By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Stadia is Everything Money Grubbing "AAA" Publishers Could Ever Ask For

TallSilhouette said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

How would the option of being able to stream a game give us more games? How would it give us more options? 

New genres, subgenres, mechanics, or franchises, for one. With so much processing power in the network, imagine what this could do for MMO's. I fully expect SGE to leverage all those data centers to create experiences that weren't possible before, thereby differentiating the service from its competitors. Ever wish for massive battlefields where each soldier is an individual player? That might be possible in the near future.

That's a good example. I'm not really a fan of MMOs or Looter Shooters, but I could see other possibilities along the same lines. 

LudicrousSpeed said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

The thing about TV, and movies is that we went from having to wait for a broadcast to just watching it whenever. We went from shows not being popular enough to put on cable, to shows finding their audiences through the internet, and services like crunchyroll. 

TV got better because internet distribution replaced timed broadcasts. Games already saw the benefits of that once digital distribution became big years ago. That's where all these great Indie games came from. 

How would the option of being able to stream a game give us more games? How would it give us more options? 

You still have to wait to watch TV shows. Instead of waiting for say.. an 8est broadcast, you’re waiting for whenever the network dumps the newest episode onto their streaming service or something like Hulu.

And streaming didn’t just give us shows “not popular enough for cable”. Netflix and Hulu have both designed their own amazing content for people to stream. CBS has entire shows exclusive to their streaming service. DD solves or replicates none of this. Digital distribution saves us from having to go to the store to buy a new game, or wait for it to ship to us. What streaming does is let you instantly play. 

The shows on Netflix and Hulu etc are popular because you can sit down and watch an entire series. You can watch one season of one series and switch to another season of something else, all with one subscription. Streaming games will allow you to play whatever they offer whenever you want. That’s nothing like digital, where you have to download it, and pay per title.

Also the extra options and games is pretty obvious. Google will have developers, Apple will to whenever they enter. Etc etc. More devs = more games.

I'm talking about having to wait and sit down at a specific time of day to watch a new episode. Now we can just log in and watch whenever. This ups viewership, and makes it more convenient. 

I never said that it was the only thing streaming did for us. Yes, it gave us exclusive shows like Stranger Things, but console competition already replicates that with console exclusives. Going to the store is typically a 10 minute affair. I don't see what's to save us from there. 

The whole "whatever they offer, whenever you want" is true, but very dependent on what is on offer as well as price. Sony and Nintendo won't be on board, so there goes roughly half the good games to play already. It'll just be a generic 3rd party AAA games platform like Xbox. I bought over 15 games last year, not including Indies. Only 4 of them were even buyable on Xbox. And yes, all of those games came out in 2018. I've never been afraid to spend money on games. The real fear has always been dumping 20 hours into a game, realizing its junk, and then giving up on it.

I think with a subscription service more games will trend towards Destiny, League, and Fortnite. The sort of games that aren't bad, but also aren't good. The sort of games that know exactly how to push your psychological buttons to keep you playing until the end of time. I spent a long, loooong, time with League. I was addicted, but didn't enjoy it. Just look at how popular Fortnite got by being free to play. It's overshadowed a lot of games in the news, simply because its a game that never ends. They keep coming out with seasons for the game, and game news sites just eat it up. And if most 3rd party games are available to play at any time, on Stadia, then I bet most developers will slowly trend towards the same design as the above mentioned games. 

More games isn't always a good thing. Look at how flooded Steam and the eShop is. I hate scrolling through a thousand junk games in the eShop to find the 1 gem out of a hundred Andriod/iOS ports. Quality is better than quantity. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 22 March 2019