By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which JRPG has the worst plot in your opinion?

JamesGarret said:

Of all the JRPGs you´ve played, which one has the worst plot/story?

Grandia Xtreme

Around the Network

Dragon Quest 1 has the most generic story, but since it was the first JRPG, then maybe it gets a pass.

Lightning Returns was a fun game with a "WTF, not sure what is going on in this story."  You can kind of say that about every Kingdom Hearts after the first one too.

Xenoblade Chronicles had the most disappointing conclusion.  I got really invested in the story and characters and then during the last 1/3 of the game, the story just became this giant turd.

Landale_Star said:
Maybe Dragon Quest 1 since it barely has a plot. Most jrpg plots are kind of stupid so it's hard to pick, and this is coming from a big fan of the genre. Tales of the Abyss was pretty awful. I thought Grandia's story was bad, Lunar Genesis literally bored me to sleep, Omega Quintet is the most stupid shit I've ever played but what do I expect from a jrpg/idol game?

I actually like all those games listed above, it's just that the plots, like most jrpgs are pretty bad.

Well, then you could count almost any RPG before the 90s (Ultima/Wizardry/Bard's Tale/Wasteland/Might& Magic notwithstanding), since they didn't have enough memory to implement anything resembling a coherent plot, and what plot they had mostly was just in the manual.

From everything I've heard about it Kingdom Hearts easily takes the cake.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Octopath. That's the top 8 worst plots in a JRPG.

Around the Network

The Last Remnant.

FF13 for being boring
Kingdom Hearts for being convoluted (it's basically cool looking scenarios tied together with some vague story to make it work, if it doesn't work, timetravel)

Kingdom Hearts for the overall plot, it was simple at first. Not played 3 yet, will later in the year so I know how stupid it's gotten.

Out of the FFs, FF13, as many have mentioned before. Overly complicated with weird words thrown at you with no explanation, characters coming in, having 2 scenes but apparently important to the plot then fighting them like they mattered... was weird.

Star Ocean 4 and 5, with 4 it was more the acting was so bad it put me off, with 5 it was just dull. 3 was good however.

Resonance of Fate - Did this have a plot? i played a fair amount of hours in the overly long dungeons and never knew what the plot was.

Hmm, pie.

super_etecoon said:
i didn't play FF XV, but the trailer of 4 dudes riding in a sportscar is pretty laughable and I just can't imagine that it was very good. It gets my vote unless someone can defend that atrocious concept.

I played it (switch version), but I would also list FF15 as a JRPG with a bad plot. The story starts okay, but after the first half it becomes worse with every chapter. To ultimately end with a totally unsatisfying ending.

John2290 said:
I dislike everything about Persona 5's plot and how it unfolds ans is set up to comply with the school system and to gamify it. It's such a bad set up and a horrible idea but like most JRPG's once you turn your brain off and ignore the nonsense, it works... my some miracle.

Persona 5's issues are not related to the school system. 

Persona 4 Golden is one of my favorite games ever. I played it 2 hours, put it down for 3 months because the beginning is awful, and then binge played it in 4-5 days.

I was almost dreaming about Persona 5, and it seemed like they fixed the issues of P4G so it should have been a contender for my favorite game ever. But actually, I still didn't finish it (I'm in the last part, just before the true last boss), even after 2 years. Why? Because sure, they fixed almost all the flaws of P4G.

But the story sucks. And it was the main strength of P4G. The game was flawed, sure, but the story and characters were great and made the player want to continue. That's also why they managed to do like 5 spin off of different genres with the same cast. 

But P5 story? Instead of the relaxed, friendly and kinda relatable group of friends fighting a close and personal menace in P4 (you feel like a part of the group and root for them), we got a group of stereotypical one dimensional exceptional high schoolers with no team feeling at all, unrelatable and boring, involved in a shady and far away political scandal that no one cares about. *yawn* No interest. Even the scenes were it seems like characters might seriously die, the biggest reaction I got was "Oh, well, too bad". Can't care less about them. Even the characters of P3, that I played years ago and didn't even finish (the  dungeon was a bore, and I got the ending spoiled) brought more memories and feelings.

That's why I still didn't finish P5. I play a few days, then I put it down for a random reason, and then I just don't feel the need or will to play it again, because I don't care what will happen. Even though the gameplay, the OST, the graphics, everything else is a dream come true, the story and characters are a bore. I hope they'll fix that for P6.

Otherwise? Fire Emblem Awakening. Won't write a huge block. This game is my biggest disappointment ever, bad on every aspect, and the generic and messy time travel story is no different. Still didn't play Fates because of this one (and Awakening was one of my most anticipated games too, I have to stop anticipating...). 

Last edited by Faelco - on 06 March 2019