By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Stadia is Everything Money Grubbing "AAA" Publishers Could Ever Ask For

jonathanalis said:

Also, if it is so bad in general, it wont kill the dedicated hardware market. ( i think so if even it succeds, but if not, for sure)

Exactly correct.  Gaming transactions happen in a mostly free market. Consumers have a ton of power to determine what happens in the industry. These companies chase profits, and the only way they get them is by selling things that consumers want to buy.  

Around the Network

So much panic over nothing...

Did I even read that we might get broke in the future because of the costs of streaming?

We have even more movie options nowadays than before streaming got big with DVDs, Blu-Ray, UHD Blu-Ray as options...

We got much more and sometimes also better TV shows with streaming.

We have still CDs for music. Vinyl even has some comeback while most just stream.

But sure, game streaming will destroy everything...

Just forget about all the possibilities to give us even more games and options, just pretend as if the end is near.

KLXVER said:
FarleyMcFirefly said:
The day this takes off and becomes mainstream is the day I stop modern gaming. Hopefully Nintendo releases physical games for a long time yet.

Could you imagine if both Sony and MS followed Google and Nintendo was the only one releasing physical games? They would need to buy another building to hold the money. It would be massive for at least some years.

I can see Nintendo being the ones to hold off the longest to fully switch to digital/subscription service. I think (hope) there is still a big enough market for physical for the next few years (hoping decade). 

1doesnotsimply

PwerlvlAmy said:
I hope it flops and fails as badly as OnLive. Purely personal and selfish reasons really, mainly because I do not like Google from a business stand point and data sharing stand point. I also look at it like these are the same people that are trying to sell us this streaming concept with Stadia when they cant even make Youtube properly send notifications to our subscribers boxes properly.

KLXVER said:
spemanig said:

The only thing that sucks is that when this thing takes off and changes gaming forever, it really is the beginning of the end for games preservation. That's really all I care about. Basically every Stadia exclusive will be lost to time in a few hundred years. That sucks.

How are you so certain this will be the future? 

People used to think flying cars would be the future, but we all know what a nightmare that would have been.

I mean, first, we already have flying cars. They're called helicopters.

Jokes aside, this won't be the future - it's literally already happening. This is like when people try to deny the already-happening abandonment of physical media. It's not the future - it's now. Game streaming already is happening now. To pretend that people won't adopt the clearly more convenient option more and more over time as the technology gets better is like owning a SNES, claiming that 3D gaming will never take off because it would be too complicated and ugly, blind to the 3D games already existing in parallel, improving in fidelity everyday.

"VR will never take off - Just look at how bad the Virtual Boy is! Cellphones will never take off - just look how big they are! Online video will never take off - look at how few people have good internet connection! Technology will never improve past what it currently is!" Come on, dude. What a nightmare playing any game you want in a second just by having your friend text it to you would be. What Google is doing here is revolutionary to a magnitude far greater than what most people can appreciate.

Around the Network
PwerlvlAmy said:
I hope it flops and fails as badly as OnLive. Purely personal and selfish reasons really, mainly because I do not like Google from a business stand point and data sharing stand point. I also look at it like these are the same people that are trying to sell us this streaming concept with Stadia when they cant even make Youtube properly send notifications to our subscribers boxes properly.

"Can't even?"

I get that it's popular to poopoo on Youtube right now, I like to do it too sometimes, but you're grossly underselling how massive an achievement it is that a platform with as much content constantly being uploaded as Youtube, with as many users and creators, with as many things that could go wrong, has such a good handle on keeping the house from burning down that the biggest problem someone can complain about is some people not getting notifications sometimes. You make it sound like Youtube is run by inept imbeciles, and not literal mega-geniuses who have no right no have such a massive platform run as smoothly as it consistently does. 300 hours of footage is uploaded every minute dude. 300 hours a minute. Give them room to breath.

spemanig said:
KLXVER said:

How are you so certain this will be the future? 

People used to think flying cars would be the future, but we all know what a nightmare that would have been.

I mean, first, we already have flying cars. They're called helicopters.

Jokes aside, this won't be the future - it's literally already happening. This is like when people try to deny the already-happening abandonment of physical media. It's not the future - it's now. Game streaming already is happening now. To pretend that people won't adopt the clearly more convenient option more and more over time as the technology gets better is like owning a SNES, claiming that 3D gaming will never take off because it would be too complicated and ugly, blind to the 3D games already existing in parallel, improving in fidelity everyday.

"VR will never take off - Just look at how bad the Virtual Boy is! Cellphones will never take off - just look how big they are! Online video will never take off - look at how few people have good internet connection! Technology will never improve past what it currently is!" Come on, dude. What a nightmare playing any game you want in a second just by having your friend text it to you would be. What Google is doing here is revolutionary to a magnitude far greater than what most people can appreciate.

... but VR hasn't taken off. It's carved out a little niche for itself and isn't any closer to breaking into the mainstream now than it was a decade ago. In all seriousness, PSVR is by far the most popular VR device on the planet, and after 3 years, it still hasn't broken 4 million in sales - making it much less mainstream today than Kinect was of yesteryear. Just like Racing Wheels. Racing wheels are an extremely successful business for those who cater to it, but very niche market that will never, ever, ever be mainstream no matter how cheap or how epic racing wheels and racing setups get. Vr has its place in gaming, but it's not next almost every playstation or xbox or gaming PC that can run it, that's very clear at this point.

So it doesn't matter that game streaming is here. It's been here for quite some time. The question is - will streaming ever become a serious competitor to a PC or console experience? Will the average gamer strongly consider a streaming service like Google Stadia instead of buying a PS5 or a Switch or a PC? If not - if it just carves out some other niche or grows into some other market and the people that would be Playstations or Xboxes or Nintendos, or plunk $500 on a Graphics Card on their PC, or spend an extra $200 on a monitor because it supports G-Sync, well, they keep on like they've been keeping on, and don't see Stadia or any other game streaming service as a platform genuinely worth their time - then Stadia or any other gaming service isn't "the future" for those gamers, is it?

Everything has it's advantages and disadvantages, and I've yet to hear a compelling case why the advantages of Stadia should have Sony, MS, or nVidia to name a few looking over their shoulders given all of those disadvantages that are still present and continue to be present in streamed gaming solutions. I don't think someone that's unwilling to drop $200 on a PS4 is going to be willing to drop $60 on the latest assasin's creed to play on their TV, or tablet, or smartphone while dragging a little controller everywhere just to play only to have to deal with such a volatile play experience from a company that is gathering as much data as they can off of them in the process and has a history of pulling the plug on massive projects regardless of what that means to the affected customers.

spemanig said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

"Can't even?"

I get that it's popular to poopoo on Youtube right now, I like to do it too sometimes, but you're grossly underselling how massive an achievement it is that a platform with as much content constantly being uploaded as Youtube, with as many users and creators, with as many things that could go wrong, has such a good handle on keeping the house from burning down that the biggest problem someone can complain about is some people not getting notifications sometimes. You make it sound like Youtube is run by inept imbeciles, and not literal mega-geniuses who have no right no have such a massive platform run as smoothly as it consistently does. 300 hours of footage is uploaded every minute dude. 300 hours a minute. Give them room to breath.

Are you actually being overwhelmingly ignorant with a dash of over positivity  or something?. There are plenty of reasons out there as to why Youtube isn't the best place in the world, why what it does can and has been wrong, why it guts animation artists out there, forcing them to rely on patron, or how it forces youtube content creators, to either spam content daily, or deliberately lengthen their videos, to match a specific time, in order to get any money at all. This isn't taking into account, the horrible youtube police (Heroes) that failed and was flawed from the start, or the youtube bots, or content creators and companies relying solely on hit and run CAD strikes, where even they don't have to put up a fight, the ones who have to fight are the ones who had the CAD issued to them.

Youtube is far from perfect and far from "genius". And it is run by people who are both out of touch and for the companies, rather than the creators. Have you also failed to notice that these youtube rewinds of recent years involve Youtubers who are just family friendly?, while ignoring the likes of Markiplier, Jacksepticeye and more. Google want this warped image of what they think Youtube is, without actually admitting what Youtube really is. That's not genius, that's just stupid and warped. Don't tell me what I think, I've been and seen youtube enough over the years to know what it is, better than the company that's out of touch with it (did I forget to mention how out of touch they were with forcing G+ on Youtube users?).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

So Google........... the biggest SJW/Safe space/Snowflake corporation on the planet has joined the gaming fray......... oh dear, oh dear oh DEAR...!!!!! if you think censorship is bad now, just WAIT and see what it will be like if this Stadia GARBAGE succeeds..... if you seriously like gaming, and are getting FED UP with SJW's ruining EVERYTHING they touch....... DO NOT INVEST IN THIS CRAP...!!!!!

Suddenly, I was just remembering that, from a year ago :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3exYkGdnPCY