By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which JRPG has the worst plot in your opinion?

Blazing Souls!!!

Around the Network

Bravely default is probably the winner of this one. Pretty much every single line of dialogue and plot thread annoyed me. One of the worst games I have ever played.

Ni no kuni is also up there. As is white knight chronicles.

I suppose any Pokemon game, but they aren't really designed with any kind of deep plot in mind. Star Ocean 4 comes to mind, although a lot of that was down to the horrendous characters ruining whatever good elements the story had. FF 13 is another candidate, although there it was more bad storytelling than a bad plot. Underneath the copious amounts of convoluted terminology and poor design choices there was an actual interesting story and lore, but it was buried in the games encyclopedia. There were a lot of interesting things happening, but FF 13 just did an awful job at telling the player about those things.

ARamdomGamer said:

Oh boy.

Dawn of the New World.

By itself is a really generic, unsatisfying story, with very badly paced character development, for some not at all, really lack of anything worth nothing RPG story.

But...

Is also a spin off/sequel to not only a Tales of game, but one to Symphonia, a title with a rich world, story and character development.

My biggest problem with this game truly, is that is a pretty bad Tales of story, is not a game worthy of that name, character interactions are there, but most are uninteresting, the Symphonia 1 cast gets zero extra development and they completely went against some of Lloyd's ideals that made him the character he was in the first game.

Added non sensical elements like the centurions and Ratatosk to the world of Phantasia/Symphonia, they don't add anything that wasn't there already, just an excuse to go on an adventure and in cases, contradictory.

And the new characters don't help, Emile is a poorly done Luke and Marta gets 0 development, annoying to no end protagonists and Richter was also nothing noteworthy. Complete waste of time.

A game that just trashes the legacy of one of my favorite RPGs. Badly done fanfiction the game.

Agreed. Also you also left out how everyone besides one main character basically believes Lloyd is responsible for opening cutscene, like talk about slap to the face. Ya lets believe this annoying kid over our friend.  

Last edited by Acevil - on 06 March 2019

What JRPG doesn't have a terrible plot...

Around the Network

FFXIII has the worst story, and it is probably one of the worst J RPGS out there.

Hiku said:

Pokemon comes to mind.

- Single parent approves of child's idea to drop out of school and travel the country/world alone with their pet.
And since the child in question has a tendency to speak with every adult stranger they meet, whether it is in a dank cave or forest, what could possibly go wrong?

But that's because you're comparing their world to ours.  It seems ridiculous to us because we live in such a fucked up world.  But since everyone is so damn nice in Pokemon's world, guns and drugs don't seem to exist, even their "gangs" are pretty tame (all they do is steal people's Pokemon), it's easy to see why they have that tradition.

It's hard to imagine, but if we lived in a world of peace like that, I can see a lot of parents letting their kids leave home at 10.

Plus... you know... they're accompanied by a power-ass monster with supernatural powers who wants only to protect them and obeys their every command, there's that too...

FF7

The whole story is about an emo lonely guy who pretends to be someone else, fighting another emo lonely mamma's boy.

A better topic would be - "Name a JRPG with a good plot."

Or, maybe that topic would suck, since there are so few possibilities.

irstupid said:
FF7

The whole story is about an emo lonely guy who pretends to be someone else, fighting another emo lonely mamma's boy.

Nah FFVII has the 2nd greatest tale in a JRPG ever. No other game has inspired so many Fan Fics since the 90s. The first? Xenogears...