By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Election: Democratic Party Discussion

Three winners: Sanders, Williamson, and Warren.
Best heel: Delaney

For the rest of them, most of them were fairly good. I have little substantive to say wrong (although Spacey seemed like he was trying to be a heel like he did on TV), but... none of them are going to win so let me have my fun:

I realize that this is kind of a low blow, but Beto and Buttigieg came off like the dorky white prep-school students on Fresh Prince of Bel Air. A couple of white Carltons who never quite answered questions directly but instead threw out whatever rehearsed talking point best matched.

It's kind of difficult to see Beto or Buttigieg as being very intelligent or having any kind of common sense whatsoever. I feel like they are the sort best suited to serving coffee to yuppies in a 1980s New York City investment firm's board room.

And Tim Ryan is one of their white professors

Steve Bullock... or should I say KEVIN... that weave can't fool me! Dusting off your acting skills for a new career path after playing a politician on TV for the last few years?

Amy Klobuchar and Hickenlooper didn't leave much impression on me.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 31 July 2019

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
Good grief.
She has no clue how websites like Google work.

Her initiative might be well-meaning, but I agree with you that it is misguided. Sadly, she is by far not the only one in that regard.

Jumpin said:

Three winners: Sanders, Williamson, and Warren.
Best heel: Delaney

For the rest of them, most of them were fairly good. I have little substantive to say wrong (although Spacey seemed like he was trying to be a heel like he did on TV), but... none of them are going to win so let me have my fun:

I realize that this is kind of a low blow, but Beto and Buttigieg came off like the dorky white prep-school students on Fresh Prince of Bel Air. A couple of white Carltons who never quite answered questions directly but instead threw out whatever rehearsed talking point best matched.

It's kind of difficult to see Beto or Buttigieg as being very intelligent or having any kind of common sense whatsoever. I feel like they are the sort best suited to serving coffee to yuppies in a 1980s New York City investment firm's board room.

And Tim Ryan is one of their white professors

Steve Bullock, Amy Klobuchar and Hickenlooper didn't leave much impression on me.

I would put all 6 there as the white prep students. Even Delaney, hence why he seemed to stop so often mid-track and didn't fully follow through - he has not rehearsed the second part of his attacks since he wasn't sure if they would land or not.

The "dark psychic forces" are sweeping the nation and tearing it apart. (That's right, I'm back! Anyway...)

I have to agree with those who've been saying that this was a better debate overall than either one that was hosted by MSNBC. I'm also glad that, despite this being hyped by CNN as a great battle between the two main progressive candidates, Warren and Sanders, neither of them took the bait and went after each other. Instead, this was functionally a debate between the two of them (and Marianne Williamson actually) on the one side and a bunch of forgettable wannabe-Bidens on the other who uniformly came off as phony on the other, and the progressives won the day. Easily. It was a landslide.

As people here may suspect, I was personally the most impressed with Elizabeth Warren. There was little to substantively differentiate her from Bernie Sanders in terms of policy positions, but I feel that she does a slightly better job of articulating policy details, while Bernie is more about general inspiration and to which end is just a tad more rhetorical and less specific about the details sometimes. They both did excellent though.

Marianne Williamson was the surprise of the evening (or actually night by the time it was finally over, jeez). I think she managed to rebound from the general aura of having no clue what the hell she was talking about in the last debate. She might, MIGHT even wind up qualifying for the September debate as a result of her performance last night, maybe. Maybe. But I thought she helped herself by clearly tying herself to the progressives on the stage and questioning exactly why the rest of them are Democrats (which is exactly how I often feel about the neoliberals, personally). But I thought she did the best when she raised the point that Flint, Michigan is actually just one community that lives with a poisoned water supply and that there are, in fact, lots and lots of communities with poisoned water supplies scattered all across the nation, despite the fact that Flint is the only one that makes the news. It was an excellent point! I have an aunt and cousin who currently live in one such community as a matter of fact, here in Texas, and, like she suggested, it's a predominantly non-white community (majority-Latino). The fact that issues like this are widespread is something I don't think many (particularly more middle class) Americans are aware of and I'm really glad she made that clear.

Anyway, tonight's debate will certainly be interesting as, in view of how Kamala Harris's now-famous takedown of Biden on the question of busing proved the biggest ratings-grabbing moment of the last debate round, just by pure coincidence ( ) it happens that all five of the candidates of color have been scheduled to debate Biden this time around, and furthermore have all been just accidentally located as close to him as possible on the stage for emphasis. I love how coincidental accidents like these just keep happening!

The candidates I'll be rooting for tonight will be Kirsten Gillibrand (please do well and break out!) and I suppose Kamala Harris. If the sense of authenticity that Biden conveys has been his strength that others in his lane of the party (the neoliberals) lack, then I think it's Harris who can give him the best run for his money in that same regard, as she did come off as quite passionate often in the last debate. She's also the only of the neoliberal candidates who is left enough for real consideration on my part anyway. Gillibrand, meanwhile, will be the lone true progressive on the stage, which I think might help her stand out more than having to compete for the limelight with Bernie Sanders did in the last debate round. Although I suspect she'll have to fight for air time.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 31 July 2019

SpokenTruth said:

Yep. My note on that below.

Warren and Klobuchar both wore a red overcoat and a black low cut undershirt.

And the guys all wore suits! What's up with these coincidences?!

Sassy and angry Bernie is best Bernie. Warren was basically the detail heavy counterbalance to Bernie's passion on the same issues. Williamson made some interesting points and I loved when she called out other democrats for taking corporate money. Beto and Pete were fine, not good or bad just fine. Then there were a bunch of dime a dozen corporate Dems that are thankfully loosing power and relevancy as the party shifts towards progressive politics

Around the Network

Another good debate night from Warren. I don't think anyone was particularly bad, though (except if you consider the smaller candidates need to do amazing to be noticed and thus failed).

Last night's debate was great, Warren did an amazing job and if it wasn't for her foreign policy I'd definitely vote for her instead of Bernie. Sanders was great as well. Williamson had brought up some really good points and after watching Dave Rubin's interview with her my impression of her has changed. She really does understand today's political landscape and knows the problems the people face, a good candidate for debate but maybe not for president. I love how it was populist progressives vs corporate moderates.

In tonight's debate I'll be looking forward to what Yang, Gabbard, and Gillibrand have to say and what they bring to the table. I favor them a lot more than the others on tonight.

Last edited by tsogud - on 31 July 2019

tsogud said:
Last night's debate was great, Warren did an amazing job and if it wasn't for her foreign policy I'd definitely vote for her instead of Bernie. Sanders was great as well. Williamson had brought up some really good points and after watching Dave Rubin's interview with her my impression of her has changed. She really does understand today's political landscape and knows the problems the people face, a good candidate for debate but maybe not for president. I love how it was populist progressives vs corporate moderates.

In tonight's debate I'll be looking forward to what Yang, Gabbard, and Gillibrand have to say and what they bring to the table. I favor them a lot more.

If you haven't seen it yet you might appreciate this video from the Creationist Cat:

I've watched it several times, something about it speaks to me or maybe I just like Rubin looking like an idiot. 

Torillian said:
tsogud said:

In tonight's debate I'll be looking forward to what Yang, Gabbard, and Gillibrand have to say and what they bring to the table. I favor them a lot more.

If you haven't seen it yet you might appreciate this video from the Creationist Cat:

I've watched it several times, something about it speaks to me or maybe I just like Rubin looking like an idiot. 

Lmao yeah that was great, I too like Rubin looking like an idiot. With all Williamson's high level important ideas his brain must still be in recovery mode. Poor Rubin, he only has so little room in there.

jason1637 said:
Debate livestream. https://www.cnn.com/specials/live-video-0

This link will work for tonights debate.