By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales week 10 March 4-10 2019 (media create)

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Nate4Drake said:

Because it's basicly a portable, and Japan mostly buy portable; it's a "life style", and a different culture.   It doesn't matter Switch has no new games, they would buy it anyway.  

What surprise me is people who still get surprised about it :D

Oh lord, here we go again. Any way to marginalize Switch dominating Japan I guess...

Read above...I was too quick on 1st post and didn't elaborate, my bad.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network
forest-spirit said:
Media Create no longer providing weekly data would blow big time.

Seriously. Some of the saddest news. I look forward to Wednesday in large part because of it.

Switch and PS4 HW both did pretty well. DMC5 did ok, was super concerned it wasn't going to even do 100k FW after a real slow start to preorders.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Nate4Drake said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Just like when vita sold more than ps4, right?

A portable from Nintendo sells better than Home Consoles in Japan, regerdless of new games;  PS4 is feeding their gamers much more week by week since Jan, but Switch keep selling 3 times better with no new games = A PORTABLE from Nintendo sells better regardless of games.   I think it's cultural, and life style, and also Switch looks like a very sexy and colourful hardware to buy, like a new trend.   Sure it's not the deep and crowded game experience.  

So now you move from portable to Nintendo portable? OK

HoangNhatAnh said:
Nate4Drake said:

A portable from Nintendo sells better than Home Consoles in Japan, regerdless of new games;  PS4 is feeding their gamers much more week by week since Jan, but Switch keep selling 3 times better with no new games = A PORTABLE from Nintendo sells better regardless of games.   I think it's cultural, and life style, and also Switch looks like a very sexy and colourful hardware to buy, like a new trend.   Sure it's not the deep and crowded game experience.  

Well, not only.

""zorg1000 said:

I think this is the reason

October-Super Mario Party (over 1 million)

November-Pokemon Let's Go (over 1.5 million)

December-Super Smash Bros Ultimate (almost 3 million

January-New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (500k)

The combination of these 4 big titles in a 4 month period has created strong momentum.""

Yep.  these 4 games've created momentum, guaranteed, but can it be the only reason?  I think this Switch became the cool thing to buy in Japan, and NA as well, for a combination of reasons, and one could be its Social System, no need to elaborate about this; it is also very smart and cool if you have kids.  The Switch is also yet another Nintendo system that looks and feels like a toy, and I mean that in a positive way!

Parents feel safe letting younger kids to play with the Switch, and the biggest and best games appeal to just every demographic, built in easier modes so that kids and parents can play together and have fun, from the co-op mode of Super Mario Odyssey to the racing available in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.  This kind of trend and feelings is spreading more and more as time passes, this could play a fundamental part in the YOY peak.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Mnementh said: 
nero said:

year at the same week SW was at 39500 and PS4 at 34775. 

Thanks for your work. The baseline-calculation was so high for PS4 this time last year? So the baseline might go down over the summer even more?

Indeed. Comparing the first 9 weeks of 2018 we have

W NS PS4
1 146006 91683
2 37500 43808
3 43027 52507
4 47107 140145
5 49165 109287
6 43404 71306
7 39303 49502
8 39696 34775
9 45083 26569

The switch had a general media of 43404. Now, considering values lower that the media are the red ones making the baseline at 39500. For the Ps4 the media was 52507 (higher than NSW). Taking in consideration again the red ones we have a baseline of 34775. Week 4 and 5 really helped the PS4 mantain its baseline. And answer the other question it may probably drop sub 18k but it would not be by that much. The double comparing from last week might help it a bit.

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
pikashoe said:
Why is the switch doing so well without big releases. Imagine what it'll be like when the heavy hitters start coming out this year.

Because their are a multiple physical games that sell but don't make it always in the charts + digital games. 

True. Switch owners have been more supportive to third party games and Indie games more than the 3DS and Wii U. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Oh wow the way Zelda BotW sales increased.
At least DMC5 did more than 100k, the number is similar to what DmC did but waaaay lower than DMC4.
Switch sales continue being amazing.
Didn't know PS4 had some kind of deal.
KH3 starting to free fall (not surprisingly), I wonder how close it is to 1 million sales including digital.

zorg1000 said:
Nate4Drake said:

Yep; the 50% increase is a lot; games is not the reason, there is nothing new to play, but the old games can be enough reason to buy a Switch, this for sure; still the peak is odd unless Switch really became a cool trend even more year after year.   I can't find another reason.

I think this is the reason

October-Super Mario Party (over 1 million)

November-Pokemon Let's Go (over 1.5 million)

December-Super Smash Bros Ultimate (almost 3 million

January-New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (500k)

The combination of these 4 big titles in a 4 month period has created strong momentum.

Pretty much how it always is. Big games lead to consistently strong weeks of sales.

The Vita never had a big game, but it still sold consistently low.

The PS4 had some big games,  so it has passed the Vita.

The Wii had a lot of big games and then fell flat, but even with that it likely means Wii > PS4 in Japan.

The Switch consistently has big games, so it easily surpasses PS4 soon, and will beat the Wii too.

Nate4Drake said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Well, not only.

Not only Nintendo? So vita must sold amazingly and make ps4 sales look like nothing compared to it, right?

Jranation said:
Nate4Drake said:

Because it's basicly a portable, and Japan mostly buy portable; it's a "life style", and a different culture.   It doesn't matter Switch has no new games, they would buy it anyway.  

What surprise me is people who still get surprised about it :D

But PS4 beats the Vita.... 

VITA is dead, as in no more are being produced

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also