, some of my favorite aspects of the Souls games are the progression systems and the variety of weapons and magicks, but It's too early for me to tell if this will stack up.

I can say that for me the opening area was pretty awesome, although performance-wise I'm hoping to see some things patched up. Draw distances are extremely low for foliage, and so there was a lot of pop-in with the environmental details that were really not more than a few seconds away from my character. Also, FromSoft seems to like putting this filter over the game that makes everything slightly blurred (hard to explain, but I noticed it in other Souls games as well).

TLDR; Sekiro is awesome so far. Wish I could stay up later and play more, but kids. Glad I used paid time off for tomorrow. Looking forward to this weekend. Praise the sun.

Loving it, first in line for game of the year contender and it's only competition  is Re2 remake. This looks to be a lot stronger I'd it continues on the path it is on, spent near 5 hours without last night and If I wasn't getting old I'd have went all night. On pro on a 4k HDR TV the game looks beautiful and the best if the year so far, there is mild detail pop in like you mentioned but it is only detail and very rare, mostly shadows and grass. It does get blurry in the far distance, it took me ages to spot that there was a huge mount fugi like mountain hanging back there but I thinknthisbis by design. 

Looks fantastic. Sounds fantastic. Runs fantastic. Plays absolutely fantastically. 

Now I'm seriously hyped, and the Game is available for download...I'm so close to click on purchase :D    This is the Game I was waiting for.   Ok, I just clicked, can't miss this.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

I only like when games i already intended to buy get great reviews. That way everyone else knows how great that game is. I don't care when games I don't want get great reviews. In fact, I actually prefer if they get bad reviews so I don't feel like I'm missing out on something.

Same goes for movies.

I'm kidding. I have no idea what this game is about but it's on my radar, now. I'll do some research and if it's my type of game, I'll give it a shot.

JamesGarret said:
Machina said:
It's a shame to hear it's easier than Soulsborne, but the change of gameplay approach could be good. I think FromSoftware's output is overrated (still good, but not OMGWOWAMAZING! that most people seem to consider it), but I'll definitely get it at some point.

I´ve been reading the official thread on ResetEra and the vast majority there think it´s far harder than any Dark Souls game and Bloodborne, but of course difficulty is one of those things that might vary wildly depending on the player´s skill.

Might just be because you can't just level up and cheese the game, you have to ACTUALLY git gud. (I hate that phrase but it applies.) 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

this shows again that fromsoftware is one of the best developers

I'm only just past the tutorial area and I have some thoughts. All of them remarkably positive, the game has given me an outstanding first impression.

1 - It both IS and IS NOT a soulsborne game. It has the same design philosophy in terms of healing items, returning to base, checkpoints, unlocking shortcuts, world design, and the requirement to actually learn from your mistakes and play it smart. On the opposite end, it doesn't have much in terms of character customization but does have an emphasis on an actual story, there are no level-up RPG elements or different builds, just improvements on the one play style. I like the balance here, especially since it takes another step away from the Souls formula in much the same way Bloodborne did so.

2 - The combat is visceral and weighty and satisfying. So far I'm only just past the tutorial area but sneaking, dodging, deflecting, and parrying while taking down your opponent's defenses just feels so good. It's too early to say but this might be my favorite combat system in a Souls game so far.

3 - I actually really like that the story isn't so cryptic like it is in Dark Souls/Bloodborne. I love the cryptic storytelling of those titles, to be sure, but sometimes I want something a bit more straightforward and this goes in a satisfying direction, as far as I can tell. I also like that, rather than just tossing you in with a few optional messages on the ground there's an actual tutorial that teaches you how to move, attack, and sneak. Also, you can jump.

4 - The Tutorial is actually brilliant, on par with some of the best 'show and tell' style tutorials. IT shows you how to move, how to move the camera, how to jump, how to wall jump, how to hug walls, to sneak, and to shimmy all within the first minutes and it's all intuitive. then, after you get your weapon it goes through a series of fights en route to the first miniboss and the first boss in a steadily escalating difficulty curve that forces you to learn while being kind to you. There are four types of enemies.

A - A simple, basic enemy. Has a sword but no real armour.
B - An advanced enemy. Has a sword and some armour.
C - A miniboss with a huge sword and huge health pool.
D - A boss with a bunch of attacks meant to wreck you.

The fights go like this:

- First fight has you sneaking up against a single Type A enemy facing away from you. Teaches you stealth and visceral attacks.
- Second fight has you fighting a single Type A enemy that fights you head to head. Teaches you positioning and timing.
- Third fight has you squaring off against a single Type B enemy. teaches you the timing and importance of deflection.
- Fourth fight has you going head to head agaisnt two Type A enemies. Teaches you kiting and crowd control.
- Fifth fight has you against one Type A enemy and one Type B enemy. Teaches you how to balance and prioritize.
- Sixth fight pits you against a mini-boss with a tonne of health, tests you on all of the above while teaching you health management as well as defense/poise weakening.
- Seventh fight - after a long stretch of a few various situations along the way that require stealth and all the skills so far - is a major test of all of the above.

It's been a long time since I had a tutorial area teach you everything you need to know about this game so efficiently. We learn about the combat system and many of its base-level nuances, the importance of stealth and parrying/deflection/stance breaking. we learn about the existence and significance of minibosses, about world traversal, etc.

So yeah, it both is and isn't a souls game. It is its own thing but it takes so much from souls and is from the same developer that it's hard not to compare. I went into this subconsciously hoping for it to be very souls-like (Bloodborne, dark Souls, and Dark Souls III are among my all-time favorite games) despite the developer and marketing all making it clear this was NOT a souls game. So far I've gotten exactly what I hoped for: Souls-like design philosophy but with a more linear story lacking RPG elements. Phenomenal first impression, I must say.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android