Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best villains in gaming

Dr Breen Half- life 2  Becoming a willing collaborator and using your bureaucratic position to wage  psychological warfare to undermine your race whilst preaching everything he was doing was for humanity's sake when the truth was he was only concerned for his own welfare, with humanity heading for eventual extinction, is proof that you don't have to be a psychopath or evil warlord to be a villain.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 01 March 2019

Around the Network

I'll start with one.

Luca Blight - Suikoden 2

Self explanatory from the video: https://youtu.be/BhNCbGDE4GI?t=73

But one of the main reasons I liked him so much was because in a world full of magic and supernatural abilities, he stood out because he had none of that. And he was somehow still very menacing.

Last edited by Hiku - on 02 March 2019

I have to say that the older I grow the more I realize I have never really experienced a game who's villain has resonated with me long term. I guess I used to be pretty into Halo's story, and those campaigns still have an impact on me when I think about them, but there are so many different villains over the course of that series.

So unfortunately I'll say none. I don't really think gaming has resonated with me from a story perspective as much as it has with others.

Zelda fans are the worst 

Wario, he is definitely number one. Number two goes to Man-bat from Arkham Knight.

Hmmm. Definitely The Illusive Man from Mass Effect.
Twilight Princess Ganondorf.
Albert Wesker.

Around the Network

Kefka from Final Fantasy VI is my favorite. He's cruel, ruthless, and accomplished his goals.

Kain from the Legacy of Kain series (Soul Reaver are part of it)

Kane from the Command and Conquer series

Ganondorf (and, by extension, Ganon), the great hijacker from the Legend of Zelda series.

The Duck Hunt Dog (he's just snickering at you for reading this!)

Kreia/Darth Traya from KotOR 2. Major spoiler if you haven't played it yet, so if you want to play it sometime, please avoid looking the spoiler. 

NightlyPoe said:
EA?

Activision: hold my beer

THQ: hold my brandy

Capcom and Konami: hold our sake

Ubisoft: hold my bordeaux wine

Shitty indie devs: hold our craft beer

Paradox Interactive and CD Project RED: Whoooo, free drinks!

The Boss. It’s rare that I cry when finishing the villain

I am Iron Man

Kefka comes to mind first. Basically one of the most successful vilain in vg history, it shall not go unoticed.

Also ... him.

Probably just because of his English VA though :P

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Luca Blight is always my go-to answer for this question.  I think part of that is that he went out like a bloody star.  I'll never forget his last stand:

"It took hundreds to kill me but I killed humans by the thousands!!!! Look at me!!!! I am sublime!!!! I am the true face of evil!!!!"

One villain I never really got the appeal of was Vaas from Far Cry 3.  He was just a minor warlord who didn't really stand out to me.  

Really, the storytelling in video games usually has to be so basic that it's hard to mold a great villain from scratch.  You look at absolutely amazing villains, like Johan from Monster, and it's obvious how hard it would be to incorporate that much development in an interactive medium.