By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How many languages do you speak?

How many languages do you speak?

1 14 17.07%

2 38 46.34%

3-4 25 30.49%

5-6 5 6.10%

7+ 0 0%

Total:82

I am curious to see the stats when more people will have answered.

French

English

Hungarian

Around the Network
barneystinson69 said:

‘Merican!

I blame my parents for never teaching me their native tongues, but oh well.

I know! I could already know German if my mom taught it to me when I was young. I think parents who know other languages should be encouraged to teach their kids how to speak it.

Two, French and English.

I've got a base in Spanish but nowhere near fluent.

Signature goes here!

Only Japanese.

1. Luxembourgish
  2. German
  3. French
  4. English
  5. Tagalog (living in the Philippines right now, not really fluent yet)
  6. Yenish, if it counts
Also started learning Japanese (very tough!), and speak bits of Dutch, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese (can read those languages, but can't really speak them yet apart from a couple words)
Dragon4xD said:
Since I am from Luxembourg I speak:
-Portuguese (from my parents)
-Luxembourgish
-German
-French
-English

In the future I will have to learn Dutch because I'm studying in Belgium and maybe if I have enough time I would like to study a bit japanese since I like it's culture.

Hei, nach een Lëtzebuerger

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:

1. Luxembourgish
  2. German
  3. French
  4. English
  6. Yenish, if it counts
Also started learning Japanese (very tough!), and speak bits of Dutch, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese (can read those languages, but can't really speak them yet apart from a couple words)

How did you come to learn Yenish? was it just for fun or something in life required it?

Poliwrathlord said:
Bofferbrauer2 said: 
  1. Luxembourgish
  2. German
  3. French
  4. English
  6. Yenish, if it counts

How did you come to learn Yenish? was it just for fun or something in life required it?

The part of the city of Luxembourg where I grew up has a history with Yenish (also called Lakerschmus there, meaning language of the ragged people, as in the 19th century many people in that part where trading with rags. How the times have changed...), thus we learned it both organically and some bits at school. Also, some expressions out of the Yenish language have made it into the youth language of Luxembourg, like "Schécks" for girl or "kuff d'Schmul" for shut up.

English and Irish.

I can speak inuktitut and japanese

English, Japanese, and Spanish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.