By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You have it Backwards, Playstation NOW leads above Xbox GamePass

Conina said:
forevercloud3000 said:

Gamepass doesn't win anything when Now has more games, the ability to download some of the games too as well as streaming, and an exclusive library in the hundreds available of games people actually want to play. The Stats don't reflect it and the raw subscribers don't.

How many of these games are exclusive to the PlayStation ecosystem?

On first glance I see

• Uncharted 1 - 3 and The Last of Us (only the PS3 versions of these 4 games and only as stream with lag + artifacts... not the best way to play these games with the PS4 versions available for years)
  • 5 Ratchet & Clank games (PS3 stream, no download option, PS4 remake not included)
  • The Sly Collection (PS3 stream of the PS2 games, no download option, PS3 successor not included)
  • Ico & Shadow of the Colossus (PS3 stream of the PS2 games, no download option, PS4 remake not included)
  • Infamous 1 + 2 + DLC (PS3 stream, no download option, PS4 successors not included)
  • 5 God of War games (PS3 stream, no download option)
  • God of War III Remastered (PS4 stream + download!)
  • Twisted Metal (PS3 stream, no download option)
  • MotorStorm: Apocalypse (PS3 stream, no download option)
  • Echochrome (PS3 stream, no download option)
  • Killzone 1 - 3 (PS3 stream, no download option)
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall  (PS4 stream + download!)
  • Bloodborne (PS4 stream + download!)
  • Until Dawn, Beyond: Two Souls and Heavy Rain (PS4 stream + download!)
  • DriveClub (PS4 stream, no download option?)
  • some small stuff (Echochrome, Resogun, The Unfinished Swan...)
Not bad, but neither hundreds of exclusives either.

The Playstation PSNow page advertises 275+ games available for download to the console. I am not sure which are the ones available.

I can say "Ones that people actually want to play" because sales numbers are pooling in PSNow's favor over Gamepass. They do apparently prefer the shoddy Now versions in stream and/or download. It is an attractive library to somebody, more than Gamepass.

Picking apart the streamable games on technical level is pointless. Streaming is NEVER going to offer a superior experience to native hardware. It will always be a question is it good enough? And for many....it is. It will also improve with time.

Like......are we expecting xCloud to not be bottlenecked by internet speeds? Are we expecting Stream gaming to offer no latency....when local game performance usually still has latency? While it might undoubtedly be better than PSNow latency......but how much better? 

I think all of that is a pipe dream fantasy and wishful thinking.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network
forevercloud3000 said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

Tried both PS Now and GamePass. Due to how bad PS Now was with streaming, I'll take GamePass over it. Still not a fan of streaming for gaming in the PS Now sense. This is why I'm not giddy over GamePass news on Switch. Not sure why people get so heated that people prefer Gamepass over PSNow. Not everyone likes everything Sony does the best and vice versa 

Gonna be interesting to see both of them expanded upon when next gen hits in the next year or so

It's just annoying that people speak of Gamepass as revolutionary for doing what PSNow already does. Gamepass started with direct download but will move to more streaming. PSNow started with Streaming but now has downloads. They started from opposing perspectives with the eventuality they will meet in the same spot, offering both direct downloads where available and Stream. Everyone keeps shitting on PSNow for being mostly a streaming service....yet glorifies the streaming future of xCloud/Gamepass.

As it stands, PSNow has more games available period, and maybe more games than Gamepass has available for download. Now Downloads consist of PS4 and PS2 titles on it and that is a lot. 200+. Gamepass has MS first party and a few 3rd party available on Release Date on it. PSNow has the larger stable of exclusives to draw from period.  It is Netflix vs Hulu in a lot of ways. And the sales data is showing which method is more popular, the Netflix method.

I say this as a person who actually doesn't like streaming and shaky at best on the subscription method of gaming. I just think the data for what we know points to a very different "Market Leader" in this field then what the Media and the internet portrays.

I see where you're coming from but its their opinion and they like Gamepass better, I like it better too. You seem to like Sony better obviously, I just don't see the importance of getting so worked up over some random people thinking Gamepass is way better than PSNow or ''revolutionized''  anything.  PSNow is successful and will continue to be successful regardless of if people think Gamepass is better or ''revolutionary''. 

That's how I see it anyways

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

I don't get people who dislike PS Now. I played a great amount of game (discovered most PS3 exclusives on it) with a not-so-great internet connection (arround 5 mbps) on PSTV and it was the future to me. And it's still offers a great library of PS3 games on PS4. If you wanna play Red Dead Redemption on PC, that's the only way you have

forevercloud3000 said:

The Playstation PSNow page advertises 275+ games available for download to the console. I am not sure which are the ones available.

So you are just throw around some numbers all the time and don't even know what you are talking about? That's hilarious!

To help you a bit... it ain't THAT complicated to find out which games are downloadable and which are streaming only: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Now_games

You were also talking about "an exclusive library in the hundreds". The PS Now library has hundreds of games, but only a small fraction of them is exclusive.

Last edited by Conina - on 23 February 2019

forevercloud3000 said:
melbye said:
Gamepass wins because it is available everywhere while PS Now is available in 17 countries or so

And in one country  PSNow subscribers dwarf Gamepass subscriber World Wide. Like 5 times over.

What country?

Around the Network
Manlytears said:

Here is the catch... you don't need hundred f exclusives advantage. You only need some of the few games that people realy want to play as exclusives... like, the averenge gamer only play like 7-10 games in one year, and you only need to make 2-3 of those games exclusives, 2 or 3 of the "must have games" each year.

As I said before. "Mileage may vary. It depends on your prefered genres and how many of the good games in the subscription you already own.oth PS Now and Game Pass should be a great deal for any PlayStation or Xbox gamer who hasn't already built up a big library of the included games... so the younger generation should be happy with the value of these subscriptions."

And here is the catch... the average gamer also wants NEW games, which are currently popular and advertised. And most of the "must have games" on PSNow are 4 - 20 years old, while with GamePass you can play much newer good games like Forza Horizon 4, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Life is Strange 2, Gears of War 4, Halo 5, Just Cause 3, Hellblade, Fallout 4, Quantum Break, Wasteland 2 D.C.

forevercloud3000 said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

Tried both PS Now and GamePass. Due to how bad PS Now was with streaming, I'll take GamePass over it. Still not a fan of streaming for gaming in the PS Now sense. This is why I'm not giddy over GamePass news on Switch. Not sure why people get so heated that people prefer Gamepass over PSNow. Not everyone likes everything Sony does the best and vice versa 

Gonna be interesting to see both of them expanded upon when next gen hits in the next year or so

It's just annoying that people speak of Gamepass as revolutionary for doing what PSNow already does. Gamepass started with direct download but will move to more streaming. PSNow started with Streaming but now has downloads. They started from opposing perspectives with the eventuality they will meet in the same spot, offering both direct downloads where available and Stream. Everyone keeps shitting on PSNow for being mostly a streaming service....yet glorifies the streaming future of xCloud/Gamepass.

As it stands, PSNow has more games available period, and maybe more games than Gamepass has available for download. Now Downloads consist of PS4 and PS2 titles on it and that is a lot. 200+. Gamepass has MS first party and a few 3rd party available on Release Date on it. PSNow has the larger stable of exclusives to draw from period.  It is Netflix vs Hulu in a lot of ways. And the sales data is showing which method is more popular, the Netflix method.

I say this as a person who actually doesn't like streaming and shaky at best on the subscription method of gaming. I just think the data for what we know points to a very different "Market Leader" in this field then what the Media and the internet portrays.

PSNow has been around a lot longer than Gamepass.  Not surprising that it has more subscribers, and more games for that matter.

Essentially people are saying they think that Gamerpass is doing it better and is the more exciting prospect.  And your response is that PSNow has more market share... which is true, but doesn't actually address the arguments people are making.

jason1637 said:

I tried PSNOW on PC sometime last year and it was alright. I prefer gamepass thos cause of the day one launches which afiak psnow does not have.

Right.  The is one of the big differences - day one, AAA games.  

Another big difference is that PSNow had a mediocre reputation, and Gamepass launched to good reviews and happy customers.  Pricing probably plays a roll in this too.  

The download vs. streaming factor is also big right now, but I agree that it's not as big of a deal in the long run.  

Basically, MS improved upon the idea of PS Now a bit in the immediate term, but also with big plans for the future.  So, that gets a lot of attention.  If Sony announces some big plans for PSNow that sound good, it'll get attention too.

LudicrousSpeed said:
thismeintiel said:

At least PS+ actually gave you many more features than just simply being able to play online.  I guess its a good thing Sony forced MS's hand on that one. Though, the point was that Sony was looking at this feature first, MS followed.  Sure, it is nice that they don't require Gold for a smaller amount of Cloud saves.

I don't know if they changed retrieving Cloud saves, as it's been awhile since I have needed to retrieve one.  However, I do know that they do automatically save to the Cloud.  When beginning a new game, it asks you if you wish to have them save automatically or not.

MS wanted to move to all digital much faster than the market wanted to or was ready to, hence the DRM BS from the beginning of the gen.  And Sony didn't want a competing service because it leads to what is happening in the tv/movie streaming market.  Instead of having a couple of streaming sites/apps, now we have every freaking premium channel and movie studio taking away their content and trying to come out with their own streaming sites/apps, all priced at $10-$15 a month. 

If Sony allowed it, it wouldn't have stopped at EA Access.  We'd have Ubisoft Access.  Activision Access.  Bethesda Access.  Rockstar Access.  THQNordic Access.  And so on and so on.  And I'm sure your answer will be let the market decide.  Well, they already did.  They chose Sony and the PS4.  Obviously, having the online market so divided and be so expensive was not appealing to them, or they would have jumped on the Xbox train.

PS+ started as a service focused solely on premium features. They NEEDED more features than XBL in order to make the service appealing. This gen with PS+ being required for online play, you’ve seen a steep drop in quality of PS+ titles. 

I’m not sure what hand you’re stating Sony forced. I’m glad Sony threw in games to PS+ because now all three platforms offer it. But those types of services existed on PC long before. Free media apps not requiring XBLG? Why only give Sony credit for this? Nintendo won the last gen and they had media and social apps requiring no subscription. You can point to a lot of stuff and say Company A did this and now Company B did this. I guarantee after the ease of complete BC Xbox has this gen, Sony will follow suit next gen. Again, not something started by Microsoft, but Sony dropped it two gens in a row now. Do you like having the option to download PS Now games? I guess you can thank GamePass for that. Etc etc.

What “smaller amount of cloud saves” are you referring to? Are Xbone save sizes generally smaller than PS4? That would certainly explain why Sony has to increase their size limit. Are you implying Xbone owners have less storage space? That’s not correct. Microsoft does it the smart way, you’re given storage space on a per game basis, so the bigger library you have, the larger storage space. And they can tweak the limit on a per game basis based on how big the games save files are. I remember reading that LBP3 and Driveclub saves combined, just those two games alone, added up to 800MB. Imagine being limited to 1GB in space total, and just two games took up 70-80% of that. In the XBL system you’d have a limit for each game.

Youre right about the whole Ubi Access stuff. I mean, I love using Ubisoft Access for free games and the Rockstar Access is pretty good too. Activision Access even gives you exclusive stuff in Destiny. Of course, I’m kidding with all of this, that whole “every publisher will start their own service!” doomsday bullshit was never anything more than weak excuse making to cover Sony’s butt. EA says Access is a success, and they added it to PC as well. And yet we haven’t seen anything from other publishers. File that prediction under the same file as your numerous “Microsoft is leaving the industry” hot takes.

You can cling to sales numbers if you want, they’re not at all relevant to anything we’ve discussed here. Imagine trying to scoreboard because your argument can’t stand on its own, lol.

That first statement is pure hyperbole.  It has some good months and some average ones, just like Games with Gold.  Mileage varies for each user.

And I agree that all companies borrow ideas.  It's really what this thread is about.  The American gaming media loves to highlight everything MS does like it is the first or first notable time something has been done.  I guess it could be just an American bias.  Though, I suspect some advertising dollars are being spent here.

I'm just stating you get less storage space to save to the cloud if you don't have Gold, I believe it is 512 MB.  Or at least that is how it used to be.  It looks like they changed it to be on a per game basis, now.  Anyway, wasn't really making a point with it, as it is a nice feature.  You now have a limit of 100GB of storage with Plus, so you should be fine there.

What a horrible mischaracterization of what I actually said.  I said they would leave the console making biz, not leave the industry altogether.  And yes, that is exactly what would have happened if EA Access was allowed on the PSN and succeeded. It's incredibly naive of you if you truly believe other companies wouldn't want the same thing seeing EA make money off of it. You can try to dismiss it as much as you like, but this very thing can be seen in the streaming market.  And while EA Access may make EA some money, I doubt it is the success you make it out to be.  Have any stats on the number of users and how much money it makes for them?  Cause if it was anything substantial they would give them.  Much smaller numbers than if it was on the PS4.

Numbers can't be given to back up an argument?  Hmm, guess you are on the wrong site.

JWeinCom said: 

Essentially people are saying they think that Gamerpass is .... the more exciting prospect.  

This is really what it all comes down to.  MS succeeded in getting people excited about Gamepass.  That doesn't even necessarily mean that people think it's better, or more important, more significant, or anything like that.  They're just excited, because it seems like a foreshadowing of the future of gaming. For whatever reason, PlayStation didn't succeed in getting that kind of buzz around PS Now. I don't know that they even tried.