By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Stadia is Everything Money Grubbing "AAA" Publishers Could Ever Ask For

melbye said:
kirby007 said:

So hows google going to effect that?

Because if have to stream a game and the internet goes out i can't play the game obviously

How is google going to affect those games?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
melbye said:

Because if have to stream a game and the internet goes out i can't play the game obviously

I get it, you are pro-streaming, but don't come crying when you can't play a game once streaming has taken over and there is a massive internet-outage

melbye said:
kirby007 said:

I get it, you are pro-streaming, but don't come crying when you can't play a game once streaming has taken over and there is a massive internet-outage

I did that when call of duty 2 launched for the xbox360 and xbox live was down. I got over it

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Chazore said:
VAMatt said:
A lot of comments in this thread demonstrate that gamers are just scared of change.

Scared?, why would we be "scared" of something we don't want encompassing our favorite hobby?.

You seem to think that if it's okay to you and that you welcome it, that everyone else must welcome it or be fear mongered/ridiculed into doing so. That's not smart and it just lends to sheeple mentality. You don't want to be called on making a bad decision, so you've whipped up the "no, it's you" kind of reasoning. 

The people that basically willingly go with this, precisely demonstrate that they care little for owning anything, and are more than happy to siphon their entire life savings to anything and everything, via a sub fee per week/month. imagine, turning everything into an endless funnel, where you're basically low on income per month, because everything is sub based, wouldn't that be amazing for everyone? (Don't go "no", because this is practically where we're headed via music, movies, tv and now games, so yes, the sub fee model is becoming the defacto model of the future. "traditional won't go away anytime soon", it is going away, faster than you think when you look at all the other industries adopting one model). 

You just made up a bunch of stuff and pretended that it will happen. The idea that people will go broke because of game streaming is ridiculous.  

DVDs, and even CDs are still available for just about all movies and music that exists. Streaming didnt end physical media there, and I see no reason to believe that it *necessarily* means the end of physical games. It's just another option for accessing games, which I see as nothing but positive. (And I say this as someone that has only ever purchased 5 digital games, over 38 years of gaming).

Around the Network

How many people out there with good internet and don't care about PC gaming, but watch youtube on their mobiles or TV like zombies 24/7? By one click in a link on YT you can enter a game in 5 seconds. Has a lot of potential to attract a lot of people that are outside the PC master race, and like to invest in a fast internet to watch shit streamed on their TVs, or people that like to play on their tablets and phones and watch games on YT. It will all depend on the cost, how Google will monetize it.

Last edited by CuCabeludo - on 20 March 2019

melbye said:
VAMatt said:
A lot of comments in this thread demonstrate that gamers are just scared of change.

Why would i want change when it works perfectly now?

LoL at this.  Works perfectly my ass.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
VAMatt said:

Never change a working system, as they say in IT departments

Personally, there are 4 things that I'm afraid of with streaming:

1. History. What happens to an MMO of it gets shut down? Nowadays that data is saved and conserved at some players. But that would be impossible to do if it only gets streamed, very possibly loosing a part a videogame history forever that way.

2. Modding: For similar reasons, mods are not possible. Pretty much disqualifies a lot of strategy games with this btw.

3. Pricing: You say there's no big investment in hardware needed, which is true... but I don't think you'd get a Netflix style streaming platform for peanuts. Unless you play a very lot and otherwise have to buy tons of games, the console pays for itself as it's cheaper over time.

4. Infrastructure: For the advertised 4K60, better have some 50Mbit connection without any hiccups or data caps (see below). To which only a minority even have real access to. Due to the amounts of data getting used by this, expect digging up roads to lay more and more cables to cover demand.

V-r0cK said: 
Not sure if this was discussed but you'll also need a min. of 25mbps to get 1080p at 60fps

https://ca.ign.com/articles/2019/03/20/google-stadia-recommends-a-25-megabit-internet-connection

Not sure if its a big deal to many of you here but I know many around me that don't go for high internet speeds, afterall Netflix is probably the biggest thing and that only needs 3mbps to stream HD.

Well, even worse then. With 4K being 4 times more information then Full HD, then 100Mbps is probably necessary. Very very few have even access to such speeds. The 1080p60 is already out of reach for quite a lot of people with this.

I'll use this post to talk about what i've thought about overnight.

Streaming is the future but _not_ the whole future.  There will still be physical games.  There will still be Steam, there will still be consoles/PCs, there will still be games that have modding.  Fallout 76 (whatever you think about that hot mess at release) has mods, even if they are quite limited.  Plenty of MMOs have modding.

Think of it like this.  A game like Skyrim, since its already pretty much on everything, including refrigerators.  Plenty of people play that game vanilla only.  So those people might go the streaming route.  Others like me will play on PC, modding the shit out of it.

Pricing will of course be all over the place.  Stadia i'm sure will eventually have multiple pricing models to compete will SONY, MS, Nintendo, Steam, etc.

And yeah, this is going to be a slow roll out.  At best I don't think this will see its final form for 5 to 10 years.  The infrastructure is really not there for 4k60 for way too many people, although I have to say frankly I won't be moving to 4K anything for quite some time.  I am not replacing any of my TVs for at least 5 years.  The required 25Mbps for 1080p/60fps is obtainable for more people than we think.  Those that want it in the more populated areas will be able to get it.  Again, this is not going to explode into success, it will have to slowly grow.

Stadia is only one part of a growing need for more internet infrastructure.  5 years ago I could _only_ get 40Mbps.  Now I can get double that if I want to pay the price.  I know many people hate the fact that the internet keeps getting more expensive for the same speeds, but that is just where we currently are these days with these companies and politicians.  Who's to say that won't change.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

VAMatt said:
Chazore said:

Scared?, why would we be "scared" of something we don't want encompassing our favorite hobby?.

You seem to think that if it's okay to you and that you welcome it, that everyone else must welcome it or be fear mongered/ridiculed into doing so. That's not smart and it just lends to sheeple mentality. You don't want to be called on making a bad decision, so you've whipped up the "no, it's you" kind of reasoning. 

The people that basically willingly go with this, precisely demonstrate that they care little for owning anything, and are more than happy to siphon their entire life savings to anything and everything, via a sub fee per week/month. imagine, turning everything into an endless funnel, where you're basically low on income per month, because everything is sub based, wouldn't that be amazing for everyone? (Don't go "no", because this is practically where we're headed via music, movies, tv and now games, so yes, the sub fee model is becoming the defacto model of the future. "traditional won't go away anytime soon", it is going away, faster than you think when you look at all the other industries adopting one model). 

You just made up a bunch of stuff and pretended that it will happen. The idea that people will go broke because of game streaming is ridiculous.  

Yeah, no, that's not a good counter argument. I'm not buying that for a second. Your original point wasn't a good counter either. 

You don't seem to grasp how overspending can happen, let alone everything following that model.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

If their model is:
for free, but with ads
If you pay, get rid of ads
Then is good.

Also, if it is so bad in general, it wont kill the dedicated hardware market. ( i think so if even it succeds, but if not, for sure)