By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Election: Democratic Party Discussion

KLAMarine said:
jason1637 said:

He did not support integrated buses for black and white students. https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/05/05/joe-biden-busing-problem-226791

I see... What are his current views on the issue?

I'm pretty sure he supports bus integration now.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
KLAMarine said:

Excellent to hear!

Tulsi Gabbard's take on the Biden's civility remarks.
"Elizabeth Warren Kamala Harris — Joe Biden did not "celebrate" or “coddle” segregationists. His critics have unfairly misrepresented his important message to score cheap political points. I agree with Jim Clyburn and Joe Biden: in order for the Congress and the president to get things done for the American people, there needs to be civility in Washington and in the country — the ability to work with those who we disagree, even those who hold some views which we abhor. In order for Congress to work for the American people, we need to find common ground with each other. That is not possible without civility. We don’t need another president who is going to continue to divide our country. We need a president who will unite us. United we stand, divided we fall."
https://www.facebook.com/pg/TulsiGabbard/posts/

jason1637 said:
KLAMarine said:

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But you'd be wrong! The most recent statement I saw on the subject came from Biden campaign spokesman defending the view that busing was never the right solution to school segregation. (I mean technically that's probably true when you think about how the charter school movement has effectively resegregated our school landscape quite a lot since it began in the early '90s, but in the context of the warm relationship the former VP boasts of having enjoyed with these segregationist Senators...you haven't to ask yourself whether Biden has that maintained that view in good faith or not. I mean also note: he seems to be very much a supporter of the charter school movement for that matter.)

Jaicee said:
jason1637 said:

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But you'd be wrong! The most recent statement I saw on the subject came from Biden campaign spokesman defending the view that busing was never the right solution to school segregation. (I mean technically that's probably true when you think about how the charter school movement has effectively resegregated our school landscape quite a lot since it began in the early '90s, but in the context of the warm relationship the former VP boasts of having enjoyed with these segregationist Senators...you haven't to ask yourself whether Biden has that maintained that view in good faith or not. I mean also note: he seems to be very much a supporter of the charter school movement for that matter.)

Just because you have a warm relationship with someone doesn't mean you agree with them...

Around the Network

538 analyzes how the debates can shape the race by drawing conclusions from past election cycles: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-we-know-about-the-impact-of-primary-debates/

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Another highly interesting... well not article but collection of videos is a project of the New York Times. They asked every candidate they could get a hold of (Biden declined to participate) 18 question and everyone the same. Here is the link:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/us/politics/2020-candidate-interviews.html

Some notes: the interviews took place between March and June. So this explains differences in the answers about the state of the Mueller investigation.

Not all of these questions are good. What is your comfort food seems a question better used in a date than to interview a presidential candidate. But about half the questions are about politics and some more can be bend to answered in a political way (who is your hero for instance).

EDIT: some quotes that are personal highlights in my opinion…

In an ideal world, would anyone own handguns?

“Study after study shows that having a handgun, in most cases, makes you less safe, not more.” - John Hickenlooper

Would there be American troops in Afghanistan at the end of your first term?

“We have been there longer than some of our young people have been on this earth.” - Amy Klobuchar

“We have to change our foreign policy to stop this mirage that we can rebuild whole countries and cultures.” - Jay Inslee

Do you think illegal immigration is a major problem in the United States?

“The biggest crisis around immigration today is the inhumanity of this administration’s policies.” - Pete Buttigieg

Should tech giants like Facebook, Amazon and Google be broken up?

“You can be the umpire – that is, you can run the platform, the marketplace – or you can have a team in the game – that is, you can be one of the competing businesses. But you don’t get to do both.” - Elizabeth Warren

“The fact that Amazon made $10 billion of profits and didn’t pay any taxes last year, shows structural issues all together.” - Steve Bullock

Does anyone deserve to have a billion dollars?

“I don't think anyone deserve to have a billion dollars, there are some people are lucky to have a billion dollar.” - Michael Bennet

“We need a tax system, which demands that the wealthiest people in this country start paying their fair share. And I guess when we have that, that there aren't that many billionaires left.” - Bernie Sanders

And there are some interesting answers if oyu look at the group at a whole for some questions.

So the question: "Where would you go on your first international trip as president?". The most common answers were either 'our partners in europe' (maybe NATO) or 'our neighbors Canada/Mexico'. But some also wanted to go to crisis countries. A few answered central or south america. I think one answered Israel. Some hadn't thought about it or weren't willing to share.

Another interesting group of answers was "Do you support or oppose the death penalty?". There came a lot of oppose, even cut together with multiple candidates answered unison (although the interviews were conducted at different times) and at the Steve Bullock with Death penalty for some cases.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 24 June 2019

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

One thing that annoys me about the process is the polling. First, I never get asked and second, some polls only track people with landlines... which is like nearly no one. I cant think of a more inaccurate method... oh but I'm sure there is one lol.

Joe Sestak. You have to be fucking kidding me. This guy ran for Senate in 2016 in the primaries and lost, splitting the anti-establishment vote because he's supposedly a "maverick" but he's not all that impressive. He's the reason the Dems ended up nominating Katie McGinty for Senate and losing to Pat Toomey of all people, instead of running the awesome dude who would become the current Lt. Governor, John Fetterman. And all this after he'd already lost to Pat Toomey before in 2010. Joe should just go. I mean politically, he's not all that bad. Isn't afraid to criticize Israel, pretty good environmental record, pretty good record for women's rights, the NRA hates him, good record with unions, etc. but he's never really gone above and beyond with his positions, he's only a maverick because he didn't play nice with the establishment when they wanted to run a literal ex-Republican. Which I respect and all, but again, he split the anti-establishment vote in 2016 and gave us 6 more years of Pat Toomey, and at best all he'll accomplish is to be another candidate to split the anti-establishment vote in this election too and we'll end up with Biden as our nominee and Trump as our president. I mean I almost feel bad for the guy because he's not the worst politician to have representing you by any means, but there are so many better choices right now, and he wants to be the 25th fucking candidate right before the debates start? Come on, Joe...

CosmicSex said:
One thing that annoys me about the process is the polling. First, I never get asked and second, some polls only track people with landlines... which is like nearly no one. I cant think of a more inaccurate method... oh but I'm sure there is one lol.

Join YouGov and ask for the most surveys possible. You'll get polled. I get polled all the time now. Also you can earn points to redeem for gift cards and shit.