By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendo Switch turns 2 today!

Congrats to the little console that proves all hyperboles from the haters and all the euphemisms from the fans wrong simultaneously.

Around the Network
Shiken said:

Lucas-Rio said:
We each have our criteria....

Find games that suit my criteria:

- Great games or very good one (exluding Kirby Switch which is way inferior than even the 3DS one)
- No Wii U port
- No Indie game
- Not mainly online based game (I did not subscribe)

You will find that the pool is small , but that's the traditionnal Nintendo games.

Breath of the Wild was a day and date cross gen release

Mario Odyssey

Fire Emblem Warriors (one of the best games of this style mechanic wise)

Octopath Traveler

Smash

Pokemon Lets Go

Mario Plus Rabbids

Xenoblade 2

Xenoblade 2 Torna

Super Mario Party

More than any of the other current gen consoles had to offer by way of exclusives based on your criteria in two years.  And as for good/great current gen multiplats...

Ys VIII

Valkeria Chronicles 4

DOOM

Wolfenstein 2

South Park Fractured But Whole

Disgaea 5

NBA 2k18

NBA 2k19

Starlink

Dragonball FighterZ

Dragonball Xenoverse 2

Crash N Sane

Mega Man 11

Attack on Titan

Sonic Mania

And Various JRPGs

So even by only going by your criteria, the Switch has a solid library so far just off of the top of my head.  I took the liberty of excluding last gen ports on other systems as well, or this list could have easily doubled.  If you applied the same rules to the PS4 and X1, the list would be much smaller than what you see here so I would say that is pretty good.  But this is not about them I only listed these to help you out based on your criteria.  Take away your limitations, and what you are left with is one fantastic library for only 2 years on the market.  There is a lot to play on Switch, albiet the only real disappointment being the lack of high graphical 3rd party multiplats like Red Dead or Battlefield V.

Honestly I don't find your list specially convincing. There are some great games, the one I already possess, but not much more. Let's go is "my first pokemon" targeted for Go player, Fire emblem warrior is a spin off and dynasty warrior like. Super Mario Party is probably great if you want to play party games with your children though.

The traditionnal Nintendo high quality games, and other exciting games have been lacking severly in 2018. Second half of 2019 look way better.

S.Peelman said:
Why do people refuse to get a game if it's a WiiU port?

Of they have a WiiU, there is little incentive to buy a game twice.  For example, I have Xenoblade X on WiiU, so the odds of me buying it again on Switch are low.  I did not have Bayo 2 or Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze however so I did buy those.  I also bought Hyrule Warriors 3 (WiiU, 3DS, Switch) times, but I am a Zelda Nut so that is the exception.

For most gamers, WiiU ports are fine as their install base was limited.  They are great games and new to most people, however many people have  WiiU on this site.  So what you are seeing is a vocal minority not counting them, but that does not mean that they do not have good reasons on a personal level.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Nogamez said:
S.Peelman said:

Who are these mysterious "people" you refer too? I believe Mk8D is at 10mill, BotW ( same day release i know but still a port, just not a late port) 10 mill, bayonetta 1.5 mill, rayman and lego city a few hundred k, NSMBU probs around 2 million. They are selling far, far better than their Wii U versions.

If you mean abit of negativity on here it probably because we all owned a Wii u so there abit pointless really for us

This thread.

Lucas-Rio said:
S.Peelman said:

Because they have played them on Wii U  and can turn it on if they want to replay it instead of paying 60$ again?

Okay. I don’t do that either for most games, but that’s not what it sounds like in this thread in plenty of posts. To me multiple posts here sound like “It’s old so it’s bad.”

Lucas-Rio said:
Shiken said:

Breath of the Wild was a day and date cross gen release

Mario Odyssey

Fire Emblem Warriors (one of the best games of this style mechanic wise)

Octopath Traveler

Smash

Pokemon Lets Go

Mario Plus Rabbids

Xenoblade 2

Xenoblade 2 Torna

Super Mario Party

More than any of the other current gen consoles had to offer by way of exclusives based on your criteria in two years.  And as for good/great current gen multiplats...

Ys VIII

Valkeria Chronicles 4

DOOM

Wolfenstein 2

South Park Fractured But Whole

Disgaea 5

NBA 2k18

NBA 2k19

Starlink

Dragonball FighterZ

Dragonball Xenoverse 2

Crash N Sane

Mega Man 11

Attack on Titan

Sonic Mania

And Various JRPGs

So even by only going by your criteria, the Switch has a solid library so far just off of the top of my head.  I took the liberty of excluding last gen ports on other systems as well, or this list could have easily doubled.  If you applied the same rules to the PS4 and X1, the list would be much smaller than what you see here so I would say that is pretty good.  But this is not about them I only listed these to help you out based on your criteria.  Take away your limitations, and what you are left with is one fantastic library for only 2 years on the market.  There is a lot to play on Switch, albiet the only real disappointment being the lack of high graphical 3rd party multiplats like Red Dead or Battlefield V.

Honestly I don't find your list specially convincing. There are some great games, the one I already possess, but not much more. Let's go is "my first pokemon" targeted for Go player, Fire emblem warrior is a spin off and dynasty warrior like. Super Mario Party is probably great if you want to play party games with your children though.

The traditionnal Nintendo high quality games, and other exciting games have been lacking severly in 2018. Second half of 2019 look way better.

In terms of traditional higher quality Nintendo games, yeah the first half of 2018 was a bust.  Smash helped out at the end, but 2017 and 2019 are clearly the heavier hitting years when it comes to Nintendo games for sure.  I was just listing off my opinions to compare and contrast with yours is all.  I had a lot to play 3rd party wise on Switch, so I still had a lot to play.  If those games do not suit you and you want traditional Nintendo games or you have a PS4/X1 and portability is not a factor for you, I can see your disappointment.

Fire Emblem Warriors being a Dynasty Warriors spin off does not make it a bad game.  It is a very good game and actually better than most Dynasty Warrior games/spin offs.  But of you do not like those games, then you do not like those games.  It was not in your criteria so I listed it.

Super Mario Party is great...if you have people to play with.  I play with my son and his friend almost everyday now and have a blast.  It is fully functional solo, but you will not have near as much fun.

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:

Congratulations, Switch.

There hasn't been a single day when I felt bored of it yet, and I think there won't be one for a long time to come. It's a great console with so far a magnificent library, and it's game selection still keeps getting better.

I genuinely envy you. 

Some highs and lows in its first two years. There's already some phenomenal exclusives and some great multiplats available. The first-party content could be even better though, and the online and multimedia aspects are abysmal.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I would like to point out my major disappointment...Switch Online. All they really need to do to remedy everything is add the Switch online app to the Switch itself. This whole needing a phone to message or chat for games that don't have it built into them is BS and Nintendo really dropped the ball here. Here is to hoping they get their shit together with their online service.

Where does the time go?

S.Peelman said:

Why on Earth would I want to buy a game I already played to death in 2014 and can play again for free anytime I want should I desire?

I want fresh new experiences, not just the same old been-there-done-that titles repackaged.