By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - RUMOR: Sony in discussions to aquire Take-Two Interactive

I can only imagine the censorship that would be imposed to Read Dead and Grand Theft Auto. Truly immersion-breaking.

Around the Network
Manlytears said:
Do you guys think that games like GTA would lose a lot of sales if they were exclusive to PlayStation? I have my doubts...
Sincerely, considering the dominant position of the playstation and the gigantic popularity of GTA, I sincerely think that the number of copies of the game would not suffer much impact. I mean, something like 66% already
play GTA on ps4 and most of the remaining 33% would simply buy a playstation to play ...
I believe that GTA playstation exclusive would have sales level lower but still close to "GTA" multiplat, at least 85%, and playstation/PC GTA can sell over 90% of "normal sales".

Agreed. It would barely suffer. Most gta xbox owners would get it on PlayStation instead and Sony can always release it on PC 2 years later. Or better yet, offer it via ps now on pc. 

HollyGamer said:
That's one of my wish, but reality is a hurt so i guess this will just end up as rumor . But i just hope Sony just buy FromSoftware, Platinum Games, Kojima Production, Blue Point, and Insomniac, i will be a happy person.

You need Platinum Games agreement first, and they clearly like working with Nintendo more than Sony since all their games for Sony are just multi-plat while for Nintendo are exclusives only outside the first Bayonetta

forevercloud3000 said:
thismeintiel said:

This isn't so much about how much Take Two is currently making, but as a publicly traded company, how much investors value it. Just a few months ago, shares were $138. Just a few days ago they were $87, even with a good Q4 result. If the board thinks they can make a lot of money with Sony purchasing the company for $130 a share, they may go for it.

It's also important to note that not too long ago, 2015 and 2016, T2 actually posted net losses for the year. It may also be about making sure the company is more stable in stormy conditions under the market leader's large umbrella. If it happens to be true, of course.

Thanks for the info. Didn't know about the posted losses.

I think what many seeing this rumor are forgetting is the idea of TT's stock doubling from it. The increase happened before the rumors hit the net, Shareholders are privy to info we usually don't know which makes me think they have/had reason to believe it to be true. I really don't think these people shift their money just on any rumor, just the ones that have the assumption of clout. The counteraction articles  are strange because they only seem to address that "Oh Sony never said TT, we just know they are looking to buy someone".....I don't hear any rumors of any other Studios Shares moving like that....I'm just saying.

It is interesting that the shares started going up before any reporting was done on it.  Market Watch was just trying to find a reason in the rise and the guy from Wedbush is the one who said that what he has been hearing market chatter that Sony is trying to buy them.  Of course, TT gave the "we do not comment on rumors" and did not outright deny it.  Sony hasn't said anything, yet, when asked about it.  We'll just have to wait and see.

Kerotan said:
Manlytears said:
Do you guys think that games like GTA would lose a lot of sales if they were exclusive to PlayStation? I have my doubts...
Sincerely, considering the dominant position of the playstation and the gigantic popularity of GTA, I sincerely think that the number of copies of the game would not suffer much impact. I mean, something like 66% already
play GTA on ps4 and most of the remaining 33% would simply buy a playstation to play ...
I believe that GTA playstation exclusive would have sales level lower but still close to "GTA" multiplat, at least 85%, and playstation/PC GTA can sell over 90% of "normal sales".

Agreed. It would barely suffer. Most gta xbox owners would get it on PlayStation instead and Sony can always release it on PC 2 years later. Or better yet, offer it via ps now on pc. 

That would be a great way to handle that.  Though, I think it would probably be best to offer it on Now and Steam 6-12 months after the PS5 version launched.

Probably won’t be take two but Sony is probably considering an acquisition or two heading into next gen. Probably will be a small team too, can’t see Sony spending billions on a new studio purchase.

Around the Network
StarDoor said:
Take-Two's market cap is over 10 billion dollars. How could Sony even afford this?

Sony made a profit or $4-5billion last year,why couldn't they afford this?

morenoingrato said:

I can only imagine the censorship that would be imposed to Read Dead and Grand Theft Auto. Truly immersion-breaking.

What is this censorship angle I keep hearing? Sony puts out a bevy of mature content. What would be censored?

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

cycycychris said:
Sony would be buying them for like $14 billion, Sony's Marketcap is about $60 billion. I just don't see Sony having that much cash to offer and on top of that, would take 2 really add that much value to Sony. Yes it would be cool to get 100% of that GTA money, but they'd need much more output.

Sounds like an idea a board member threw out to Sony that then got exaggerated by a investor to try and raise the value of Take 2 to sell while its high.

They also have assets of $170billion

Sony's market cap doesn't have much relation to how much cash they can spend.

lightningfunk said:
StarDoor said:
Take-Two's market cap is over 10 billion dollars. How could Sony even afford this?

They also have ~$24B cash on hand.  According to the rumors, the deal would mainly be a cash deal.  I'm guessing shares may be used to pay the rest.

Mar1217 said:
With the cash and record sales T2 has been on since the release of GTA V and now RDR 2, it wouldn't be worth it for their high executives to suddenly sell out for another corporation such as Sony. + does Sony have billions in capitals to blowout on a publisher like them ? I doubt it.
I just don't see it.

Sony made a profit or $4-5billion last year

according to the article,they need $14billion to buy Take-Two,they can easily afford it