By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - You have it Backwards, Playstation NOW leads above Xbox GamePass

COKTOE said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

PS+ started as a service focused solely on premium features. They NEEDED more features than XBL in order to make the service appealing. This gen with PS+ being required for online play, you’ve seen a steep drop in quality of PS+ titles. 

I’m not sure what hand you’re stating Sony forced. I’m glad Sony threw in games to PS+ because now all three platforms offer it. But those types of services existed on PC long before. Free media apps not requiring XBLG? Why only give Sony credit for this? Nintendo won the last gen and they had media and social apps requiring no subscription. You can point to a lot of stuff and say Company A did this and now Company B did this. I guarantee after the ease of complete BC Xbox has this gen, Sony will follow suit next gen. Again, not something started by Microsoft, but Sony dropped it two gens in a row now. Do you like having the option to download PS Now games? I guess you can thank GamePass for that. Etc etc.

What “smaller amount of cloud saves” are you referring to? Are Xbone save sizes generally smaller than PS4? That would certainly explain why Sony has to increase their size limit. Are you implying Xbone owners have less storage space? That’s not correct. Microsoft does it the smart way, you’re given storage space on a per game basis, so the bigger library you have, the larger storage space. And they can tweak the limit on a per game basis based on how big the games save files are. I remember reading that LBP3 and Driveclub saves combined, just those two games alone, added up to 800MB. Imagine being limited to 1GB in space total, and just two games took up 70-80% of that. In the XBL system you’d have a limit for each game.

Youre right about the whole Ubi Access stuff. I mean, I love using Ubisoft Access for free games and the Rockstar Access is pretty good too. Activision Access even gives you exclusive stuff in Destiny. Of course, I’m kidding with all of this, that whole “every publisher will start their own service!” doomsday bullshit was never anything more than weak excuse making to cover Sony’s butt. EA says Access is a success, and they added it to PC as well. And yet we haven’t seen anything from other publishers. File that prediction under the same file as your numerous “Microsoft is leaving the industry” hot takes.

You can cling to sales numbers if you want, they’re not at all relevant to anything we’ve discussed here. Imagine trying to scoreboard because your argument can’t stand on its own, lol.

That's a crock of **** right there.  There have been off months, but to use the term "steep decline" to describe the trajectory of the PS+ offerings this gen is nonsense. Are you even aware of what games were part of the service in 2018?

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/12/guide_all_free_ps_plus_games_in_2018

Of course I’m aware.

According to Sony’s 2018 stats page, I downloaded five of them, saving me a whopping $25.

Sure there have been good months. But overall this gen the PS4 offerings have mostly been meh at best.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Intrinsic said:

The hate is strong in this thread.

Shockingly enough one company is being smashed for already ding what other companies are promising to eventually do.

And said limitations lauded on the one company are all policy software things. Basically things that will be easy to support if the need is ever there..

I dont get why there is hate for either service, PS Now and Game Pass both offer great value and by the looks of it they are both going to continue improving

As for most subsciption services, mileage may vary. It depends on your prefered genres and how many of the good games in the subscription you already own.

Both PS Now and Game Pass should be a great deal for any PlayStation or Xbox gamer who hasn't already built up a big library of the included games... so the younger generation should be happy with the value of these subscriptions.

I myself look through the PS Now library and almost all of the interesting games I already own (bought the retail or digital versions) or already have access to (instant game collection of PS+). And I can play these PS1, PS2 and PS3 games in better quality on my PS3 (without streaming artifacts, without lag) or many of the included multiplatform games in much better quality on my PC. At least the PS4 games are now downloadable, so PS Now is finally getting better... but even the PS4 games on PS Now are years old and I already have all the good ones.

I also already have most of the good games included in GamePass, but I get some value out of the 2018/2019 games included in the subscription. So far I paid €3 for 4 months of GamePass (1 free trial month in November, €1 promo in December, €2 promo for two months now). I'm now playing the third month of the awesome Forza Horizon 4, played through Lucky's Tale and ReCore, played the first episode of the gorgeous "Life is Strange 2" day one. I had the chance to play "Sea of Thieves" for a few hours, but that game ain't for me. The next days I will play through Crackdown 3 and after that Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I'll probably also try out a dozen of other GamePass games until the subscription runs out in 6 weeks (f.e. State of Decay 2, ARK, We Happy Few and Ruiner).

melbye said:
Gamepass wins because it is available everywhere while PS Now is available in 17 countries or so

And in one country  PSNow subscribers dwarf Gamepass subscriber World Wide. Like 5 times over.

Gamepass doesn't win anything when Now has more games, the ability to download some of the games too as well as streaming, and an exclusive library in the hundreds available of games people actually want to play. The Stats don't reflect it and the raw subscribers don't.

The only thing saying that is certain Media outlets and a small minority online.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

forevercloud3000 said:
melbye said:
Gamepass wins because it is available everywhere while PS Now is available in 17 countries or so

And in one country  PSNow subscribers dwarf Gamepass subscriber World Wide. Like 5 times over.

Gamepass doesn't win anything when Now has more games, the ability to download some of the games too as well as streaming, and an exclusive library in the hundreds available of games people actually want to play. The Stats don't reflect it and the raw subscribers don't.

The only thing saying that is certain Media outlets and a small minority online.

What are PS Now and Game Pass subscription numbers?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Tried both PS Now and GamePass. Due to how bad PS Now was with streaming, I'll take GamePass over it. Still not a fan of streaming for gaming in the PS Now sense. This is why I'm not giddy over GamePass news on Switch. Not sure why people get so heated that people prefer Gamepass over PSNow. Not everyone likes everything Sony does the best and vice versa 

Gonna be interesting to see both of them expanded upon when next gen hits in the next year or so

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
forevercloud3000 said:

They have not given the raw numbers, but from the math some people have done from the sales data put forth about it it is estimated 5:1 ratio.

Greatness Awaits

forevercloud3000 said:

How many of these games are exclusive to the PlayStation ecosystem?

On first glance I see

• Uncharted 1 - 3 and The Last of Us (only the PS3 versions of these 4 games and only as stream with lag + artifacts... not the best way to play these games with the PS4 versions available for years)
  • 5 Ratchet & Clank games (PS3 stream, no download option, PS4 remake not included)
  • The Sly Collection (PS3 stream of the PS2 games, no download option, PS3 successor not included)
  • Ico & Shadow of the Colossus (PS3 stream of the PS2 games, no download option, PS4 remake not included)
  • Infamous 1 + 2 + DLC (PS3 stream, no download option, PS4 successors not included)
  • 5 God of War games (PS3 stream, no download option)
  • God of War III Remastered (PS4 stream + download!)
  • Twisted Metal (PS3 stream, no download option)
  • MotorStorm: Apocalypse (PS3 stream, no download option)
  • Echochrome (PS3 stream, no download option)
  • Killzone 1 - 3 (PS3 stream, no download option)
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall  (PS4 stream + download!)
  • Bloodborne (PS4 stream + download!)
  • Until Dawn, Beyond: Two Souls and Heavy Rain (PS4 stream + download!)
  • DriveClub (PS4 stream, no download option?)
  • some small stuff (Echochrome, Resogun, The Unfinished Swan...)
Not bad, but neither hundreds of exclusives either.

PwerlvlAmy said:

Tried both PS Now and GamePass. Due to how bad PS Now was with streaming, I'll take GamePass over it. Still not a fan of streaming for gaming in the PS Now sense. This is why I'm not giddy over GamePass news on Switch. Not sure why people get so heated that people prefer Gamepass over PSNow. Not everyone likes everything Sony does the best and vice versa 

Gonna be interesting to see both of them expanded upon when next gen hits in the next year or so

It's just annoying that people speak of Gamepass as revolutionary for doing what PSNow already does. Gamepass started with direct download but will move to more streaming. PSNow started with Streaming but now has downloads. They started from opposing perspectives with the eventuality they will meet in the same spot, offering both direct downloads where available and Stream. Everyone keeps shitting on PSNow for being mostly a streaming service....yet glorifies the streaming future of xCloud/Gamepass.

As it stands, PSNow has more games available period, and maybe more games than Gamepass has available for download. Now Downloads consist of PS4 and PS2 titles on it and that is a lot. 200+. Gamepass has MS first party and a few 3rd party available on Release Date on it. PSNow has the larger stable of exclusives to draw from period.  It is Netflix vs Hulu in a lot of ways. And the sales data is showing which method is more popular, the Netflix method.

I say this as a person who actually doesn't like streaming and shaky at best on the subscription method of gaming. I just think the data for what we know points to a very different "Market Leader" in this field then what the Media and the internet portrays.

Greatness Awaits

forevercloud3000 said:
zorg1000 said:

They have not given the raw numbers, but from the math some people have done from the sales data put forth about it it is estimated 5:1 ratio.

What math? What sales data? 

If you’re talking about that pie chart you posted earlier, Sony’s own financial report disproves it, as does subscriber numbers mentioned by Papa Phil. They surveyed some people and extrapolated the data but that doesn’t make it accurate. It’s also revenue based and PS Now costs more than the other services listed, it should generate a lot of revenue.

Conina said:
forevercloud3000 said:

How many of these games are exclusive to the PlayStation ecosystem?

On first glance I see

• Uncharted 1 - 3 and The Last of Us (only the PS3 versions of these 4 games and only as stream with lag + artifacts... not the best way to play these games with the PS4 versions available for years)
  • 5 Ratchet & Clank games (PS3 stream, no download option, PS4 remake not included)
  • The Sly Collection (PS3 stream of the PS2 games, no download option, PS3 successor not included)
  • Ico & Shadow of the Colossus (PS3 stream of the PS2 games, no download option, PS4 remake not included)
  • Infamous 1 + 2 + DLC (PS3 stream, no download option, PS4 successors not included)
  • 5 God of War games (PS3 stream, no download option)
  • God of War III Remastered (PS4 stream + download!)
  • Twisted Metal (PS3 stream, no download option)
  • MotorStorm: Apocalypse (PS3 stream, no download option)
  • Echochrome (PS3 stream, no download option)
  • Killzone 1 - 3 (PS3 stream, no download option)
  • Killzone: Shadow Fall  (PS4 stream + download!)
  • Bloodborne (PS4 stream + download!)
  • Until Dawn, Beyond: Two Souls and Heavy Rain (PS4 stream + download!)
  • DriveClub (PS4 stream, no download option?)
  • some small stuff (Echochrome, Resogun, The Unfinished Swan...)
Not bad, but neither hundreds of exclusives either.

Here is the catch... you don't need hundred f exclusives advantage. You only need some of the few games that people realy want to play as exclusives... like, the averenge gamer only play like 7-10 games in one year, and you only need to make 2-3 of those games exclusives, 2 or 3 of the "must have games" each year.

That said, when it comes to "Must have PS exclusives" vs "Must have xbox exclusives"... well... based on user base, sales, reviews, etc. I think Sony got a large advanyage here.