By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - RUMOR: Sony in discussions to aquire Take-Two Interactive

As much as I want this to happen, I don't see it happening unless Sony is planning to release those games as multiplats. Anyway, this looks fake to me.

Around the Network

Just seems like it would take way too long to see a return on this big of an investment. Especially when flagship titles like GTA and RDR are like 8 years between installments.

Mar1217 said:
Xxain said:

Share your research please.

Here it is : 

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-13-about-those-rumors-sony-is-buying-take-two

When we reached out for details, Kulina said he was confused at the sudden attention.

"This is purely unconfirmed market speculation that is making the rounds," he said. "I am not the source of this story in any regard. And not sure who quoted me as I didn't speak with anyone over the phone (unless someone saw a trading note that I wrote)."

Nuff said, we can all go back to reality.

Microsoft started this, I suppose, by going on a buying studio frenzy. If true this makes sense, though as a Nintendo fan more and more of these purchases hurts me. I used to define console wars as battle of who makes the most and best exclusives, but now I'm starting to think this next one is going to be about who bought the most and best exclusives. It will also be interesting to see if Google buys someone big. Rumors are going that Sega is lining up with Google. By next gen, there may not be hardly any 3rd party studious left.

Activision/Blizzard are bleeding.
EA is bleeding.
Arenanet is bleeding.
NCsoft is no where near where they were.
Bundie is independent, but with an IP that underperforms supposedly.
Thankfully Ubisoft has been better the past few years with Origins, Odyssey, and Mario Rabbids.

The future for multiplatforms doesn't look good.

That's one of my wish, but reality is a hurt so i guess this will just end up as rumor . But i just hope Sony just buy FromSoftware, Platinum Games, Kojima Production, Blue Point, and Insomniac, i will be a happy person.

Around the Network
melbye said:

That includes Rockstar, right? Damn this is huge if true. Rumored big deals like this always make me skeptical of it's validity

Yes. Take 2 is basically the holding company, which is why you never see its names on games. It owns Rockstar and 2K Games, so it would be those games from those publishers Sony would get control of.

There doesn't seem to be a source for the rumor. If anything, it looks like the stock was already climbing before the rumor was leaked to the public.

Well seeing as my thread got closed I will post my general thoughts here.

Reasons Why this could be True....

1. FACT: The competition is about to get stiff with Google entering the ring. Google will be unveiling it's hardware/ethos for gaming on March 19th. This could really be a big game changer. Rumors say it will be a streaming device. This is all but assured, It falls perfectly in line as to why MS is in such a big rush to get xCloud up and running to compete. I think both Sony and MS are worried about potentially huge industry shake ups by new competitors and changing landscapes. For instance a real game changer for gaming with Google could be due to the small fact THEY ACTUALLY HAVE THEIR OWN WW INTERNET SERVICE!!!! Just speculation, but imagine wireless gaming anywhere and not needing to go through any ISP?

2. Rumor of MS trying to buy EA. Which, if we really get into these rumors they start from something. While lies have stirred the stock market before it usually has to come from one or two believable points. I think MS is/was looking into acquiring EA. It is also now rumored that Google is also looking for big developer purchases, which makes sense for a financial titan like them to try and move serious weight when breaking into a new industry.

3.Sony does have the money. The main questions I keep seeing posed is continued operations cost after an acquisition but I think they are mostly failing to see Sony would be inching back from the debt instantly once they bump from 30% share of GTAV/NBA microtransactions up to 100%. Like think about it. Sony has had the lion share of all these big titles. 2:1 ratio with xbox one, sometimes larger. Sony was getting their cut from GTA Shark Cards, Fortnite VBucks, etc etc. Whatever Take Two was selling, a good portion was already going to Sony. Yet it can't be disputed that Microsoft as a company has far more than them. That is a question of would you rather be run by MS or Sony as a game studio? Sure MS pockets are deep but their management in gaming is very unproven, shakey even.

4. Take Two and Sony have always had a good working relationship. I mean really, TT largest success was always on Playstation hardware. The two of them together could really make something beautiful. Several times it was a Sony exclusive IP put against one of Rockstar's finest.

5. AGENT, the comeback. The mystery fabled game that Sony apparently PAID TT/Rockstar for that never came to fruition. They were under some contract or another to make GTAIV exclusive.....that contract was allowed to be broken under the idea of future compensation in the game AGENT......which never happened. This could be one of the key reasons as to why such a large buy could be feasible. Maybe TT is still on the hook financially as well as legally for failing to reprise this game. The two companies good standing keeps it from getting ugly but it could definitely be a deciding factor. The game was supposed to be something valued at equal to a GTA title and exclusive, especially now.......that would be something worth billions. Of course if Sony owns Rockstar and GTA it becomes water under the bridge.

6. For Rockstar alone.....it would be worth every penny.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

I dont believe this not even for a single second.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

I dont believe this for a second.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi