By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What year do you think Switch's successor will release?

I think it will release in...

2021 5 8.77%

2022 7 12.28%

2023 27 47.37%

2024 12 21.05%

2025 or later 6 10.53%

Total:57
curl-6 said:
Wman1996 said: 

They also need time for a lot of successful Switch games to get sequels on Switch. Super Mario Odyssey 2, Breath of the Wild 2, Super Mario Party 2, Mario Kart 9 (sequel to a game that was ported to Switch anyway), Splatoon 3, etc.  I think we'll get the next Smash in 2024 for the 25th anniversary, but that would thus be on the Switch's successor.

Eh, while I do expect we'll get a second 3D Mario on Switch, (at least I damn well hope so)  I reckon the next mainline Zelda will be cross-gen like BOTW and Twilight Princess, and that they'll save Kart 9 and Splatoon 3 for Switch's successor.

Man... That would mean 2 consoles in a row without an exclusive Zelda. I guess it doesn't matter much. But it feels weird.

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network

@FarleyMcFirefly Which is why I think we'll get another. I think they'll pull the Majora's Mask route where they reuse a lot of assets and art styles while doing some new things. I think it would be ridiculous to make fans wait all the way until the next platform launch for another 3D Zelda. I think it would completely disregard the momentum they can pick up from Breath of the Wild. I see another 3D Zelda coming out between 2020-2022.  

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

My money is on late 2022. With the exception of the NES-SNES transition (almost six years), most Nintendo consoles have a five year window. SNES came out in August of 91, while N64 arrived in September of 96. Gamecube dropped in late 2001, and Wii arrived in 2006. SNES and Wii U were the only two Nintendo consoles that didn't follow the five year pattern.

I'm thinking 2022 for a reveal and a 2023 launch.

BanjoPickles said:
My money is on late 2022. With the exception of the NES-SNES transition (almost six years), most Nintendo consoles have a five year window. SNES came out in August of 91, while N64 arrived in September of 96. Gamecube dropped in late 2001, and Wii arrived in 2006. SNES and Wii U were the only two Nintendo consoles that didn't follow the five year pattern.

Remember that Switch is not strictly a home console for example looking at the portable side of things DS came out in 2004 with 3DS arriving in 2011 8 years later.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
BanjoPickles said:

Remember that Switch is not strictly a home console for example looking at the portable side of things DS came out in 2004 with 3DS arriving in 2011 8 years later.

What in the world? It was 6 years and 3 months.

Nov 2004

Feb 2011

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

late 2022, 5 years from launch. In my opinion its life is not going to be as long as past portable consoles, nor as short as the WiiU, the succesor most likely is going to come out at the same time as a new revision to the NS to keep supporting the system for a couple years, the same way it was done with the new 2DS line.

Gaming on:

PC:
Asus Z87-A  |  i7 4770K  |  MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
G. Skill Ripjaws X Series 32 GB DDR3 2133 mhz  |  WD Blue 1TB SSD & WD Blue HDD 1TB

Consoles:
WiiU
Switch (Docked)
PS 3 / 4

Handhelds:
New 3ds XL
Switch (Portable Mode ;P )

zorg1000 said:
Wyrdness said:

What in the world? It was 6 years and 3 months.

Nov 2004

Feb 2011

My misrtake was looking at the N3DS dates when counting.

Feb/March 2024

In 2021 we will see Switch Pro/+.

2024. no reason to rush. It is doing great, no signals of sudden dying (like wii), and nintendo themselves said they want a long switch life.

As my bets for it:
-PS4 like visuals on 1080p 6"screen. Less bessels, so smaller then current switch.
-An addictional version will also be sold. A foldable version. Regular size as the base version when folded, bigger screen size when unfolded. When semi folded, allows 2 played tabletop, each facing each other, looking at is own side of screen.
-2 Dock versions: a mini regular dock that just streams to tv, and a 4k dock that uses deep learning to generate a 4k image from the 1080p input (Similar to DLSS in new NVIDIA rtx boards).
-full BC.
-now joycon models that change form, the handle opens in 2, and allows better ergonomy in either modes (I wish I knew to draw).