By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Election: Democratic Party Discussion

Moren said:
haxxiy said:

Of course, feel free to shout then that the estabilishment is keeping Sanders from using his magical wand, or that obscure corporate interests are sabotaging the presidency, all the way through a red wave in 2020 and someone like DeSantis coming for the presidential chair in 2022.

Fun fact about DeSantis:

We lost an easy-to-win, historically important (due to voting rights, 2020 redistricting) governor race in a blue wave year because Bernie chose to endorse a far-left candidate in Florida and the moderates split the vote during the primary.

Fun fact, you're wrong. Gillum lost because he coddled up to the two most hated figures in the democratic party. DWS and Hillary Clinton. Bernie gave him a push and then he started to parade around with these 2 snakes. Don't try that.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
uran10 said:

I think you're missing the point with Warren's fall. It was how she detailed her plan, but its because her plan sucks. I'm going to fight like hell for the public option then on year 3 for single payer? On top of that I'll add a regressive head tax into the equation. Sorry but no, you're having the entirely wrong takeaway from Warren's fall. M4A waffling then trying to answer the how do we pay for it with a terrible plan started it, then going after the most trustworthy candidate on a he said she said finished it. Especially since she's a known liar, she dug her own grave and really quickly too.

On the other hand, Bernie's M4A is straight forward, CHEAPER than our current system and he's already told us a million times how he'd pay for it so anyone trying to say "it'll bankrupt the country" either hasn't been listening or is a propagandist for the health industry.

People aren't looking for empty promises. They're looking to change the system that doesn't work for them. Trump ran as a populist and said he would do just that (drain the swamp). He didn't. He's become a swamp monster but if you put him up against another swamp monster, especially one with the record of Joe he'll win, with ease with the exact same strat. He's said it himself numerous times, hell he even admits in a secret recording that he's afraid of Bernie.

Anyway I've drifted off topic a bit. Bloomberg and Steyer are billionaires with essentially unlimited money to sink into ads. People are seeing those ads and are going "maybe one of them". They're essentially trying to buy the elections, that's how they're rising. Either way, empty promises isn't the way and unfortunately for americans, we've got a mainstream(corporate) media that just feeds us propaganda non stop and thankfully people are starting to see through it but not fast enough.

Politics are the art of compromise. Sanders shows time and time again how fantastically poor his judgement is when it comes to the people around him, and the people he endorses or is endorsed by. He's worse than Trump in this regard, because at least Trump knew how to appease evangelicans and the republican base when it came to choose a vice-president, and I don't see Sanders ever doing the same.

Now combine that lack of goodwill with the political reality of dozens if not hundreds of elected officials in purple or light blue states, including senators like Brown, Manchin, Sinema etc Essentially nothing you believe it's going to happen will ever get through Congress. Warren at least had a plan to present something palatable to most interests involved, perhaps enough to get a vote through.

Of course, feel free to shout then that the estabilishment is keeping Sanders from using his magical wand, or that obscure corporate interests are sabotaging the presidency, all the way through a red wave in 2020 and someone like DeSantis coming for the presidential chair in 2022.

Bernie's poor Judgement? He makes some dumb decisions now and again but his record is the complete opposite of bad judgement so I don't know where you're getting that from. Bernie Endorsing Cenk was not a mistake, his mistake was walking it back when Cenk asked him to walk it back. That showed weakness IMO but that's not poor Judgement. Getting endorsed by Joe Rogan isn't a bad thing either but I'm guessing you didnt' see his talk with Bernie and the comment section or his sub reddit after the endorsement did you? He's bringing in more independents than any other candidate in the race, you know the group that actually DECIDES THE ELECTIONS?

And nothing I believe will make it through congress because of DINOs(Democrats in Name only) right? Let me point you to Bernie's Mayor ship in Vermont. They did exactly what you stated and blocked everything he went to do, then he responded with the exact strategy he's said he's gonna do when he's president. Its simple, I'm the president, I'm popular, I have policies that everyone supports. You get behind me, or I will hold rallies in your state and primary you. Joe Machin isn't well liked in his own state, and Bernie won all of West Virgina. Every single County. If you think the public isn't behind Bernie and his ideas and wont jump up against whoever Dino or Republican try to block you're not paying attention to the movement. They'll have a choice. They're big donors or getting re-elected.

Warren was just "a player in the game" she wouldn't have rallied against or tried to whip Manchin into voting for anything she's proposing and he would have sat down and voted against just like when he told Schumer he can't make him do shit.

ALSO ONE OTHER BIG THING THAT YOU'RE IGNORING. Voter turnout. If you have an excited base, you get a high turn out. When you get a high turn out, Dems win. More people voted in the WV Primaries than the general election ffs. The only way you'll see a red wave in 2020 is if Biden, Warren or Pete win. They would depress the hell out of the dem voter base, but please go on about the guy with the most donors, most volunteers and the guy whose literally the most beloved senator and candidate in the race not being able to bring voters to the booth. Please go on.

uran10 said:
haxxiy said:

Politics are the art of compromise. Sanders shows time and time again how fantastically poor his judgement is when it comes to the people around him, and the people he endorses or is endorsed by. He's worse than Trump in this regard, because at least Trump knew how to appease evangelicans and the republican base when it came to choose a vice-president, and I don't see Sanders ever doing the same.

Now combine that lack of goodwill with the political reality of dozens if not hundreds of elected officials in purple or light blue states, including senators like Brown, Manchin, Sinema etc Essentially nothing you believe it's going to happen will ever get through Congress. Warren at least had a plan to present something palatable to most interests involved, perhaps enough to get a vote through.

Bernie's poor Judgement? He makes some dumb decisions now and again but his record is the complete opposite of bad judgement so I don't know where you're getting that from. Bernie Endorsing Cenk was not a mistake, his mistake was walking it back when Cenk asked him to walk it back. That showed weakness IMO but that's not poor Judgement. Getting endorsed by Joe Rogan isn't a bad thing either but I'm guessing you didnt' see his talk with Bernie and the comment section or his sub reddit after the endorsement did you? He's bringing in more independents than any other candidate in the race, you know the group that actually DECIDES THE ELECTIONS?

And nothing I believe will make it through congress because of DINOs(Democrats in Name only) right? Let me point you to Bernie's Mayor ship in Vermont. They did exactly what you stated and blocked everything he went to do, then he responded with the exact strategy he's said he's gonna do when he's president. Its simple, I'm the president, I'm popular, I have policies that everyone supports. You get behind me, or I will hold rallies in your state and primary you. Joe Machin isn't well liked in his own state, and Bernie won all of West Virgina. Every single County. If you think the public isn't behind Bernie and his ideas and wont jump up against whoever Dino or Republican try to block you're not paying attention to the movement. They'll have a choice. They're big donors or getting re-elected.

Warren was just "a player in the game" she wouldn't have rallied against or tried to whip Manchin into voting for anything she's proposing and he would have sat down and voted against just like when he told Schumer he can't make him do shit.

ALSO ONE OTHER BIG THING THAT YOU'RE IGNORING. Voter turnout. If you have an excited base, you get a high turn out. When you get a high turn out, Dems win. More people voted in the WV Primaries than the general election ffs. The only way you'll see a red wave in 2020 is if Biden, Warren or Pete win. They would depress the hell out of the dem voter base, but please go on about the guy with the most donors, most volunteers and the guy whose literally the most beloved senator and candidate in the race not being able to bring voters to the booth. Please go on.

Which WV primary? Is that a lie? I can't find a single one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_West_Virginia_Democratic_primary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_presidential_election_in_West_Virginia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_United_States_Senate_election_in_West_Virginia

Plus, Joe Manchin being unpopular is literally a lie. And this is coming from an overwhelmingly Republican state, too. 

If Bernie's strategy for passing legislation is "Primary Joe Manchin" then don't expect much results, other than losing the House in 2022.

If we lived in an alternate universe where things could be taken back, I really, really wish Bernie would primary Sinema, Tester and Manchin.

Last edited by Moren - on 26 January 2020

SpokenTruth said:
Moren said:

Which WV primary? Is that a lie? I can't find a single one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_West_Virginia_Democratic_primary.

You might want to read your first link.

I forgot to highlight this:

"More people voted in the WV Primaries than the general election ffs."

Moren said:
SpokenTruth said:

Dem Primary than for the general election candidate* Either way my point remains. Popular Ideas bring People to the polls along with candidates pushing populist messages because that's what the people want. You want to win, you need a high voter turn out not the opposite. Do you think Joe can Motivate people to come out and vote for him because trump is evil? Let me tell you, the answer is no regardless of what you think. They tried the same strat in 2016 with hillary, it failed. It will also fail with Biden.

The Bottom line to everything I stated is a fact: Dems win when voters turn out. You know Obama? He ran as a POPULIST, A PROGRESSIVE! He did that in booth 2008 and 2012, and even though it was a lie and he governed as corporate centrist hack he won but how about those under him after his wonderful progressive message got him a super majority. He walked it back and lost 1k seats. Now let's turn to the other "moderates" You guys keep saying can win. Al gore - lost. Hillary Clinton - Lost. John Kerry- Lost.

The only centrist who won the presidency was the one who campaigned as a progressive and motivated the base to come out. Every other "corporate centrist" has lost. Bernie has proven that he also can get things passed through a republican congress JUST LAST YEAR! HE'S KNOWN AS THE AMENDMENT KING FOR A REASON! If you think he can't get his policies through congress with his strategy you clearly haven't seen it at work in his home state. Go look at the record its right there for you to see.

Honestly, This idea that moderates win is literally debunked by Obama's Years and win AND THE FACT THAT THE LAST 3 CORPORATE CENTRIST THAN RAN ON THAT STRAT LOST! Anyway I'm done for now. I'll be back After Bernie wins Iowa And NH

Last edited by uran10 - on 26 January 2020

Around the Network
uran10 said:
Moren said:

Dem Primary than for the general election candidate* Either way my point remains

Your point literally doesn't remain because if you add all the primary votes, it still doesn't reach anywhere near what Trump achieved.

Moren said:
uran10 said:

Dem Primary than for the general election candidate* Either way my point remains

Your point literally doesn't remain because if you add all the primary votes, it still doesn't reach anywhere near what Trump achieved.

My point is that she got less than what came out to vote in the primary for the general. My point is that centrism doesn't excite people to come out while populism does. I'm also gonna drop this little factoid for you real quick. Trump ran as a fake populist.

Last edited by uran10 - on 26 January 2020

uran10 said:
Moren said:

My point is that she got less than what came out to vote in the primary for the general. My point is that centrism doesn't excite people to come out while populism does. I'm also gonna drop this little factoid for you real quick. Trump ran as a fake populist.

Democrats won the House in 2018 because a lot of suburban white voters were fed up with Trump's populism and rhetoric.

Anyway, I love how you deflected my main point - in which I questioned Bernie's strategy to pass his legislation hinging in primarying Democrats like Joe Manchin. Sure, that may be achievable in the Northeast with a couple Senators. In West Virginia, it will only achieve having a far-right Republican who'd vote for McConnell as majority leader.

Moren said:
SpokenTruth said:

In the democratic primaries 242,539 voted. In the general election Hillary Clinton got 188,794 votes in WV. In contrast, in the republican primary voted 204,061 people, but in the general election Trump got 489,371 votes. So yes, turnout dropped in the general for democrats. Dunno if uran meant this.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Moren said:
uran10 said:

Democrats won the House in 2018 because a lot of suburban white voters were fed up with Trump's populism and rhetoric.

Anyway, I love how you deflected my main point - in which I questioned Bernie's strategy to pass his legislation hinging in primarying Democrats like Joe Manchin. Sure, that may be achievable in the Northeast with a couple Senators. In West Virginia, it will only achieve having a far-right Republican who'd vote for McConnell as majority leader.

Sanders already got an impressive record of actually getting legislation through the senate. But besides that: many people believed that establishment republicans would block Trump and he never would get anything passed. But in reality they all fell in line. Similar things will happen with Sanders. Also it is quite funny, how the people who don't want to get progressive legislation passed (the centrist democrats) are the one saying Sanders will not get anything passed. Well, you get probably more passed if you actually try. We can be sure with Biden not many things will get better, as he actually says he doesn't want to change things. You can't fail with your legislation in congress if you don't even put legislation into congress.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]