By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What year do you think Switch's successor will release?

I think it will release in...

2021 5 8.77%

2022 7 12.28%

2023 27 47.37%

2024 12 21.05%

2025 or later 6 10.53%

Total:57
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

I'd be over the flipping moon if we got a (worthy) BOTW sequel in 2020. I guess after the incredibly drawn out production cycles of Skyward Sword and BOTW I've just been conditioned to expecting Zelda to take forever haha.

I'm assuming it's a Majora's Mask style sequel that reuses the engine & assets, possibly even the same map rather than a full blown everything from the ground up type of game.

The fuck? No! Majora's Mask wasnt even the same map. 

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
zorg1000 said:

I'm assuming it's a Majora's Mask style sequel that reuses the engine & assets, possibly even the same map rather than a full blown everything from the ground up type of game.

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

Ugh, don't think I'd buy that tbh. I know BOTW's map too well, I want a new world to explore.

Guys calm down, I was throwing out ways that it's possible to have a sequel next year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

curl-6 said:

Ugh, don't think I'd buy that tbh. I know BOTW's map too well, I want a new world to explore.

Guys calm down, I was throwing out ways that it's possible to have a sequel next year.

I know you were, I don't think that's the case - I'm just saying that's a horrible idea.

They've literally had more than three years of development time in that case, and using the same engine, I would just consider that incompetence at that point haha. This ain't GameFreak. 

Would love to hear more from those who voted 2021 or "2025 or later".

Only a four year lifespan for one of the fastest selling systems ever or 8+ years before replacement both seem pretty out there, at least to me, I'd like to hear the reasoning.

curl-6 said:

Only a four year lifespan for one of the fastest selling systems ever or 8+ years before replacement both seem pretty out there, at least to me, I'd like to hear the reasoning.

Well to be fair GBA had less than 4 years when its successor came out and it was one of the fastest selling systems ever. It released in Spring of 2001 and shipped over 65 million by the end of 2004. That's right there with systems like PS2, Wii & PS4.

With that said I highly doubt Switch will have a successor by 2021.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Well to be fair GBA had less than 4 years when its successor came out and it was one of the fastest selling systems ever. It released in Spring of 2001 and shipped over 65 million by the end of 2004. That's right there with systems like PS2, Wii & PS4.

My portable history is a little hazy, but the DS was brought relatively early in order to counter the PSP wasn't it?

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

My portable history is a little hazy, but the DS was brought relatively early in order to counter the PSP wasn't it?

Correct, like I said, I doubt it will happen but there is at least an example of such a thing happening.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Correct, like I said, I doubt it will happen but there is at least an example of such a thing happening.

True, it's just for that scenario to repeat we'd be talking about a similar forcing of their hand. I'm curious as to what 2021 voters think will compel Nintendo to cut Switch short.

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

True, it's just for that scenario to repeat we'd be talking about a similar forcing of their hand. I'm curious as to what 2021 voters think will compel Nintendo to cut Switch short.

Ya I have no idea, maybe they think PS5 will be a hybrid and steal Switch's thunder (not gonna happen)? Or more likely they are just trolling.

curl-6 said:

I personally voted 2023 but can see a possible 8 year plus run before a replacement as they have a monopoly on the portable market so they could possibly employ a GB to GBC like tactic where instead of a successor they bring out an iteration of the Switch that's more capable yet fully BC and transition to the new sku. Similar to X1 to X1X only they fully push the new model like it's a successor to get another gens worth of life out of the Switch before moving onto a successor.